Yuck!

Lefthook

I always hold my crochet hook underhand like a knife (i.e., not like a pencil). A few minutes ago, I got it in my head to try the other hold. Going from one to the other is like the first few times reading in a moving car or riding in a backward-facing train seat. My fingers also wouldn’t follow any directions sent to them by my brain, not even YO (much like me trying to knit). :thumbdown

I have found the same thing when trying to switch. People who use a pencil hold seem to move faster than I do, but I'll have to stay with my knife hold to avoid frustration.

Hmmm Sylviaf I don't seem to have that problem. My fiance calls me the crochet factory,because I crochet so fast and yes I hold with the knife grip too. I do only use the Susan Bates bamboo handle hooks,I bought one of those new Etimo hooks and I DON'T like it,the texture felt strange and it has that closed head that I don't really like either,don't mind the Clover closed heads,but I much prefer my Susan Bates! :yes

My grandma used the pencil hold. She taught me but I could never get it. I hold the knife way. She could not understand how I could crochet that way but I just never could make my hand do what I wanted the other way. lol

Funny, my dd is the same way. She can't do the pencil way either.

• 3 weeks later...

someone needs to write a thesis on the knife vs the pencil hold is it genetic lol? doesn't seem so as so many teaching the underlings their grip but gasp in wonderment why little john or sue chooses opposite grips? does one use different parts of brain when learning or finding their grip knife vs pencil..is hand and or finger shape a factor? seems even when we are taught one way we go to either or regardless of how we are taught, does being or leaning toward being amidexterious use one grip more than other? does the mobility of the wrist play a factor in choosing?..ok will stop boring you all but I really do wonder about this enigma..

I am a pencil with tendicies to middle finger throw

I hold my crochet hooks like a pencil. I don't remember (since I was a preteen when I was taught to crochet and now I am 59) if I was taught that way or if that was the way that was most comfortable to me and I held it naturally. Even when using hooks like L or M and even higher, I still hold them like a pencil. It is all a matter of what is the most comfortable for you.

LI Roe

I do the knife hold. I recently bought a brittany wooden hook. Pricey, but after all these years I thought that I would treat myself. I like using it, now that I am used to it. But I find that I have to turn the hook to face me. When I use my old Boye metal hooks, the hook head has to face down. Go figure.

Archived