Magic Loop/Circle

lilygirl115

Question

I can't get the Magic Loop no matter how hard I tried. I just completely gave up on one thing I wanted to make. I have watched the youtube videos and it just doesn't work for me. So what else can I do when a pattern calls for that, like when it say 6 sc in the magic loop? Thanks:)

14 answers to this question

Try doing a ch3 and then sl st to first chain ch1 and do 6 sc in ring.

Don't feel bad, I've crocheted for more years than I can count and can't "get" the magic ring and the chainless foundation rows :lol

You know how to make a slip knot to get the yarn on the hook, right?

If you are like me you probably do it without thinking. Make one slowly, absurdly loose and stop before tightening it. That's it! You have the ring (which, if pulled tight, would become the slip knot), and a loop coming out of the ring with your hook in it. Leave the loop-that-isn't-a-knot loose, make the required number of stitches into the loop-that-isn't-a-knot. The nice thing about this method is you can make a huge number of stitches into the loop and pull it very tight, and it looks neater IMHO.

When I make a slip knot to start a chain, the tail end of the yarn goes into the knot and the long (skein) end is the slippy part that you pull tight. When I make a Magic Loop I make it backwards from that, so the tail end is the part that will make the loop smaller. Then crochet into your loop and pull on the tail to close it up. (and figure out how to secure the end so it doesn't loosen up on you again, I usually hold the tail along with the working end and crochet a stitch or two with the doubled yarn.)

You know how to make a slip knot to get the yarn on the hook, right?

If you are like me you probably do it without thinking. Make one slowly, absurdly loose and stop before tightening it. That's it! You have the ring (which, if pulled tight, would become the slip knot), and a loop coming out of the ring with your hook in it. Leave the loop-that-isn't-a-knot loose, make the required number of stitches into the loop-that-isn't-a-knot. The nice thing about this method is you can make a huge number of stitches into the loop and pull it very tight, and it looks neater IMHO.

I like Granny Square's idea. I do the magic loop, prefer it. But it can come loose even though I do try to "knot" it before weaving in the tail. This idea takes care of that problem.

Ok I get the slip knot! Wonder why none of the tutorials said that....I think I was trying to make it a lot more complicated than it should have been. Thanks Ya'll for all the great tips!

keep trying. im sure u will get it. you just havent found someone good enough to explain it to you. its really very very very easy. if I can do it ANYbody can!!!!!

i will try to upload a video later. i want to do that but i chew my nails and hate for anyone to see them up close! lol. stupid but true.

I generally don't use it. I'll ch 2 and work 6sc into the 1st ch (or last ch from hook - as some patterns are written). What I do is to crochet over the tail so that I can pull it as tight as I want when the round it completed.

I generally don't use it. I'll ch 2 and work 6sc into the 1st ch (or last ch from hook - as some patterns are written). What I do is to crochet over the tail so that I can pull it as tight as I want when the round it completed.

I have used the magic loop before, but it's "fiddly". Like you, doing the ch 2 and working the stitches into the first loop, creates the same effect (for me) when I pull the tail tight. Great minds think alike! :lol

Archived