Pisgah Yarn & Dyeing Plant Closing

Thank you for the notice.

I find it interesting that they don't feel they can stay competitive in today's market, and they had Walmart as a customer! Walmart didn't buy enough from them? We didn't buy enough Peaches & Creme from Walmart? What?

I like the Peaches & Creme I have used so far, but I can only crochet so much.

Sad as it was a very reasonable cotton yarn. I know the Walmart in Spokane said they switched over to Sugar and Creme last year. I guess it was a contract thing and they probably pushed and got a better deal and dropped the Pisgah yarn brand.

Walmart has a reputation for buying from the little guy... and then taking months and months to pay them. Here in Arkansas, it has brought more than one little guy to bankruptcy. When you are small, you need paid on time... you get a Walmart contract and think you've hit it big, you give them their giant order, then they don't pay and the little guy goes under. :(

My problem was that I couldn't sell much made from it other than dishcloths. It was to thick and unmercerized for clothing. I didn't make much money either when it takes 3/4 to an entire ball to make one dishcloth. Half of my customers didn't like how thick the cloths were even when knitted. Not all of the ball colors were put on cones and all my local stores sold were the boring ecru, white, and multi blues on cones.

I'm turning to coned yarns as they are thinner and cheaper in the long run. I can use two strands of 10/2 cotton and it only costs me about 65 cents a cloth. I don't know how this unmercerized yarn will hold up as anything else, but plan to experiment with it.

I live 2.5 hrs from the plant; this is very sad. 81 jobs lost in a county that already has an 11+% unemployment rate.

If you will go to the website, they have many products other than just WW. All products, except WW, are on sale 50% off. As far as I know, they were the only producer of double WW, which I love for purses.

I went to Pisgah Yarns last Tuesday. It is not just that they are closing. The Lily Company has bought them and they are moving all the machinery to Canada. Their last day of business is February 25th which is only 24 days away. If you need supplies and/or need to stock up, you need to either go to their web page and order OR call Pisgah Yarns and place your order. I bought quite a bit but intend to go back the last week their are open. This is so sad and I believe Flo that works there is one of us.:yes

I am waiting for an order I plased last week. This is not good. Their cones were 1/2 the price of SNC or any of the others. I guess when I run out, I will have to find another kind of cotton the make the totes.

I really loved the colors they had, that were not available in the others and the friendly and fast way our orders were handles.:(

Our Walmart almost totally sold out of it and I was about in tears. I went back a couple days later and it was completely restocked... now just need that money tree. :hook

I'm going to miss E-P too! I love their cones of fashion weight. I've found cones of fashion weight only one other place, and only in naturals (not dyed colours)...Fast, friendly helpful service...Peaches is so much softer than Sugar&cream, IMHO. so sad to see it happen.

from what I've read, Part of the kicker with a WMart contract is that they push so hard for lower prices, that the only way to stay is to reduce profit margins---some companies, such as levi have even gone to out-of-USA production for their wal-mart lines, just to keep from going under. They get your contract, you need them for visibility (or so it seems) then they force you to keep your price the same, or even go down, while your costs go up. and then that slow payment thing...tragic for smaller companies like E-P! (our wmart carried very limited color selection of Peaches&Creme, which didn't help E-P either, I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

This breaks my heart. I have purchased their yarn on cones for years. I think it's a much better product than Sugar & Cream. Ratz!! The poor small businessman takes another hit, and so do we, the consumers!

I just received my order from them. I will miss Peaches and creme yarn. It is definitely softer than others. I have found that the dishcloths I make with it last a long time and are not too thick. I just crochet a bit loser so they are thick and stiff.

I also have some of E-P double thickness cotton on cones and love that too!!

I can suggest using I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby as a substitute. Not sure if it will work as well for the Totes as it is a bit softer and not as "sturdy-feeling" as Peaches & Cream. I like it better for children's things because it is soft but I always wondered about long-term durability in comparison to P&C. Since the baby things don't stick around long, I am not sure. I have used the Peaches & Cream for all of my dish cloths because it does hold up so well. Sad that it will be no more!

I live 2.5 hrs from the plant; this is very sad. 81 jobs lost in a county that already has an 11+% unemployment rate.

If you will go to the website, they have many products other than just WW. All products, except WW, are on sale 50% off. As far as I know, they were the only producer of double WW, which I love for purses.

Wish they had marked the Peaches & Cream down to half price too! Does anyone have a review of the Honeysuckle yarns? It says it is a rayon chenille, available in fine, superfine, & light weights. I am not good at looking at the gauge range and figuring how it compares to say a regular worsted weight yarn. Can anyone help?

I can suggest using I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby as a substitute. Not sure if it will work as well for the Totes as it is a bit softer and not as "sturdy-feeling" as Peaches & Cream. I like it better for children's things because it is soft but I always wondered about long-term durability in comparison to P&C. Since the baby things don't stick around long, I am not sure. I have used the Peaches & Cream for all of my dish cloths because it does hold up so well. Sad that it will be no more!

I made my DD dishcloths from I Love This Yarn a year ago. She's still using them and asked for more. She uses them daily so they can last. I used it for a tote for my DIL and it did fine. I thought it would stretch but it didn't, and if you line your tote that would help if it did stretch. It's sad that this company is going out of business--it's tough economic times right now.

Wish they had marked the Peaches & Cream down to half price too! Does anyone have a review of the Honeysuckle yarns? It says it is a rayon chenille, available in fine, superfine, & light weights. I am not good at looking at the gauge range and figuring how it compares to say a regular worsted weight yarn. Can anyone help?

Can't say I've used the honeysuckle chenille. But if they still have the "regular" honeysuckle on cones, it's fashion-weight cotton. (actually there's a couple of different weights) http://elmore-pisgah.com/quickshop925.htm for example... This, I have used, and I really like it. the one I linked to, likes my E (3.5mm) hook, and is a nice weight for spring/summer garments...

Hope that helps

I used the ILTC for one tote. It was ok, but I was also worried about it being so soft. I don't think I would use it again for a tote, but I would for a dis/washcloth or baby things.

I like the PNC because of all the colors. They have a better variety of colors than the other SNC. I am hoping the SNC will pick up some of the colors and offer them.

I am now waiting for my last order and I will adapt to using the other cottons, as life goes on. I am sorry to hear about so many more jobs lost.:(

• 4 years later...

I am in the middle of a important project, from a book that my friend gave me, it's my first time ever mlcrocheting clothing, and I found a pattern I really liked. It was an old issue, and I cannot finish because everywhere I order the same yarn it always ends up being  lighter in color. Please help or if you have any information about how I could order this product please let me know here is some product information 

Honeysuckle Yarns - Article 810. Hunter (dark green) #19. Rayon Chenille -

I realize that it is discontinued but I was wondering if there was any way I could have it specially made, I am willing to pay however much it costs. Please help this project is very important to me

Please let me know, thank you.

Rachael

Welcome to the 'ville Rachael.  You've tacked your request on to a very old post on a different subject (Pisgah cotton yarn factory closing several years ago, but they are completely out of business now if I recall correctly)--you will probably have better luck with your request if you start your own thread in the 'in search of' section of the Recycling center forum group.  

On this page, scroll up to the top - click on 'Crochetville' in grey, right under the blue "about" menu.  It will take you to the main page, which you will see has several forum groupings.  Scroll down a bit for the Recycling Center area.

Good luck!  Sorry I don't know anything about the yarn you are looking for.

While I agree that she should start her own thread, I understand why she used this one.  Pisgah made the yarn she is looking for.

Rachael do start another thread about this so it isn't lost in this one.

I also think you will have more luck at Ravelry.  There are few photos of it in your color but they are not for sale.  Here is the thread for ISO (In search of).  Maybe someone will have some to sell, trade, or gift you.

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/yarn/2976545/1-25

Archived