2 sc in 2nd ch from hook - 2 sc.

mumof3angels09

Question

Hi

I just joined yesterday and have had so much fun last night looking over all the tips and patterns

As i said on my welcome note I cant read patterns

So if someone could explain to me what the following means plz

2 sc in 2nd ch from hook - 2 sc.

the part highlighted in red is what is getting me I can do the 2 single crochet but dont get why at the end of the line it has "- 2 sc" cause the next row goes

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, working in back loops only, 2 sc in first sc, sc in next sc - 3 sc.

Continue to work in back loops only, unless directed to do otherwise

It has that " - " at the end of each line

Am I making sense ......hope so

Thanks all

mumof3 :))

5 answers to this question

That is basically telling you how many stitches total that row has. So Row 1 has 2 sc in it... because you only put 2 in. When you do the next row, you are putting 2 sc in the first stitch and 2 sc in the next stitch - totalling 3 single crochets. It also kinda gives you indication that the ch 1 at the beginning of your row is *not* counting as a stitch in this pattern.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet! Now it's time for you to learn to read crochet patterns, and fortunately you can learn to do that very easily. Use your favorite search engine (mine is Google) and enter

http://www.yarnstandards.com

When you get to that page, look at the left-hand column, find "crochet patterns: how to

read" and click on that. Try it, you'll like it!

Jean Leinhauser

Archived