5-10 pt. Starburst Round Ripple CAL

LadiBug329

Anyone want to join me??

The 5-10 Pt. Starburst Round Ripple Pattern is by RoseRed, and is offered for sale in her Etsy store

I already have 1 started, and have at least 2 more I want to make for gifts, maybe even one to keep!!

Its a totally awesome pattern, and has the potential for points to be added throughout to give it a completely different look. I've already checked with RoseRed...she's willing to pop in from time to time to answer any questions any of us may have and to cheer us all along!!

:cheer:clap:cheer

So who's in??

We Have....

LadiBug329 colors: shades of green and tan

Shuttlebuggy colors: sage green, blue and lace (and maybe a varigated)

Crochetmama colors: White, yellow, Delft Blue (Med), Royal Blue, and Dark Navy

ala139 colors: woodland (green), heather & natural

RoseRed colors: Spidey colors

Kookaloo Starr colors: Shades of blue

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can definitely count me IN! :cheer

I have one I would like to do in sage green, blue and lace with possible varigated thrown in!

Had fun doing it in patriotic colors as a pattern test for RoseRed and now this will motivate me with the baby one to be completed by a friend's April due date of her precious little baby boy David! :yay

:yay

:yes I want to make one for my mom, for mother's day - she got a new sofa for Christmas and she loves afghans!!

And I definitely want to make one for me. I love stars and this is perfect!

I'll join you, LadiBug329 and ShuttleBuggy! I have my VERY FIRST GRANDBABY due this next month :D and I think this would be a perfect baby blanket. I, like ShuttleBuggy, will be doing it in little boy colors. My little grandbaby's name is Seth.

I just put in my order at Etsy and am waiting to get the pattern. Thanks for getting RoseRed's cooperation in answering questions if we need it. I looked really carefully at the pictures and I'm sure I can manage it.

I have my yarn already - White, yellow, Delft Blue (Med), Royal Blue, and Dark Navy.

I've been a member of Crochetville forever but I'm still not very good at the picture thing. If I can get Mr. Crochetmama to cooperate and help me with pictures, I will post for you all, but otherwise will have to keep you updated mainly by posts. (Or who knows, maybe a miracle will happen and I'll finally learn how to post the pictures by myself!)

So let's get going, ladies!

:cheer:hook:cheer

:yay Welcome Crochetmama, and congrats on the new grandson coming soon!!

I went through some of my yarn stash yesterday, and found the colors I want to use for my mom's mother's day ripple...its in 2 shades of green from Impeccable yarn and a dark green & a tan in ILTY. I have plenty of all 4 colors, so hopefully no yarn dilemmas midway through!!

Okay, have either of you started yet?? I'm gonna start on my mom's later today...I have an appt. at 10, so will hopefully start when I get back, and after I get some laundry going...:lol

I am planning on starting the center today since it looks like with the nasty roads I will be homebound once again!:crocheting

I have plenty of yarn and am just deciding that maybe I want a varigated center this time instead of a solid - not sure but will take pics along the way as it goes!:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn

Hey guys! Wow! this is so cool! :yes

Crochet mama - I didn't know it was your FIRST grandbaby! super big HUGE congrats to you!!!!!

We're just going to have to help you thru posting pictures cuz I LOVE the eye candy!

ladibug, mary - it's so good to see you guys here!

ok - I'm going to post a few pics so that people can see what we're CALing about.

post-10150-1358976180_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897618008_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897618005_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897618006_thumb.jpg

Here's mine so far. Minus a couple rows that I did last night. I'm done adding points, though. But I'm so excited to see the finished product. I anticipate many of these in my future.

post-36556-135897618087_thumb.jpg

ooooo yeah RoseRed...those pics of your work is definitely incentive to want to make one!!

I really like the baby one you did in the pink and lilac!! No babies around me though...and sooooo not ready for either of my kids to give me grandbabies!!

I do have a question though, and it might help others too...

The one i want to make for my mom should be at least 6 ft. from point to point since its for her couch. How much yarn would you guess-timate I would need so I can not have a yarn dilemma like with the one I've already started?

The yarn I have set aside so far for this one is 4 skeins of 4.5 oz (18 oz) and 3 skeins of 7 oz. (21 oz) so thats 39 oz. (about 2-1/2 lbs) total so far. the 4 smaller skeins are the Impeccable (2 ea. of 2 shades of green) and I can pick them up at Michaels if I need more.

Hey Ladies! I got my pattern all printed out and ready to go. Thank you RoseRed (Michele) for all your kind words. I LOVE your signature line:

The only difference between a grave & a rut is the depth.

As one who has been stuck in several self-made ruts but have avoided the ultimate rut (the grave) so far, I just love the truth in that simple statement of yours.

Just to warn you all, I have an illness called myasthenia gravis that really causes me problems with double vision, dizziness and affects my overall eyesight so I will have to work around that, which means I can only do a little bit each day. I'm sure you all will zoom right past me, but I promise I will get there.

I have Mr. Crochetmama's promise that he will cooperate to his fullest in helping me post pictures. ("Just don't call me Mr. Crochetmama to my face.") He's such a trooper!

LadiBug your Mom's day ripple sounds lovely. I saw (and drooled over and coveted I must admit) your picture you posted yesterday. Well done. RoseRed, thank you for all the pictures you have posted to help us along.

ShuttleBuggy, Your color scheme has me intrigued and I might join you by exchanging my planned yellow with Sage Green along with the Delft Blue, Royal Blue, Dark Navy, and white. I know that there is a lovely variegated yarn that combines blues, white, and yellow that I kind of would like to try but I don't have any at the house right now. I live in a small rural town (actually more like a village) that only has 2 small grocery stores and 1 drug store and 1 dollar store, but no yarn or craft stores. We have to drive 40 miles to Las Cruces, NM (our "huge" city!!) which has a Hobby Lobby and 2 WalMarts and 1 JoAnn Fabrics for places to buy yarn. But due to my illness (which unfortunately is progressive) I can't drive any more and only go "into town" when my husband or other family is driving and takes me to the yarn stores. Fortunately I have a pretty big collection of yarn here at the house.

As a final thought, I wanted to share with you all a website I found some time ago. It sounds like we all have our colors picked out, but this one is a random striple color generator. It helps you to see what your choices will look like together before you take the plunge. Perhaps on future projects you might find it useful. Here is the website:

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php

I really can't remember how I found it; probably here at Cville.

Well, I need to go rest my eyes and then start crocheting! Talk to you all later!! :c9:hook:yay:cheer:clap

Amy, Yours is BEAUTIFUL! I love how this pattern can take the most simple colors and create something so breathtaking. When did you get started?

LadiBug, what is ILTY yarn? Forgive my ignorance!

ooo Amy that looks really nice!! Welcome to the CAL!! How big are you planning on making yours??

Wow, :clap:cheer:clap Crochetmama, the stripe generator thingy is just the coolest thing I've ever seen!! Thank you so much for sharing it!! I will definitely have to book mark it for future stuff!! :c9

And don't worry about being left behind...I have so many things on hooks right now, which is why I'm starting mine for 5 months away :rofl

ILTY - I Love This Yarn

Its Hobby Lobby's brand of yarn, and its really soft. There isn't a HL near me (on the east coast) and I ordered mine online a year or so ago - a major order of it to build up my stash!!

Amy, Yours is BEAUTIFUL! I love how this pattern can take the most simple colors and create something so breathtaking. When did you get started?

LadiBug, what is ILTY yarn? Forgive my ignorance!

Thanks, Mama! I started Saturday while watching football and watched football and crocheted that day and Sunday. I've finished adding points. I don't think I'm going to add any more unless the spirit moves me. So it's just going to grow from here. It's probably 16 inches across now and I'm looking to go to 60", so this will be fun!!

I'm using Caron SS in woodland (yes, that's actually green, that light blue looking color is a mossy green), heather and I can't remember the name of the natural color one.

I do have a question though, and it might help others too...

The one i want to make for my mom should be at least 6 ft. from point to point since its for her couch. How much yarn would you guess-timate I would need so I can not have a yarn dilemma like with the one I've already started?

The yarn I have set aside so far for this one is 4 skeins of 4.5 oz (18 oz) and 3 skeins of 7 oz. (21 oz) so thats 39 oz. (about 2-1/2 lbs) total so far. the 4 smaller skeins are the Impeccable (2 ea. of 2 shades of green) and I can pick them up at Michaels if I need more.

oh wow - throwing #s at me. It's basically going to take the same as any round ripple. I'd guestimate 3-4 pounds. Most of my 4x6 ghans come out to about 3 pounds. I don't remember how much my purple round ripple took but it was around 4 (I think)

Hey Ladies! I got my pattern all printed out and ready to go. Thank you RoseRed (Michele) for all your kind words.

I LOVE your signature line:

The only difference between a grave & a rut is the depth.

As one who has been stuck in several self-made ruts but have avoided the ultimate rut (the grave) so far, I just love the truth in that simple statement of yours.

Just to warn you all, I have an illness called myasthenia gravis that really causes me problems with double vision, dizziness and affects my overall eyesight so I will have to work around that, which means I can only do a little bit each day. I'm sure you all will zoom right past me, but I promise I will get there.

I have Mr. Crochetmama's promise that he will cooperate to his fullest in helping me post pictures. ("Just don't call me Mr. Crochetmama to my face.") He's such a trooper!

RoseRed, thank you for all the pictures you have posted to help us along.

ShuttleBuggy, Your color scheme has me intrigued and I might join you by exchanging my planned yellow with Sage Green along with the Delft Blue, Royal Blue, Dark Navy, and white.

I live in a small rural town (actually more like a village) that only has 2 small grocery stores and 1 drug store and 1 dollar store, but no yarn or craft stores. We have to drive 40 miles to Las Cruces, NM (our "huge" city!!) which has a Hobby Lobby and 2 WalMarts and 1 JoAnn Fabrics for places to buy yarn.

Well, I need to go rest my eyes and then start crocheting! Talk to you all later!! :c9:hook:yay:cheer:clap

Crochetmama Sometimes it's the simple things that we need to remember. :yes

Don't worry about anybody zooming past you. You can be our 'rock' as people come and go. Does that sound good?

Sounds like where I live - 40 miles to the doc, the mall, the yarn store - civilization basically.

shuttlebuggy - can you post a pic of your patriotic starburst here so that we can have some eye candy and inspiration.

ladybug - can you tone down the first post a bit, PLEASE? I know you're excited but all the letter are so BIG.

Are you going to run the cal with the participants in the first post and the color schemes? People have a bunch of fun with those. Not saying you need to just wondering if you had thought about it.

I'm going to be making a spider-man one of these. I caught up with one of my most dearest friends from high school on facebook. We're going to get together when we make our annual vacation back home - I am soooooooo excited to see her again.

Anyways - she has 2 little ones. a girl 5 and a boy 2. his fav colors are blue, red and orange. How perfect would a spidy ghan be - with points no less! I love how the color play works into the points.

I just have to finish up what I'm working on now and I'll be jumping in with the rest of you. I had so much fun over at the flannelghan cal - this is going to be great!

ladybug - can you tone down the first post a bit, PLEASE? I know you're excited but all the letter are so BIG.

Are you going to run the cal with the participants in the first post and the color schemes? People have a bunch of fun with those. Not saying you need to just wondering if you had thought about it.

Fixed it...better?? :)

Mary, were you able to get some hook-y time in yesterday?? How's the weather up there - we are supposed to get snow tonight, so I'm wondering if you will get it tomorrow? Seems like the East Coast has been really nailed with snow this year...a bit earlier than normal for here.

I had posted on another thread and also on my blog that i was having a bit of a yarn dilemma...thought i resolved it, but now back in dilemma mode again...

The varigated yarn I'm using on the one i've already got started, I bought from a LYS over 2 years ago, and kept in my stash. When I bought it, I only bought 2 skeins, thinking i'd just make a scarf or something small with it. So...fastforward to now, I've married, and thought I would make a nice afghan for my MIL's sofa - kinda plain and big, and needs "something". So I go rummaging through my stash, and found the varigated yarn from the LYS....and it holds all the colors she has in her living room! :c9 Perfect. Didn't think about how much yarn it would take to get it to the size for a couch....:ohdear and am down to only a half skein. Barely enough to make 1 row around at this size.

So a friend in PA looked at her LYS and they are out too...Plymouth has discontinued that color. I searched the internet for an online source - found it at RoyalYarn.com but its a special order item and their shipping is a bit pricey, so i put that off. Called the LYS I bought it from, and she hooked me up with another LYS that she called and they have 1 skein. I called them up and they are mailing it to me, however, I don't think 1 additional skein is going to be enough.

I call RoyalYarn.com and yes, its a special order item, and she looks and nope...she can't get it either.

To continue on to make this 5-6 ft. round I think I would need approx. 2-3 more skeins to incorporate the variagated as I've already started it.

:think What to do now?? Any suggestions?? I really really really don't want to frog this and work the colors in a different pattern. :sigh

So, its sitting in a basket with a hook, patiently waiting for advice. :P

Meanwhile, I'm cleaning house, i so do not like housework. I'd much rather be :crocheting

Mary, were you able to get some hook-y time in yesterday?? How's the weather up there - we are supposed to get snow tonight, so I'm wondering if you will get it tomorrow? Seems like the East Coast has been really nailed with snow this year...a bit earlier than normal for here.

I had posted on another thread and also on my blog that i was having a bit of a yarn dilemma...thought i resolved it, but now back in dilemma mode again...

The varigated yarn I'm using on the one i've already got started, I bought from a LYS over 2 years ago, and kept in my stash. When I bought it, I only bought 2 skeins, thinking i'd just make a scarf or something small with it. So...fastforward to now, I've married, and thought I would make a nice afghan for my MIL's sofa - kinda plain and big, and needs "something". So I go rummaging through my stash, and found the varigated yarn from the LYS....and it holds all the colors she has in her living room! :c9 Perfect. Didn't think about how much yarn it would take to get it to the size for a couch....:ohdear and am down to only a half skein. Barely enough to make 1 row around at this size.

So a friend in PA looked at her LYS and they are out too...Plymouth has discontinued that color. I searched the internet for an online source - found it at RoyalYarn.com but its a special order item and their shipping is a bit pricey, so i put that off. Called the LYS I bought it from, and she hooked me up with another LYS that she called and they have 1 skein. I called them up and they are mailing it to me, however, I don't think 1 additional skein is going to be enough.

I call RoyalYarn.com and yes, its a special order item, and she looks and nope...she can't get it either.

To continue on to make this 5-6 ft. round I think I would need approx. 2-3 more skeins to incorporate the variagated as I've already started it.

:think What to do now?? Any suggestions?? I really really really don't want to frog this and work the colors in a different pattern. :sigh

So, its sitting in a basket with a hook, patiently waiting for advice. :P

Meanwhile, I'm cleaning house, i so do not like housework. I'd much rather be :crocheting

Change up your stripe pattern. I think the beauty of RR's is that they look right no matter what you do stripe wise. Or depending on how you're doing the stripes do a transition to the new stripe pattern. Like if you're doing 4 rows of variegated and then like two of solid, transition them. Do the next pattern set with 3 rows of variegated and 3 of solid and then the next do 4 of solid and 2 of variegated and go from there. It's going to look fantastic no matter how you do it. You're not married to the stripe pattern, just change it up as you go.

What to do now?? Any suggestions?? I really really really don't want to frog this and work the colors in a different pattern.

Have you thought of putting a "ISO" message on here? I've seen loads of people asking if we have a certain colour/brand in our stashes and sometimes someone has just what you need :clap

Also you can search peoples stashes on Ravelry and see if anyone has it for sale or trade.

:oops didn't think of the ISO thread. See....thats why i like the CAL's...

As far as changing up the stripe pattern, I really don't have one...but...1 skein plus the 1/2 skein i already have really is only enough to do maybe 3 rows with the varigated. I'll make a post in the ISO thread, and also look on Ravelry.

Yeah, Kookie, are you gonna make one too?? :yes:D:cheer

:oops didn't think of the ISO thread. See....thats why i like the CAL's...

As far as changing up the stripe pattern, I really don't have one...but...1 skein plus the 1/2 skein i already have really is only enough to do maybe 3 rows with the varigated. I'll make a post in the ISO thread, and also look on Ravelry.

Yeah, Kookie, are you gonna make one too?? :yes:D:cheer

I looked back at your picture and it might also look nice if you just stripe it out with your solids from there on out. It would add real visual interest to the middle with both the star and the variegated...

Archived