Need a hat pattern

stunatadonna

Question

I'm looking for a hat pattern for my son. He has a 25 1/4 inch head (no I didn't measure wrong - his head is that big) and the hat patterns I've found, even with stretching just don't work. This is also why we have trouble buying him hats even for winter. They're too tight on his head.

I'd like to make him one but I don't know how to adjust patterns yet (this will be my first hat) nor do I have any clue how much I would adjust it by for head size.

So, does anyone know where to get a hat pattern for my son or could someone help me adjust a pattern?

Thanks for your help,

Beth

6 answers to this question

Here's a beanie pattern I designed. To make it big enough to fit your son I would go up to a size I crochet hook and work 1 extra repeat rnd ( Rnd 7: 2 hdc in next hdc, (hdc in next 5 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc) repeat around, sl st to first hdc, ch 1. (72 sts). Then continue on in regular rows (no increasing) until it's the length needed.

http://qualitycrochet4fun.blogspot.com/2008/02/here-is-beanie-pattern-that-i-wrote-few_14.html

Any hat pattern can be made to fit your son's head you just need to do more rounds in the crown until you get the circumference that will make a hat that fits the size head you need.

Here are a few tips:

This math also works with dc and hdc.

If you want to make a single crochet hat for a certain sized head, you have to do a little bit of math. Using the following method, you can make hats using any weight yarn you wish.

First, measure the circumference of the person’s head, if possible. Most heads fall within a certain range, so unless your recipient has an especially small/large head, you don’t have to be exact.

Second, divide the circumference (or desired size) by 3.1416 to get the diameter needed. For example, If my DD’s head is 20”, I divide by 3.1416 and get 6.36”. So that means I’ll make the diameter of the hat around 6.5 inches.

To find the diameter, you measure from one edge of the circle to the other edge. When you reach the desired size, then you start your rounds until the hat is the desired length.

(Some people also like to alternate inc with rounds of sc. I believe this formula will still work since you just need to reach a certain diameter.)

If you need a “formula” for the length, you count the number of rounds with increases, then add the same number of rounds without (straight sc). So if you worked 7 rounds of increases, you work 7 rounds of sc. The hat should end just about the top of the ears. For a longer hat, work more rounds.

You can crochet a flat hat- as far as that I mean just like a square- chain as many as needed to make that length, note----the beginning chain side is always tighter so you would want to end up with it at the top, just crochet a square, in whatever stitch you choose, then flip it over so the beg ch row is at top, whip stitch together to form a tube, weave back and forth every few stitches through the top round and leave tail on both ends to gather and then tie it in a knot and finish off- will give a little texture and design to the top as well as look good! I'm not a pattern designer, if you have any questions feel free to ask me if I might not have explained well enough. Kiyo

You can crochet a flat hat- as far as that I mean just like a square- chain as many as needed to make that length, note----the beginning chain side is always tighter so you would want to end up with it at the top, just crochet a square, in whatever stitch you choose, then flip it over so the beg ch row is at top, whip stitch together to form a tube, weave back and forth every few stitches through the top round and leave tail on both ends to gather and then tie it in a knot and finish off- will give a little texture and design to the top as well as look good! I'm not a pattern designer, if you have any questions feel free to ask me if I might not have explained well enough. Kiyo

you know, i have always wanted to do one like this! Usually i either crochet in the round, or do it on the loom, this is a great idea, thank you! as for more hat patterns, google crocheted hat patterns and wow, you will be looking through a lot of um!

Thank so much! I'm a beginner so after I read what was written here, I had a DUH! moment! LoL

I was trying to do one similar to what Kiyo mentioned (the flat hat) and didn't even think to increase the chain. :oops

Julee - I'm going to give your pattern a shot. I've never done anything in the round like that, so wish me luck! :hook

My favorite hat is done in single crochet and is worked vertically as follows:

With worsted weight yarn and an I hook, chain 40.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; ch 1, turn each row: 39 sc.

row 2: Sc in back loop only of each sc across.

Repeat Row 2 for desired diameter. fold piece in half and sl st through back loops of last row and remaining foundation chain. This can be done in two or more colors. Weave a length of yarn through one end and pull tight to secure. I have made these for all sizes and it is very easy to adjust sizes. for an average adult head I work for 56 to 64 rows.

I hope this helps!

Archived