how to make a stitch Dc2tog in "next Dc2tog"?

Yuricita

Question

Hello!

I would like to make a ruffle edge to put on my diaper cover. The cover has 18 sts.

1)

To make a ruffle, I'm following the book below, and it said make a Dc2tog(http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=131).

So I made a ch(18) to make a ruffle on this.

but after made a Dc2tog, it said "attach yarn to right-hand edge of project".

I don't understand the meaning of this, do I need to attached on diaper cover? Not continue to make a edge on this ch(18)?

2) After 1), I can continue to the Row 1 to Row 5.

"Row 1"

Ch4 (counts as 1 dc, ch 1) *dc2tog over next 2 sts or chs, ch 1 : rep from * end 1 dc in last st or ch. Turn.

So first of all, I can't understand if I need to just make ch 4 to get started Row 1 or I can continue from 1)'s 18 ch to make Row 1.(continued from Dc2tog on 18ch.) ??

"Row 2"

Ch3 (counts as 1 hdc, ch 1), Dc2tog in first ch-1sp, ch1, *dc2tog in next dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog in next ch-1 sp...(to be continued)

I can't understand the "*Dc2tog in next Dc2tog".

I know how to make Dc2Tog but I don't know how to make a stitch Dc2tog "in next Dc2tog" as this book mentioned.

I can not imagine how to make ruffle with this pattern, so make me hard to continued.

If you have the same book with me or experienced to make this kind of edge, please advice.

Thanks in advance!

Reference from(copyrighted by)

Nicky Epstein Crocheting on the edge

page 60 "frou frou ruffle"

12 answers to this question

I don't have the book so i can't answer everything, but i may be able to help with a couple of your questions.

On row 1, you do need to make the chain 4 at the beginning, this is your turning chain and it counts as a dc and 1 chain.

I think for the dc2tog in dc2tog, you just need to insert the hook into the top of the dc2tog in the previous row. usually dc2tog is done over 2 stitches, but apparently here it is done in only one stitch.

I hope this makes sense, if not, please ask again!

>Kathy

Thank you so much for your explanation for my question, it was so easy to understand.

Just I can make each stitch but difficult to understand that contents of the book.

I will reminder your advice then try again.

Thanks again for the big help!!!

The problem is when it's a 2dctog in a single stitch it should be called a cluster. (as in work cluster in 2dctog) It's the same mechanical movement of the yarn and hook but worked into a single stitch instead of across 2 stitches.

Can you find a different ripple pattern? There's so many out there that you don't need to drive yourself crazy with one that written kinda weird.

>Kathy

Thanks again! I love this book because tons of beautiful edge patterns and photographs, just for me lack of the explanation or just me I'm not good at to follow them.

I need to study more basis( I need a book for basis ) but I would love to try to make them.

If you can find it, please let me know . :)

>RoseRed

Again, thanks for the comment. ;)

Hmm, when I've got a trouble with crochet, I'm always looking for an internet some information first, and even I could not find the info I come here,,,I will check the library or book store to find another pattern of this same kinds edge also.

Though the photographs of this edge on the book is so gorgeous and I'm fall in love with,

I hope I can make it.

I will try read again and again.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!:)

I can't understand the "*Dc2tog in next Dc2tog".

I know how to make Dc2Tog but I don't know how to make a stitch Dc2tog "in next Dc2tog" as this book mentioned.

---------------------------------------------

You're doing a cluster. Instead of working across the 2 sts you work the stitch in the top of just one stitch. Try it that way.

>RoseRed

Thanks again the comment!

Now I just started from Row1(I made a 16ch.), and I just did as you said making a cluster then it works!:)

(I thought Dc2Tog supporsed to use 2st to make but I made just in 1st, and it worked.)

"Row 2"

Ch3 (counts as 1 hdc, ch 1), dc2tog in first ch-1 sp, ch1, *dc2tog in next dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog in next ch-1 sp, ch1, 1hdc in next dc2tog, ch1, dc2tog in next ch-1 sp, ch1; rep from*, dc2tog in next dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog in last ch-1 sp, ch1, "1hdc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4", turn.

Just...I almost could make this row2, but 1 dc2tog remaining on the row1.

The end of the Row2 it said

"1hdc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4"

I don't understand this meaning but what do you think about this part??:(

"1hdc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4"

I don't understand this meaning but what do you think about this part??:(

When you started row 1 you made a chain 4. now at the end of row 2 you are to make one hdc in the third chain of that chain-4.

do you know hdc? http://www.nexstitch.com/v_half_double_crochet.html

>Kathy

Thank you for your prompt reply! Sorry lack of the information because of my previous thread.

Yes, I know hdc, but I was not sure when I can connect with for the end of Row2.

Looks a little bit wired but I think it worked! Look like a shape of the wedge.

I think I will continue until Row5, if it will be become like the photograph.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Xxxyuricita

Do you have a digital camera? It would be really helpful to 'see' where you are at.

If you have an extra 2dctog at the end you could either redo the row or just add an extra 2dctog in it and then do the hdc to complete the row. Just remember that you have that extra st there.

Archived