How to hang crocheted afghans/tapestries?

I was wondering if anyone has used crocheted afghans as decorative hanging pieces instead of blankets and, if so, how do you hang them? I've started making graph afghans, and while they can certainly be used as blankets to snuggle in, I'd like to make some more decorative ones that would be nice as wall hangings. Can you use a quilt rack? What do you use to attach the afghan to it?

I haven't tried it, but I have a quilt hanger that has two long pieces of wood, and then the top piece screws to the bottom piece, pressing the quilt (or whatever you're hanging) tightly. That allows it to hang without making any holes or damaging the article. I think that would be a good way to hang an afghan, because I wouldn't want to cause stress to any one little area - hanging on a hook, for example would cause the weight of the afghan to pull heavily on that one spot. If you pressed one end and hung it so that the whole end took the weight, it wouldn't be nearly as damaging.

Good luck!

I have a nearly completed quilt-type afghan that my DH thinks should be displayed instead of used, and I've mulled over the same question. But even with a quilt hanger, I'm afraid that such a large item would sag over time, since it's not nearly as closely woven as quilt fabric. However, maybe that wouldn't happen for a number of years, and I'm into changing things out every so often.

I have a nearly completed quilt-type afghan that my DH thinks should be displayed instead of used, and I've mulled over the same question. But even with a quilt hanger, I'm afraid that such a large item would sag over time, since it's not nearly as closely woven as quilt fabric. However, maybe that wouldn't happen for a number of years, and I'm into changing things out every so often.

The sagging is my concern, too. Is there a way to back afghans with another kind of fabric that would then strengthen the entire work? I've heard of people backing crocheted afghans with polar fleece...I wonder if that would help...?

The sagging is my concern, too. Is there a way to back afghans with another kind of fabric that would then strengthen the entire work? I've heard of people backing crocheted afghans with polar fleece...I wonder if that would help...?

I think that would work if you "quilted" the afghan to the fleece. In other words, you would need to attach it to the fleece in the middle of the afghan, in addition to just going along the border, otherwise the middle of the afghan is still going to sag eventually.

I think that would work if you "quilted" the afghan to the fleece. In other words, you would need to attach it to the fleece in the middle of the afghan, in addition to just going along the border, otherwise the middle of the afghan is still going to sag eventually.

I think you're right. I believe you could hang a small crocheted piece by sewing motifs to the kind of plastic mesh used for counted cross stitch or rugs. But I'd hesitate to hang anything very large. Maybe the old back-of-the-sofa thing is the only way to show off afghans.

Yes, I was thinking about something like this last night. Maybe if I did a satin st or something like that along several spots in various rows throughout the afghan it might help? Otherwise I suppose the only other option for real preservation with hanging would be to tightly frame it behind glass...but that would be expensive!!!!!

• 8 years later...

I am trying to figure out a way to display a crocheted blanket I am working on for an exhibit.  I wondered about inserting dowel rods on all 4 sides and hanging like a frame...? Perhaps even adding some loops to the back mid-way down and adding a dowel rod on the back for added support for the weight... Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by Stcy333
New post instead of comment