Afghans

I make about 4 to 5 full sized afghans a year, and give away maybe 3 of them. I was curious as to how many of your ghans you keep and where do you store them when not in use?

Over the years I have built up alot and although I donate my older ones to Good Will or Salvation Army I still find that my ghans are starting to overflow, and I'm wondering if my afghan habit is out of control....;)

I have never really kept track of how many I have made but I have only kept 1 that I have made my DH wanted a un scratchy afghan so I made him one in chenille yarn it gets put away in the spare closet when not in use the rest go to project linus or gifts to people I know or baby showers and such

Most of the ones I've made are lapghan size, and have been gifts or donations. I have 2 I'm in the process of making for us, but one I work on only at work (in the 15-20 min before shift starts) or at appointments while waiting for doctors to finally see me. The other one is set aside for now until I finish the one I'm working on for my stepdad...or until I run out of yarn again on his and dont want to buy more until after scores are posted...

I don't keep any of my afghans! I always think I should make one for my house, but I never do. I do have a couple that were made for me and I store them in the window seat bench, with some other seasonal throws.

Before I had the window seat, I used an old trunk, which doubled as an end table.

I've been trying to keep track of all my completed projects since I started crocheting in 1997. Here are my afghan stats:

18 adult afghans - 5 were gifts, 4 donated to charity (the rest I've kept and I'm considering selling a couple/donating more)

8 baby afghans - 5 were gifts, 3 donated

2 pet afghans

I have kept 2..I use the one all the time (I sleep in the recliner) and the other...um... I need to find someone/someplace for it. It was my first afghan last January after not crocheting for 35+ years so in that regard it's kinda special, so I really would love to give it to someone I know. They haven't shown up yet, but they will. Everything else has been baby blankets and given away

lets see, i have 2 on couch at moment, 1 granny daughter 1 to my mom (she lives w/ me), gave 1 cousin an afghan for xmas last yr, gave b/f 1 for bday 2 yrs ago, donated a few to nursing homes (made them for that purpose.... lapghans), sold a few babyghans (was asked to make them), sold some shawls over yrs when asked to make them, dishcloths--use some, gift some, maybe aroudn 50-50 ... ish

Good question, as we're running out of room! :lol

We have several that I've made for the house, including a Christmas one I bring out every year. They are actually great for the livingroom furniture, as our kitty Franklin doesn't scratch anything with an afghan on it.

I've also given away several of them. What I usually do is just make whatever pattern tickles my fancy, even if I know full well it will never go with our home decor. Usually, someone comes along who's either getting married, moving to a new home, or has a birthday coming up - so they get an afghan as a present! :c9

I made one for myself.

I have s Homespun afghan that will be a christmas present for someone. I've also made quite a few baby blankets for family members. I don't really ever end up keeping anything I make. Ill be surprised if the ripple I made ends up staying here.

I definitely have this problem, too! My favorite thing to crochet is afghans, so I have quite a few around here at the moment...I've started gifting them, and now I'm making them specifically to give to people as birthday and Christmas presents. (Though, I suppose I can't keep giving afghans to the same people every year! :lol)

About 12 years ago, when I got back to crocheting after a long hiatus, I started making afghans for members of our small family, and for several rooms in our home. With that surfeit of afghans, I joined a local Project Linus group (in Fla. at that time) and started to whip out one about every two or three weeks for the PL kids. I've slowed down some since, but still donate most afghans to PL. People sometimes ask to buy one or have one custom made, but I refuse, since I'd rather donate them than to get paid so little per hour. I make them mostly for the pleasure of seeing actual fabric emerge from a single little hook. And when making blankets for kids, I can play around with motifs and patterns, while making smaller sizes so that I don't get bored with the sameness.

As to storing, I have zero extra storage space, so my afghans get draped over stair railings until they're given away. I can't leave them around for the cat to lie on -- though I'm sure PL launders them before kids get them.

As for full sized afghans, I've only completed 2.. ever. I have two in the works now- one that I've been working on for probably 2 years- and one I started recently. I have also made a couple of baby afghans.

One afghan is mine.. it's sitting on my bed. The other completed one was sent to my cousin in California as a wedding gift. One half completed one is for my Sister and BIL and the other is mine. Baby afghans will be sent to the hospital where my family members were born at for their NIC unit.

Hi again, just wanted to ask, as a crocheter, I have never received anything hand crocheted as a gift, cept till I joined the ville, and won a giveaway, but other than that, it was the only gift anyone ever made for me hand crocheting, that's why it was special! how many of you have received hand crocheted items as gifts??

Well, I'm certainly in good company!

Yes you are, Crochetville is full of givers and sharers. :hug

Hi again, just wanted to ask, as a crocheter, I have never received anything hand crocheted as a gift, cept till I joined the ville, and won a giveaway, but other than that, it was the only gift anyone ever made for me hand crocheting, that's why it was special! how many of you have received hand crocheted items as gifts??

You are still kind of new here, I couldn't begin to list or count all the lovely creations I have received through Swaps, RAOKs and lovely people I have become friendly with. Even an afghan from yarn I just could not handle or work with, so someone special made a throw and sent it to me.

I often told my children you get what you give, and it seems to be true for crocheting as well as attitude. :manyheart

Archived