Graph afghan: Bucky Badger

afghan_fan

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum and I wanted to post my current project. It's my very first graph afghan, and it's for my brother, who attended the University of Wisconsin.

One question about color changes: I've seen some graph afghans with very even/squared edges of color blocks. Mine shows a bit of the top of the stitch where the color changes. Is there a trick to avoid the color hanging over the prior stitch (where the change occurs)? Or do people simply stitch over those change spots after the fact? (Does this even make sense? :P)

Anyway, here's my afghan so far. I'm working on a red and white border right now. :hook

post-45736-135897615245_thumb.jpg

I've never done a graphgan, but I think your question applies to color changes in general, unless I misunderstand. What I usually do when I change colors is to do the last stitch of color 1 until all but the very last stroke and then finish with color 2. ie If you are doing double crochet, YO and draw up a loop, YO and pull through two loops, then drop color 1, pick up color 2, and finish the DC by YO and pull through the remaining two loops.

Now, maybe that's what you're already doing and the color is still showing, I don't know!

But I hope that helps.

At any rate, your afghan looks great! Wow!

Thanks, everyone! :hook

I've never done a graphgan, but I think your question applies to color changes in general, unless I misunderstand. What I usually do when I change colors is to do the last stitch of color 1 until all but the very last stroke and then finish with color 2. ie If you are doing double crochet, YO and draw up a loop, YO and pull through two loops, then drop color 1, pick up color 2, and finish the DC by YO and pull through the remaining two loops.

This is what I've been doing, but I think I might just be getting too picky. When I pull the new color through the remaining loops of the old color, that new color loop is what ends up showing as a tiny line to the upper right of the new row of color. This must just be what normally happens, then. :)

Also ya know that badger song video that went around on YouTube several years ago? Is this THAT badger?

Well, I know there have been a lot of songs about Bucky over the years, but the most recent one on youtube is from a few months ago, called "Teach Me How to Bucky". Our chancellor even got involved with that one! It's pretty funny. :lol

Beautiful work!

There's a couple things that you can do to smooth out the color changes. 1 - you can do a satin st to smooth out the edges (what I do) or 2 - you can learn to crochet left handed to the return row.

Carol Ventura's blog has some wonderful advice for working tapestry crochet.

Great work!! Is this done is single crochet or did you do the tunisian stitch? I make my graph ghans in tunisian. I have had trouble with color changes when I do single/double crochet, but when I do tunisian there's no noticeable color change. But I think you're afghan looks amazing, I enlarged it and didn't see anything wrong with the color changes!

Beautiful work!

There's a couple things that you can do to smooth out the color changes. 1 - you can do a satin st to smooth out the edges (what I do) or 2 - you can learn to crochet left handed to the return row.

Carol Ventura's blog has some wonderful advice for working tapestry crochet.

Thanks for this tip! So, you just basically do the satin stitch vertically over the single crochet where the color change occurs? (I bet that takes a long time for bigger graph projects!!)

Great work!! Is this done is single crochet or did you do the tunisian stitch? I make my graph ghans in tunisian. I have had trouble with color changes when I do single/double crochet, but when I do tunisian there's no noticeable color change. But I think you're afghan looks amazing, I enlarged it and didn't see anything wrong with the color changes!

Thank you! This is all single crochet. I actually only just heard about tunisian last month...it looks super complicated! I would love to try it, but since my afghans are usually quite large, would it still work? (Do you have to hold all the stitches in one row on the needle at the same time? Mine are generally between 200-300 stitches wide.)

Thanks for this tip! So, you just basically do the satin stitch vertically over the single crochet where the color change occurs? (I bet that takes a long time for bigger graph projects!!)

My hands won't let me do large graph projects (or any large sc projects for that matter) but I satin st the entire thing. I just think it looks finished.

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum and I wanted to post my current project. It's my very first graph afghan, and it's for my brother, who attended the University of Wisconsin.

One question about color changes: I've seen some graph afghans with very even/squared edges of color blocks. Mine shows a bit of the top of the stitch where the color changes. Is there a trick to avoid the color hanging over the prior stitch (where the change occurs)? Or do people simply stitch over those change spots after the fact? (Does this even make sense? :P)

Anyway, here's my afghan so far. I'm working on a red and white border right now. :hook

Love the afghan...love Bucky Badger especially the handstands at the Badger games...even on the ice.

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments! And it's great to see some other Badger fans here!!! :D I just finished the blanket late last night--decided to do a thin white border instead of multiple stripes, and I'm really happy with how it turned out! Now I'm working on one for my other brother--it's going to be a Barcelona soccer team logo.

Archived