Just noticed F and G Clover hooks same size

I started a new project today and it calls for a G hook. Got my hooks out and was looking for my Clover Soft Touch "G" hook and realized that both the F and G hooks say 4.00 mm on them. Laid them side by side and they look to be the exact same size as well. I thought the Clover F hook was supposed to be 3.75 mm? :think

Anyone else notice this about these two hooks? Or is it just the ones that I have?

Beth

Looks like you might have just gotten a bad batch. Mine are visibly different sizes as well as what is stamped on them. My F is 4.0 mm and G 4.5 mm. Maybe if you contact the company they will exchange the hook/s for you so that you get the right sizes. Good luck! :hook

Nothing is wrong. The Older/original Clover Soft-Touch hooks were labeled with the F being a 4 and the G was a 4.5 mm. But for the past year or so, the F is 3.75, G is 4, and there is now a 7-that is a 4.5. I have the "old" G and the new G, plus the new "7" so I have to be very careful when grabbing a hook!

Mine are diffrent sizes...

C - 2.5

D - 3.0

E - 3.5

F - 4.0

G - 4.5

H - 5.0

I - 5.5

J - 6.0

My G boye hook is a 4.25. I guess I never paid attention to that before!

DITTO!! I've had these hooks for quite some time. In fact, I must use the "F" hook quite a bit, because the writing on the hook is slowly fading away!!:lol

I started a new project today and it calls for a G hook. Got my hooks out and was looking for my Clover Soft Touch "G" hook and realized that both the F and G hooks say 4.00 mm on them. Laid them side by side and they look to be the exact same size as well. I thought the Clover F hook was supposed to be 3.75 mm? :think

Beth

Hi Beth,

With a wide grin, if you could see the .25mm difference easily, I would be very impressed. Anything under .5mm I get out the calipers.

That said, while I cannot/will not speak for Clover, I do know that these sorts of things happen and would like to offer assistance in "making it right"

While labeling mistakes do happen from time to time and changes (i.e., the change a number of years ago for size D from 3.00mm to 3.25mm ) can be confusing - it would be my pleasure to help you with this problem.

Please feel free to contact me directly at

wheat@craftwolf.com

Wheat

It doesn't just happen with Clover. I find many such instances with other hooks also.

As previously mentioned, there is an effort to standardize the sizes, but when you have alot of hooks, some old and some new, there is bound to be similar instances.

When helping newbies I try to stress that they rely on the MM size and not just the number or alpha to identify which hook to use. I have hooks without any number or letter and only MM sizes on them (for example Rose hooks) that came from other than USA sources, it helped me to learn to look closely to the MM, and I do the same when reading patterns.

Archived