Best Yarn Shops in NYC?

Alaina

Hi Everyone,

I will be in NYC on 1/15/11 and wanted to schedule visits to some local yarn shops.

Do you have a favorite, must-see store in NYC when it comes to yarn and other things crafty?

Please let me know.

I'm already disappointed that the Lion Brand Studio is closed on Saturdays! What store closes on SATURDAYS? *scratching my head*

I appreciate all your suggestions!

Alaina

My 2 favorite stores are: Seaport Yarn (near ground zero) is at 181 Broadway/5th Floor and they are closed on Sunday and the other one is Knitty City at W79th street and Broadway (closed on tuesday). Both stores have a great selection and reasonable prices.

Have fun while your in NYC!

What about the Lion Brand Yarn Studio

34 W. 15th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: 212-243-9070

Monday 11:30 - 7

Tuesday 11:30 - 7

Wednesday 11:30 - 7

Thursday 11:30 - 8

Friday 10:00 - 3

Saturday CLOSED

Sunday 12:00 - 5

Here is a site i would LOVE to visit

head.gif

92-06 Jamaica Ave

Woodhaven, NY 11421 Our Store Hoursstorehours.jpgCLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR EXPANDED HOURS FOR OUR YARN RIOT SALES

Store: (718) 849-9873

Mail Order: (718) 847-2185

About Smiley's Yarns

Smiley's is a giant yarn outlet featuring name brand yarns at deep discount prices. More than 100,000 balls of yarn are on sale at the lowest prices in America. Since 1935, we have been the ultimate yarn source for people who take their knitting and crocheting seriously.

emailkey.gif

I just checked out School Products Yarn. It's very cool, and VERY New York. By which I mean it's impossible to find, has a crazy-weird selection of high-end product at insane cheap prices, and is staffed by grouchy eastern europeans. Definitely NOT cozy LYS atmosphere, but hey - do you want hugs or do you want yarn? :D

They have good stuff in their $5 clearance baskets, cones at crazy prices, and the most stunning hand-dye cashmere ($25/ 50g skein). They are connected with Karabella yarns and carry the full line or close to it.

It's right near the 28 st. stop on the R

Reviews and location

For extra bonus points, it's pretty much in the "knock-off-handbag district," so pick yourself up a Gucci (-esque) carrybag for $5. And there's a couple bead stores on the corner too.

Smiley's is seriously at the ***-end of nowhere.

Are you interested in Fabric? Notions? There's entire districts for that sort of thing.

What about the Lion Brand Yarn Studio

34 W. 15th Street

New York, NY 10011

Phone: 212-243-9070

Monday 11:30 - 7

Tuesday 11:30 - 7

Wednesday 11:30 - 7

Thursday 11:30 - 8

Friday 10:00 - 3

Saturday CLOSED

Sunday 12:00 - 5

I was very interested in visiting this particular store, BUT they are closed on Saturday, which is the day I will be up there! :think

I just checked out School Products Yarn. It's very cool, and VERY New York. By which I mean it's impossible to find, has a crazy-weird selection of high-end product at insane cheap prices, and is staffed by grouchy eastern europeans. Definitely NOT cozy LYS atmosphere, but hey - do you want hugs or do you want yarn? :D

They have good stuff in their $5 clearance baskets, cones at crazy prices, and the most stunning hand-dye cashmere ($25/ 50g skein). They are connected with Karabella yarns and carry the full line or close to it.

It's right near the 28 st. stop on the R

Reviews and location

For extra bonus points, it's pretty much in the "knock-off-handbag district," so pick yourself up a Gucci (-esque) carrybag for $5. And there's a couple bead stores on the corner too.

Smiley's is seriously at the ***-end of nowhere.

Are you interested in Fabric? Notions? There's entire districts for that sort of thing.

Hilarious @ the grouchy Europeans! LOL!!!

We will be in the garment/fabric district, the women I'm traveling with are superior seamstresses, so...I will definitely look this one up and see if it fits into our schedule.

Thanks!

My 2 favorite stores are: Seaport Yarn (near ground zero) is at 181 Broadway/5th Floor and they are closed on Sunday and the other one is Knitty City at W79th street and Broadway (closed on tuesday). Both stores have a great selection and reasonable prices.

Have fun while your in NYC!

Thanks Shari! I will look into those 2 places!

Here is a site i would LOVE to visit

head.gif

92-06 Jamaica Ave

Woodhaven, NY 11421 Our Store Hoursstorehours.jpgCLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR EXPANDED HOURS FOR OUR YARN RIOT SALES

Store: (718) 849-9873

Mail Order: (718) 847-2185

About Smiley's Yarns

Smiley's is a giant yarn outlet featuring name brand yarns at deep discount prices. More than 100,000 balls of yarn are on sale at the lowest prices in America. Since 1935, we have been the ultimate yarn source for people who take their knitting and crocheting seriously.

emailkey.gif

Sounds fantastic, but how far is Smiley's from the garment district, I wonder?

Sounds fantastic, but how far is Smiley's from the garment district, I wonder?

Smiley's is in Queens. You have two choices

1. take a train for a long time then a bus for a long time

2. Take a train right there, through the worst neighborhood in NYC. (it isn't *in* that neighborhood, but you have to pass through it to get there).

The fabric shops are around 34th st - 40th st. on and around 8th Avenue. Don't forget to haggle. :) School Products Yarn, by comparison, is on Broadway btw 28th & 29th. That's walkable, but it's a fair walk by non-New Yorker standards.

City Quilter (25th btw 6th & 7th ave) is a nice store for quilting fabric, and the staff is really nice. They have a good selection of general tools and books (not just quilting books)

http://www.cityquilter.com/

Saturday in Union Square is the Farmer's Market -- there are a couple of sellers selling hand-dyed, hand-spun, hand-raised wool -- but it don't come cheap. :D Get some pretzels & cider for the road while you're there :)

Purl Soho is very well regarded, but I've never been.

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/about

• 1 month later...

Lion Brand Studio 6th ave 15th street

-its beautiful inside, the staff is friendly, they have a sample yarn area when you first walk in. You can not only shop but spend the day there learning from other folks and getting help with patterns etc

On Long island

AC Moore- Bethpage

big yarn section with cozy seats, with a back wall of books and other materials to read & buy..

Infinite Yarns- Farmingdale

its across the street from Library Cafe,

Theres a vast selection of yarn from just all every country in the world.

youll find a couple of hidden gems.

Joanns- West Babylon

not a big selection of yarn but i have found a couple of things you cant find locally, such as Crochet Dude crochet hook sets, Discontinued yarn from Patons and other brands. fairly decent selection of Clover bamboo hooks

Yarn Garden in Plainview

pretty store inside, there's alot of imported Hooks from china and beyond.,

The yarn selection is from out of state and country, they do run their own specials which is posted in front of the store..

*They hold parties & other small gatherings

Garden City stitches Garden city

pretty inside. and be careful walking around, there's endless yarn all over the place, i mean stashes on the floor in bins etc

Michaels Westbury/levittown/Massapeaqua

only when they have clearance specials on hooks & yarn, as well as everyday specials. however their stock on boyle hooks isnt sufficent at times

When venturing to local stores most of the folks whom work there sometimes offer bargain bins or offer free tips. even if the yarn isn't purchased with them. Keep in mind when you wanna use credit you might have to spend minimal of ten or fifteen bucks..

Archived