Tunisian Crochet

clairymary

Hello im new here and to tunisian crochet. Sharon/villager could you please post a link to those photos on Flicker from the book 101 easy stitches for tunisian crochet here in this forum? I searched there but could not find them. That book is out of print and can only be found ,what i could find, on amazon.com for around $75 to$ 150.00. I would love to be able to see some of it.

Thank you

Arlie

California

It would probably be in violation of copy right to post parts of the book online. Keep checking ebay for it, you can put it in your ebay favorites then when one comes up for auction you will can an email. I get a lot of out of print old crochet books that way. Mary

• 3 months later...

Some other useful sites for Tunisian crochet are:

http://www.chezcrochet.com

http://www.crochetcabana.com

http://www.stitchdiva.com

I personally own several currently available books with stitch instructions and patterns in Tunisian crochet, so I *know* they're out there! An Internet search on any of the authors' names + "Tunisian crochet" will bring the books to your attention.

Here are the authors: Sharon Hernes Silverman, Kim Guzman, Sheryl Thies.

DCM

I went to this website but it just seems to be a domain, is that the right site? Mary

i also went to both web sites and saw what you were talking about. the other thing i can say is go on YouTube.com and type in crochenit . i checked to see if the video were there and they are . the name of the person is Mary Middleton that does the video. i hope that will help.

I went to this website but it just seems to be a domain, is that the right site? Mary

i also went to both web sites and saw what you were talking about. the other thing i can say is go on YouTube.com and type in crochenit . i checked to see if the video were there and they are . the name of the person is Mary Middleton that does the video. i hope that will help.:):):):crocheting:crocheting

• 6 months later...

Hi! Here in Denmark, Europe, we are some woman who are interested in Tunesian crochetting. I'm also a member of a Danish hobby- and needlework site called "Rokken" (= The Spinning Wheel). One of my friends in there is a very clever Tunesian crochetter.

February the 4th we're going to meet with her and she will show us what she can. I know some but I guess I can learn more new stitches/methodes.

I'm also a member in a Norwegian site and there are a lot of women who make Tunesian crochetting.

• 9 months later...

I'd forgotten all about this thread until I got an email just now. Knit Picks sells Tunisian hooks and cables to make them long, longer, longest. http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Harmony_Interchangeable_Crochet_Hooks__DHarmonyInterCrochtHk.html WEBS does too. http://www.yarn.com/webs-crochet-hooks-type-specialty-hooks/ http://www.yarn.com/webs-crochet-hooks-knitters-pride/knitters-pride-dreamz-interchangeable-tunisian-crochet-hooks/ Just in case anyone is still trying to find them.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I want to teach myself tunisian crochet but I have no idea where to start! Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction, I dont mind buying a really good book if anyone could suggest one. Plus I would like suggestions on the best hooks too. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'd say I'm a novice tunisian.  I went to the CGOA conference in 2003 or 2004 and Boye gave a free size J connected with a rubber tubing.  I decided to finally try tunisian using this hook. All tunisian simple stitch.  To make a baby blanket.  It was beautiful.  But my wrists were pretty sore.  I felt as though I was fighting the hook each and every stitch.  Not only was I twisting the hook for the yarn over, but I had to twist the plastic cable. 

Fast forward to this year and I fell in love with a pattern called Betty's Tunisian Tee.  I decided to practice the 3 main stitches on another baby blanket.  Again my wrists were very unhappy.  I switched to an old-fashioned Hero tunisian hook and it was then comfortable. 

I did ask on other forums and it turns out that most folks hated that cable that doesn't swivel.  Some of them had very expensive interchangeable cable sets.  I still didn't want to invest that much.  But then Annie's Attic was having a closeout sale on swivel hooks.  It's still a plastic cable, but the metal hook part swivels.  I tried the size I was using and the plastic cable fell off.  I guess that's why they were on closeout.

Long winded I guess, but the short of it is that I am happy using 10 and 14 inch for my needs.  The second baby blanket I did was done using a 14 inch afghan hook and it had 130 stitches across.  Plenty of room to squeeze some more. 

there r now many sites for tunisian crochet.

there r several on utube- just type in tunisioncrochet.

annie's attic has a class taught by Kim Guzman.

since there is a resurgence of tunisian crochet there r also many sites to purchase tunisian hooks

Caveat - Yes, I do sell these here are the reasons:

I like my instructions in print.  Sorry but the most comfortable seat in the house is not the one in front of the computer.  Nor is it where I work on projects. 

I am also one of those people who likes to have a few basic "shapes" (patterns) and then use yarn and stitch combinations to make each unique.

Last but not least, I like my instructions to be accurate and using accepted conventions the vast majority of the time instead of making up words or worse "facts"   So that means I personally go with those authors who do their homework.

If I were starting out today, there are two books (soon to be three) that I would consider essential. 

Kim Guzman's (teaches here int the ville)  Tunisian Crochet - Ultimate Beginners Guide

and ARNie Grabowski's   Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet

Kim has a soon to be released book of Stitch Motifs.  Her cable instruction is also an excellent addition and if you plan to do garments, then I would add the Short Row book to the list.

Darla Fanton is essential spirit behind the double ended technqiues and largely responsible for keeping that technique available both thru her independent patterns and various leaflets published over the years.  You might recognize the "name" Crochet-n-Knit - one Darla created back in the day when you sold all your rights to the publishers.  In fact I need to go find my copy of Darla's slipper pattern because the last pair has worn out and my toes are cold.

For Patterns there are others who do a good job, but no library was built in a day so to speak.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived