New Thread Tagging Feature

Amy

Crochetville is happy to announce a new forum feature: the ability to add tags to threads! In order for this feature to be successful, we need you! :yes Below is an introduction to tags, and many of you may already be familiar with tags. Please help us by adding useful tags to threads. Thank you so much! :ghug

What is a tag?

A tag is like a category label or keyword you can add to a thread. Tags can help you find patterns, discussion threads, and other information on Crochetville. All thread tags can be seen by everyone, registered members and forum guests alike.

How do I add a tag to a thread?

Everyone who has reached Villager status (been a registered member longer than 30 days and made at least 30 posts to the forum) is able to add tags to threads. (This limitation prevents spammers from using our tag feature. We've never yet had a spammer who bothered to reach Villager status.)

In general, tags must be at least 4 characters. We can manually add 3-character tags to the list of allowed tags upon request. If you have a 3-character tag you would like to suggest, please use the Contact Us form.

1. Open the thread you want to tag.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom until you see the "Tags" box.
  3. Click the "Edit Tags" link on the right-hand side.
  4. Add whatever tags you think fit best, using a comma to separate your tags.
  5. Click the "Save Changes" button. (Tags appear immediately in threads, but it may take up to 30 minutes for new tags to appear in the tag cloud.)

How many tags can I add to a thread?

The member who starts a thread may add up to 15 tags to the thread. Members can add up to 20 tags to a thread started by someone else. A thread is limited to a total of 25 tags.

Are there tags I shouldn't add?

All tags are public and can be viewed by everyone, so all tags should follow our forum guidelines. You should not use:

• Profane, obscene, and/or explicit language
  • Tags that are mean or hateful
  • Tags that might harass, abuse or threaten other members of the community
  • Tags that promote illegal or immoral conduct

How do I report an inappropriate tag?

1. Use the "Report Post" option on any post within the thread.
  2. Click the little white triangle outlined in red.
  3. In the message box that will pop up, tell us which thread tag you think is inappropriate and why if that information is helpful. (Such as an "afghan" tag on a shawl.)
  4. Click "Send Report."

How can tags be useful to me?

• Use a thread's tags to look for similar threads. Scroll to the bottom of the thread and look at the tags listed for that thread. Click on a tag to see a list of other threads that have been tagged with that same label.

• Search tags to find what you're looking for on Crochetville.
    • Click the "Search" link in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any Crochetville page.
    • Click the "Tag Search" option.
    • Search for a specific tag word by entering that word in the "Search by Tag" box.

• Browse our most-used tags.
    • Click the "Search" link in the dark blue navigation bar at the top of any Crochetville page.
    • Click the "Tag Search" option.
    • Look at the Tag Cloud, which shows a list of the most-used thread tag words. Click on any tag of interest.

• Browse our most-searched-for tags.
    • Click the "Advanced Search" option.
    • Scroll to the bottom of the page to look at the Tag Cloud, which shows a list of the most-searched-for thread tag words. Click on any tag of interest.

Questions About Tags?

If you have any questions about the tag feature, please ask them in this thread.

• 1 month later...

Archived