Micro preemie teddy bear hat. With Pattern!

KristieMN

My middle child Libby has a teacher that became a grandpa on the 26th of December.

The little girl is 3 months early....and small!

With this little one being born on Libbys birthday... I had to make a hat for this baby!

This is what I came up with.

I will include a pattern if anyone is interested.

Libby delivered it today to the little girls grandpa. I thought it would fit perfect.

post-2681-135897613234_thumb.jpg

I put it next to a pop can so you can get an idea of the size.

post-2681-135897613239_thumb.jpg

post-2681-135897613243_thumb.jpg

Here is the pattern for the hat! Thanks for all the feedback!

Supplies needed:

F hook

Tapestry needle

small amounts of baby yarn

Ribbon bow (optional)

stitch marker

Terms used:

sc = single crochet

sc inc = single crochet increase

sc dec = single crochet decrease

FO =finish off/fasten off

ch = chain

The hat is worked in a spiral. Do not join round ends.

Hat

Ch 2

1) 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook

2) 2 sc in each sc around (12 sc)

3) (2 sc in first sc, sc in next sc) repeat around (18 sc)

4) (2 sc in first sc, sc in next 2 sc) repeat around (24 sc)

5) (2 sc in first sc, sc in next 3 sc) repeat around (36 sc)

6-18) sc in each sc around.

FO and weave in ends.

Ears (make 2)

Ch 2

1) 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook

2) 2 sc in each sc around (12 sc)

3) (2 sc in first sc, sc in next 3 sc) repeat around (15 sc)

4-5) sc in each sc around

6) (sc-dec, sc in next 3 sc) repeat around (12 sc)

FO leaving long ends for sewing.

Pin ears to hat in desired place.

Use tail to sew ears onto hat.

Sew a ribbon bow onto one ear (optional)

Roll bottom edge of hat up.

You are done! :cheer

Oh how cute!! And soooo tiny!! One of my nieces had her little baby boy a few months early and couldn't believe how little he was!!

that is too cute !!! I would love that....just found out a friends daughter works in a large neo-natal unit....I would love them in all pastel colors to give to her!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! It is too cute! My dd was born 2 months early and I had nothing ready for her. I was given a hat and booties that someone made and donated. I still have them tucked away for when she is older. She is 11 and perfectly healthy now. It's the little things that make such an impact for mothers who are going thru having a preemie! God Bless You!

You are so welcome!

It really opened my eyes to the world of preemies when my niece had her baby so early.

I have some more preemie hat patterns to post...just need to write them up!

• 2 weeks later...

When my niece had her preemies, two of them, there was NOTHING for them! What a wonderful thing you did for this little one. I'm sure it is loved and appreciated so much. And, thank you for the pattern!

• 2 weeks later...

You did an adorable job on your little preemie teddy bear hat! Thanks so much for being kind enough to share the pattern,too. I lead a ministry for preemies,Project Angel Kisses, and we'd love to make some precious preemie hats from your design. Just a little important info,though, that I wasn't aware of when I started the preemie ministry almost 9 years ago. NICU's generally do not put hats on babies who weigh under 3-4 pounds except for a quick photo op. These fragile little babies must stay under a heating lamp that strictly regulates thier temperature, Even something as simple as a hat will affect that. Giving the family any kind of clothing or blanket that would actually fit the baby at that size is still a great idea for them to have as a keepsake. One day they can show thier sweet child how very small they were by looking at the gifts you made. I'm sure this teeny,tiny baby's family was thrilled to have your sweet,soft,little teddy bear hat! Thanks again for sharing your creation with all of us!

Blessings,

Leslie

Thanks for the pattern, how adorable! I'm 'collecting' free baby hat patterns and making a ton for charity! I'll just use a bigger hook and make this more of a 0-3 month size. Thanks again!

Hi,

How special that you're collecting baby hat patterns to crochet for charity. Here's a great link with lots of adorable baby hat patterns. Don't worry if your hats looks too big or too small. The beauty of crafting for charity is that since babies come in all shapes and sizes, what doesn't fit one will always fit another. Have fun!

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_hats.php

Blessings,

Leslie

Archived