What do you keep your projects in?

sopo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually use one of those recycled bags (the kind thats cloth-y on the inside and plastic-y on the outside). I had a big one that I used to keep all colors for the project in, my hooks, my project, and stuffing in, but then that was a lot to carry around so I'm using a smaller one now that will hold a project, a couple skeins of yarn, and my pencil bag with my hooks/needles in it ^^

I use tote bags with handles for the smaller projects and reusable grocery bags for larger projects. The small ones I line up on a shelf in the bookshelf and the larger ones fit under the coffee table. I keep all my hooks and tools in a pencil box on the coffee table so I always have it. I keep a notebook in there too with notes about the projects (hook sizes, etc)

I have two Nebraska Lottery canvas bags that DH won during promotions for some lottery. One is very nice. It has pockets inside and on the outside. The other is just a simple canvas bag. But they are washable and hold my projects until I am finished. My son & DIL gave me a really nice large tote bag for Christmas and I keep all my Prayer shawl yarns and projects in it. And then my yarns stash I keep in see thru totes and have them numbered. And then I have a large card that lists which yarns and how many skeins of each I have. I only have 3 or 4 totes. LOL And my New Year Resolution is not to buy any more yarn until I can eliminate at least one tote.

My other son and DIL gave me a bottle of wine in a really nice hat box looking container. I store some of my crochet hooks and shorter knitting needles in it. The crochet hooks I use a lot are in a canvas pencil bag with a zipper, that I keep in my canvas bag. I am slowly collecting plastic toothbrush storage containers and put my DPN's in them marking what size they are.

I bought one of those craft bags with a metal frame that stands. It has lots of nice pockets too. But the metals parts come apart and the bag falls over. I really liked it, but I can't get it to stay together.

Timeflies

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the local family dollar a long time ago and came across a large hat box....I use it for the project that im currently working on and it's nice because it has a lid so I can keep dust off of whatever im working on:)

Let's see. I have a tote bag that holds my sugar n cream yarn, dishcloth pattern book, size G hook and scissors. Another tote has worsted weight yarn, pattern book for doing clothes for 13 and15 inch dolls, with a zipper bag with scissors and crochet hooks. Another tote bag has a cotton thread, steel hooks, scissors and instructions for Barbie clothes. I have plastic tote w/handles that holds my left over yarn to make that I use to make a scrap afghan. For my stash of yarn, I keep in a huge ziplock bag. Depending on my mood, I can just grab a tote bag and go.

I mostly do afghans so I need large. My favorite project containers are three mesh trash cans. One of my recliners is the kind that has the gap between the leg and foot rest. Since the trash can is rigid, I can lay it on it's side facing me, with the bottom resting against the foot rest over the gap. It's easy to work from and prevents yarn falling through and rolling under the chair.

Recently I also bought some medium size plastic totes that hold projects that have currently fallen from grace and are on hold or just farther back in the queue (yes, I've been working on too many things at once).

I have a denim tote bag for projects I carry to work. It will hold a skein or two of thread and the smallish beginning of an afghan. When it won't fit easily in the tote, it becomes an at-home project.

They're kind of everywhere. :blink If I need to take something somewhere it's usually a canvas tote. To store as a WIP (UFO?) it is most often in a plastic zip bag but not always. I'm pretty inconsistent, honestly. :eek

I keep my most current project in a stackable basket next to my big chair. I also keep a full basket of cotton skeins under the end table by my chair to remind me constantly that I need to use this yarn up! :D

My current doily project is in a medium size, metal, flower bucket with the hook, also by my chair. I just leave the ball of yarn on my "thread holder" next to it.

I store hooks in 3 different eyeglass cases that snap shut and are hard-backed. My steels, Clover's and aluminums. These sit on the cotton thread basket, ready for use. My other hooks like the bamboo handled and other larger hooks I store in a desktop pencil holder and non dairy creamer canisters. I intended to paint them after I removed the labels but never go around to it. The afghan hooks are stored with my knitting needles in a plastic box made for them. I keep a pretty, wood chest behind my chair full of crochet thread. As you can see, I am surrounded by crochet!:c9

in my studio I keep 11 binders full of patterns on a bookshelf, pattern books next to them and also reference books. The books I do not use frequently, I keep sorted in the closet on shelves.

All yarn is sorted and stored in large plastic bins and in the cupboards in the studio. Yarn scraps are kept in the closet in the guest bedroom. This may all sound messy but believe me, I am a stickler for tidiness.

Well- this post got chatty! Hope some of these help others.;)

Wow! You all have great ideas. I use a tote, ziploc bag, plastic shopping bag, cloth shopping bag. I try not to use the plastic bags because I almost threw out a project because I thought it was trash.

I also use the Walmart bags to put my yarn in. Problem is I have all these blue bags in my bedroom. LOL. I have a small black bag that I think was suppose to use for carrying stuff other than my yarn but I use it to carry my hook case I made plus the yarn I am using at the moment. It also has a zippered compartment in front that holds all kinds of goodies. Hooks that do not fit in my hook case, pins to pin out my doilys, oh just all kinds of stuff. I have my three pom pom makers in there. It is full.

But I was at Joanns and bought one of their bags and now I like them better than Walmarts. I am thinking of getting a few more. Right now I use the one I have to put my projects in too. I carry them all to work. Just never know what I might want to make. I too have a tub and a big traveling bag to hold my yarn. And a 4 drawer plastic thing from Walmart to hold my thread.

Avalee

I have a tote from joanns, a bag my grandma regifted to me that I (with no offense intended) call my old-lady bag. Its a neat green and blue weaved bag. Sturdy. And I have a could of other reusable totes waiting to be filled. Finished projects waiting for donation are kept in plastic grocery bags.

(Linked bag contains the F word might not want to open around kids or at work)

http://www.cafepress.com.au/+tote_bag,214561947 This is what I will be keeping my WIP's in as soon as it is delivered to me.

That bag is so awesome. I'm tempted to get one myself!

I stole the dresser out of our upstairs linen closet :blush for my stash [and had to put the extra sheets & pillowcases in my suitcases. nobody here knows yet LOL].

My fo's for gifting go in one of the drawers, fo's I'm considering frogging go in another, the other two drawers are for yarn.

My wip's get carried around the house in a PacSun bag with drawstrings.

My hooks and accessories like scissors, yarn needle are stored in a cosmetic bag that someone gave me.

If I have multiple wip's then they go in two fabric shopping bags that I hang from the handles of the aforementioned dresser.

• 2 months later...

I have all sorts of totes for WIPs but usually use a nice shopping bag at home -- the paper kind with square bottom and handles. If I am traveling, or going out to crochet, I usually use one of the totes I bought for the purpose, like the one from etsy, shown below in the pretty yarn motif fabric. I keep the yarn for current project in my yarn organizer. I copied a picture from ebay that is like the one I have, so you can see it below too:

post-36681-135897662703_thumb.jpg

post-36681-135897662706_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived