What do you keep your projects in?

sopo

Just wondering what everyone keeps the projects they are working on in? Just starting crocheting again, I am using Walmart sacks. I will put all the yarn I need for one project in one sack, yarn for another in another. Then my stash or extra yarn (which is very small at this point) is in a tub.

I had seen a picture of a crochet tote that had 3 skeins of yarn standing on end in it with pockets for the scissors, needles, etc.. and was wondering how many used them or what your alternative is?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a storage ottoman in the living room with several projects and random skeins in it. A new yarn tote that I got for Christmas that I haven't put to use just yet but plan to soon. For projects that I take to work and back (work on while waiting for start of shift, work on at lunch time, have with me for appointments after work, etc) I use Walmart bags because they are cheap, easy, and waterproof for inside my lunch bag!

I have stuff all over the place. For my tools though, I use a zippered pencil case, for yarn that I'm not using, I have those cloth hanging shelves (that you'd store your sweaters, for example, in) some Rubber Maid totes too. For projects, just call me the bag lady. Lots of different tote bags, shopping backs, even a small backpack. For small WIP's that I can't get to right away, I use clear zippered plastic bags...(with the zipper partially open so the threads and yarns can breath...) It's not a perfect set up, but for right now it works.

I keep them in handled reusable tote bags from different places. They are lightweight, inexpensive and easy to carry around. (I currently have some that I bought when Walgreens was running a sale on theirs at 3 for $1 so I picked up about a dozen). Some are zippered, others just open, some have pockets that I tuck in accessories.

My yarn and thread is stored in boxes in the closet. Projects that I'm working on: Thread items is kept in a fly fishing basket. I keep the lid closed and the thread comes through the hole in the top. I also use a tin can that popcorn comes in, for both thread and yarn.

My current projects are kept in a baggy in a small tote if they are small projects (thread doilies, socks, hats etc...) Large ones like afghans sit in a large basket so I can keep the yarn I am using in it. They are usually on the love seat next to me. This way I can hang the tote on a door handle and put the basket in the bedroom when company comes.

I use the bags from different stores, the ones from the christmas tree shop and tjmaxx are really big!! I also have the round, cylinder bag that has openings on the lid for the yarn to come out. It's really nice and I'd like to get another one, but for now the the shopping bags work great!

A lot of stores now are selling the reuseable shopping bags, and I find they're perfect for storing projects. JoAnn has a HUGE bag they sell for a dollar or two, and I can easily fit a large afghan and the yarn in the bag.

I have used laundry baskets, tote bags, ziploc bags, and garbage bags. It just depends on how big the project is, where I plan to work on it, and how portable I need it to be.

I have a huge queen sized crochet/quilt monster in a garbage bag next to my desk right now. I've got it stored there so that the cats don't sleep on it while I work on the next row to add to it. As I pieced it together I kept it in a laundry basket in the den... well, when it wasn't spread out over the coffee table, that is! :lol

If it's a take-along project, a small tote is good. If it's a smallish afghan, a medium tote is good. You get the idea. Just whatever will work! :D

To carry WIP's in, I have a reusable bag from a local grocery store, it's nice and deep. I also have a pink one that someone gave me. I just reorganized things, and put all my patterns and unused tools in that one. I have my yarn stored in two and a half boxes. The half is the lid from one of the boxes that is just the right size for abt 10 skeins of wool yarn.

I have a zipper case for my hooks, that I bought a yonk's age ago. I stuck two pair of scissors and a couple of needles for just in case in there as well.

I'm definitely a grocery sack person for my WIPs. Some of my hooks are temporarily housed in a little wooden case I got at Michael's. (The rest of my hooks are AWOL. My hubby and I moved to our house in November of '09 and I STILL haven't found all of my hooks!)

I found what works great for hooks... there is a tiny little plastic box in fishing for lures. It has 3 rows then it has little removable dividers. One row is perfect for my hooks, the dividers I used to make spaces big enough for: thread needles, stitch markers, beads for eyes. Even fits my tiny scissors. Was less than $3.00

For large projects I use a canvas tote with the holes in the side that holds 6 skiens of yarn, I have a few small trash cans (bathroom size) that I put thread projects in and I also have a couple of small totes for smaller yarn projects and/or portable projects (yarn or thread). And I've also used different types of plastic bags. I've got a small, zippered, clear cosmetic case for my implements, hook cases for my hooks and my stash is in plastic totes, plastic bags and boxes.

A diaper bag works well too. I had one for years for my projects. Now, I use a lot of different totes.

:manyheart

I currently have everything inside a tote that I once used for school. My hooks, needles, place holders, etc are in a zippered case that once was for my daughters first aid (it had two pouches that zipped and then velcroed together but we condensed.)

Anything I can :rofl Actually, I have large projects that I want to make with the yarn and pattern in dog bed clear plastic, zippered things and in bedspread covers like them and in sheet covers for small items like socks and totes and just about anything and everything you can imagine!!! Whatever works that doesn't cost anything.

I love big purses for on-the-go projects. I usually put the yarn/project in a large plastic ziplock bag and toss in my purse. I've recently converted my eco friendly fabric sandwich bag to hold all my hooks, sissors, tape measure, etc. Very convenient to keep everything in one place and readily available to toss in my big purse when heading out the door.

I love big purses for on-the-go projects. I usually put the yarn/project in a large plastic ziplock bag and toss in my purse. I've recently converted my eco friendly fabric sandwich bag to hold all my hooks, sissors, tape measure, etc. Very convenient to keep everything in one place and readily available to toss in my big purse when heading out the door.

Great idea of converting a eco friendly fabric sandwich bag! Never thought of that.

Archived