RoseRed's version of the SERAFINA SHAWL Pattern

RoseRed

... is now being hosted at the ville with permission from AmyS and Doni - the amazing designer who thought it up in the first place!

RoseRed's

Serafina Shawl

post-10150-135897613138_thumb.jpg

(The above is made with Joann's Sensation's Boucle)

Those of you that know me know that I LOVE this shawl,

love it so much that I've lost count of how many I've made.

The most WONDERFUL things about this pattern are that

it can be made in any size with any combination of colors or yarns.

HUGE Serafina's

post-10150-135897613142_thumb.jpg**

Tween to Adult Size

post-10150-135897613149_thumb.jpg

and even Itty Bitty

post-10150-13589761315_thumb.jpg

I make mine a little bit different from Doni's but I worked very closely with her pattern to create mine. My pattern for the Serafina is a little bit different and a little bit tweaked and written completely in my own words. It also lays flat using the appropriate hook for the size of the yarn. The full PDF can be downloaded below.

... but first - links to the original patterns:

Doni's Original Seraphina Shawl Pattern

C'ville's Revised Seraphina Pattern

There have been made many, many beautiful shawls from the original pattern.

Please make sure to check it out!

Click below to download PDF file

RoseRed's version SERAFINA complete pattern.pdf

post-10150-135897613131_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613139_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613141_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613143_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613145_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613146_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's truly amazing is that you can change the look of it by adding stripes which come out looking VERY cool!, using varigated or shaded yarn. It's such a versatile and beautiful pattern that I'm honored to be able to share my version of it with you.

post-10150-135897613156_thumb.jpg

Large close-Up of the stripe pattern

post-10150-135897613158_thumb.jpg

Large view of working off the center shell

post-10150-135897613161_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613152_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897613157_thumb.jpg

RR's Version of the

Serafina

post-10150-135897613168_thumb.jpg

Materials

Amount of yarn is entirely dependent on how large you want to make the shawl.

Any yarn with appropriate sized hook

Any size - this version lays flat!

Special Stitches

(The name of each st tells you exactly what you need to do in each location)

hdcV1 - (hdc, ch1, hdc) in next st

hdcV2 - (hdc, ch2, hdc) in next st

2hdc shell - 2hdc, ch2, 2hdc

3hdc shell - 3hdc, ch2, 3hdc

Cshell - Center Shell - 3dc, ch2, 3dc. Cshell is the ONLY 3dc shell in this pattern!

BR - Begin Row - ch2, (counts as 1st dc) turn, 2dc in same st, ch1, dc in next ch1 sp

ER - End Row - 3dc in last st

Pattern Notes

~this pattern is worked in rows, you will ch2, turn

~the only dc shell in the whole pattern is the center shell

~When there are 8dc's next to each other you will know to break it up into (3dc, Vst, 3dc ) in the next row.

~It's a mirror image on either side of the center shell

Instructions

ch 4, sl st to form a ring

R1 - ch2 (counts as 1st dc now and throughout), 2dc, ch1, shell, ch1, 3dc

R2 - BR, dc in next 3 sts, in the next ch2 sp work the following: [dc, ch1, 2dc shell, ch1, dc], dc in next

3dc, ER

R3 - BR , dc in next 5 dcs, dc in ch1 sp, ch1, shell in shell, ch1 dc in ch1 sp, dc in next 5dcs, ER

R4 - BR, *dc in next 3dc, hdcV1 in next dc, dc in next 3dc and ch sp, ch1,* shell in shell, ch1, dc in ch1 sp,

repeat from * to *, ER

R5 - BR, *dc in next 4dc, ch1, hdcV1 in Vst sp, ch1, dc in next 4dcs and ch sp, ch1* shell in shell, ch1, dc

in ch1 sp, repeat from * to *, ER

R6 - BR, *dc in next 5dc, ch1, hdcV2 in Vst sp, ch1, dc in next 5dcs and ch sp, ch1* shell in shell, ch1, dc

in ch1 sp, repeat from * to *, ER

R7 - BR, *dc in next 6dc, ch1, (2hdc, ch1, 2hdc) in Vst sp, ch1, dc in next 6dcs and ch sp, ch1* shell in

shell, ch1, dc in ch1 sp, repeat from * to *, ER

R8 - BR, *dc in next 7dc, ch1, 2hdc shell in Vst sp, ch1, dc in next 7dcs and ch sp, ch1* shell in shell, ch1,

dc in ch1 sp, repeat from * to *, ER

start your next completed shell column increase

R9 - BR, *dc in next 3dc, hdcV1, dc in next 4 dcs, ch1, 3hdc shell in shell sp, ch1, dc in next 4dc, hdcV1,

dc in next 3dc and ch sp, ch1. shell in shell, ch1, dc in ch1 sp, repeat from * to *, ER

cont increasing in this manner until it's the size you want.

Helpful Notes

RRs Version of Serafina

Notes

NOTES -

- When there are 7dc's next to each other - you will break it up into (4dc, Vst, 4dc ) in the next row.

- This pattern is the same, forwards and backwards, on both sides of the center shell (not including the

edges)

- What I cal the shell column in the line of shells that go across the shawl vertically.

- You will increase in 4 places in each and every row. As part of the BR and ER - the dc in the ch1sp AND

on each side of the Center Shell - the dc in the ch1sp.

- the ONLY place you put a dc in a ch sp is next to the edge or next to the center shell.

- following the shell column row counts is not exactly mandatory. It just makes it look neater in the finished

product.

Misc

- The BR & ER is just because I'm lazy and don't feel like typing it out for every line. It's very important

that you keep the 3dc groups neat because these create the edges of the shawl.

- Row 4 begins the 1st shell increase.

all shell columns will be made with hdc. - you'll see

{hdc, ch1, hdc) begins the shell column.,

R1 - in R1 you begin your edges (3dc, ch1) on either side of the 1st center shell

R2 - the center ch2 space may seem crowded but it is necessary. There are now 5dc's in a row. The next

row will have 7 and then we will begin our first shell increase.

R3 - you're now set up for the shell increase in the next row. has 7 instead of 8 dc's in a row because at this

point we are increasing on each side of the dc block. In the future, all dc blocks willl contain 8dcs.

R4 - because we are working right next to the center shell, you'll divide the 7dc's next to each other. In all

of the following increases, you will only be increasing on 1 side of the dc group. The beginning of the shell

column will be a hdcVst with 4dc's on either side.

R5 - the 2nd row of the shell column will separate it from the row with a ch on each side. ch, hdcVst, ch

R6- the hdc, ch2, hdc now has enough room to hold a 2dcshell in the next row.

R7 - There is a 7dc block and your first 2hdc, ch1,(2hdc, ch1, 2hdc) in Vst s, 2hdc

R8 - has 8dcs in a row, you will split this in half in the next round. it also has the last 2hdcshell, making it

ready for the full shell in the next row

R9 - you put your first hdcshell in your shell column on the same row as you start a new column with the

hdcV1

Shortened/Quick Version of

Serafina Pattern

ch4 loop

R1 - 3dc, ch1, shell, ch1, 3dc

R2 - 3dc, ch1, 5dc, ch1, shell, ch1, 5dc, ch1, 3dc

R3 - 3dc, ch1, 7dc, ch1, shell, ch1, 7dc, ch1, 3dc

R4 - 3dc, ch1, 4dc, hdcVst, 4dc, ch1, shell {mirror image)

R5 - 3dc, ch1, 5dc, ch1, hdcV1, ch1, 5dc, ch1, shell {mirror image)

R6 - 3dc, ch1, 6dc, ch1, hdcV2, ch1, 6dc, ch1, shell {mirror image)

R7 - 3dc, ch1, 7dc, ch1, (2hdc, ch1, 2hdc) in Vst sp, ch1, 7dc, ch1, shell {mirror image)

R8 - 3dc, ch1, 8dc, ch1, 2hdc shell in Vst sp, ch1, 8dc, ch1, shell {mirror image)

R9 - 3dc, ch1, 4dc, hdcV1, 4dc, ch1, hdcshell, ch1, 4dc, hdcV1, 4dc, ch1, Center Shell,

Thank you RoseRed for posting all this! I have made 2 of these but not in awhile...this makes me want to make one using your changes. I love the red one and the way the coloring is! Is that JoAnn's sensations yarn that you used for it?

RoseRed and I were so pleased that Doni graciously granted permission for us to host this adaptation of her fabulously beautiful Seraphina shawl.

Just more variations for people to choose from!

RoseRed, you've done a lot of work putting this thread together. Thank you!!

You're very welcome Amy. I wanted to honor this amazing pattern and the wonderful designer who came up with the original.

Let me tell ya - working with this many pictures was a LOT of work!

I HOPE that people will share some of their FO's here.

Yes - the shaded shawls are all made with Joann's Sensations Boucle.

Just to let everyone know, we're having a technical problem with the pdf file RoseRed tried to upload in the first post.

We hope we'll have the file available to download a little later today.

All better now. I found out that you can only post 10 uploads in a post. Once you upload your 11th one - it kicks the 1st on out. It still says [Attach whatever] but it's no longer there.

I've been gone all day. I'm glad I checked in before heading off to bed.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to be able to share this with you all! :ghug

Great big thanx to Amy for having such an awesome place to host patterns (and her amazing terms of use for hosting) and to Doni for so graciously allowing this pattern to be published here.

How very wonderful of you to share this beautiful adaptation with the 'Ville!

It is just lovely and I always love to see how the Sensations Boucle striping just seems to run out perfectly over the shawls - I have done a few of Doni's and am now looking forward to try your pattern!

Thanks so very very much for sharing!

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

I love the Serafina shawl. I've only made one from Doni's pattern, but always figured I'd make another one (or more). Can't wait to try your variation RoseRed! I just started a new shawl pattern earlier or else I'd be making it now. :lol

First let me say these are just beautiful. And I loooove the blue and red one. Ok now I have 2 question(not sure if this is the place to ask these question) I trying to make one of these and I kinda of confused with the pattern. I have 8 dc in a row do I now repeat row 9. And my 2nd question is how do I know when to add a second color if I want to add one to make it like the blue and red one. I hope someone here can explain this so I continue working on this lovely pattern, Thank you.

Pauly

Dadgum it, RoseRed!!! You know I like you and all that stuff but now I'll tell you what you've done!!!! You've posted a pattern that I HAVE TO MAKE!!! and it will go to the TOP of my patterns to make folder! Thank you!!! :) I, too, have made more of these than I can count. I have copies of the original and the revised one. I'll add yours to my 'best patterns' folder.

First let me say these are just beautiful. And I loooove the blue and red one. Ok now I have 2 question(not sure if this is the place to ask these question)

I trying to make one of these and I kinda of confused with the pattern. I have 8 dc in a row do I now repeat row 9.

And my 2nd question is how do I know when to add a second color if I want to add one to make it like the blue and red one. I hope someone here can explain this so I continue working on this lovely pattern, Thank you.

Pauly

To make it like the blue one I just got to the end and alternated the red and blue for a few rounds and continued edging it in sc.

You're sort of going to repeat Row 9. The beginning will be the same but you'll have an extra repeat on each side of the center shell.

Archived