2011 - 5th Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

First, let me thank everyone for your patience. We've been doing some home improvements (rearranging rooms, painting, refinishing cabinets, new interior doors, etc), which have meant that I haven't considered the house a safe place to expose your lovely gifts to in order to take pictures of them.

Things are at a place (for now anyway) where I was able to open the two boxes that have been here waiting for me.

These 5 are from CShort. The large blanket will be great for a newborn, and the 4 surrounding it are preemie sized (folded into quarters in order to fit ino the pic). The pink one at the bottom is a lovely verigated yarn. All of these will make the family of a sick baby so greatful.

post-2886-135897639375_thumb.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These 3 lovely ghans are soooo soft. The picture makes them look blue, but they are actually purple. They are soft and cuddly and will wrap a little one with love and bring strength to parents who need it most.

post-2886-135897639379_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What a wonderful project!! I am working on two charity projects now and need to finish an afghan for my youngest daughter, but I think I may be able to make one or two for your hospital. Two of my sisters are NICU nurses. I've been wondering if their hospitals have anyone doing this type of project for them. My husband donated most of his beanie baby collection to her unit a few years ago. Each family was able to take one home when the baby went home.

Kathryn said it was okay for me to post a link to my Sampler Baby Afghan CAL: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126999. I thought some of you might enjoy trying a new pattern for making afghans for her project.

I am designing an afghan inspired by my own daughter, Rowan, who spent her one day of life in the NICU. She was also given a crocheted afghan and quilt, which is all we had to bring home and snuggle. These blankets and hats mean so much to the families of these little babies, so keep making them!

I welcome anyone who wants to join Rowan's Sampler Afghan CAL, whether they are making blankets to donate or to keep.

Thanks,

Look at the package that Susan sent! These 8 cuddly & beautiful ghans were made by Susan and her sister. The small ones are quiet delicate, and the two largest are soft and cuddly and lovely! I think the round one really looks like a pinwheel in motion with the verigated yarn.

post-2886-1358976455_thumb.jpg

These 7 blankets were made by my co-worker's pastor's wife. Evidently, she got a new sewing machine and decided to make blankets for the babies as her way of taking the machine on a test drive! The blankets all have co-ordinating fabric on the back, and very interesting quilting.... some hearts are sewn in, some arrows, some squiggles. All very sweet.

post-2886-135897645528_thumb.jpg

I have a co-worker whose niece, only a few months old, had to go to Oakland Children's Hospital and spend time in the NICU. My co-worker doesn't know the whole story (the neice is better now, but she doesn't see the family much), but the baby received one of the afghans that was donated last year!

She is going to try to find out more when she can about the afghan, when they got it, etc. But, I thought you'd all like to know!

Plus, my co-worker has a friend who has a baby there now with heart trouble, I imagine the baby has gotten an afghan, but I have no confirmation of that.

I have a co-worker whose niece, only a few months old, had to go to Oakland Children's Hospital and spend time in the NICU. My co-worker doesn't know the whole story (the neice is better now, but she doesn't see the family much), but the baby received one of the afghans that was donated last year!

She is going to try to find out more when she can about the afghan, when they got it, etc. But, I thought you'd all like to know!

Plus, my co-worker has a friend who has a baby there now with heart trouble, I imagine the baby has gotten an afghan, but I have no confirmation of that.

That is great to hear. :cheer

That's great. Isn't it the greatest feeling to know of people who actually get your blankets? Do you have a blog or website so people can find you. I was frustrated when the only place online I found the "Lullaby Quilters" who made my Rowan's NICU Quilt was someone else looking for them. That is why I started my Remembering Rowan Blog and put a tag on every blanket we donate. Several moms have found my blog and thanked us. It is nice to know who created the thoughtful gifts for our sick babies. :manyheart

This is the 5th year that I am coming to all of you generous people to ask for help. In 2006, my son was born and we were suprised to discover a very rare and potentially deadly disorder. The disorder was so rare, that only 5 other people, in the entire world, had had it in the 10 years preceeding his birth.

When my son was 3 days old he was flown by helicopter to Oakland Children's Hospital where the amazing and caring staff saved his life and tended to the entire family.

My son was born in November and spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. We thought he would be there for Christmas - and if it's possible to make your life's most terrifying moment worse - the thought of him there at Christmas added to my pain. Thankfully, when Nathan was 13 days old, he came home.

The thing that got me through my darkest moments was the kindness of people I will never meet. Knowing that someone was thinking of the babies - of my son - of me - gave me strength. I would like to pass that strength onto the families of babies who are at the hospital now.

My effort is on the NICU babies since that is where my son was - however, the hospital cares for children from Extreme Preemie - to 18 years old. There is a need for anything that you might want to contribute.

I am asking for donations of afghans for the babies. The smallest baby is only slightly larger than a Barbie Doll - so anything for them should be a lighter weight yarn. The largest NICU baby is up to a year old - so, any sized afghan that you would make for a one year old baby is appropriate.

Afghans with lots of holes in them can get caught in the many wires the baby might be in.. the smaller the baby - figure more wires - so less holes.

Hats are wonderful - booties are wonderful - EVERYTHING is needed and appreciated. While most of the NICU babies are saved, some are not - if you would like to make burial gowns, I can take them too.

Any yarn is good... figure the more easily washed, the better.

If you are moved to make something for an older child - I can take that too. My mother always goes with me on delivery day, and she contributes hats and scarves for the older kids.

I can take any item from you at any time during the year. I always deliver the week after Thanksgiving, and the first items are given out by Santa on Christmas day. The rest are used throughout the year by the nurses and the hospital chaplain. Some afghans will be given to wrap babies as they pass away in their parents' arms - and then given to the parents to take home so they have a treasured memory of their baby.

I am greatful to all of you who have helped me in the years past, and who think of helping this year. In 2010, we brought 280 afghans to the NICU. That's almost enough for an entire year worth of the children that the NICU treats. I'm told they service between 300 and 400 babies in the NICU in a given year. My goal for this year's collection is 300 - I think we can do it!

So far, this year, we have collected:

Afghans: 52

Hats: 35

Hi Kathryn,

Guess what?! I am so excited because I have been working long and hard on this NICU afghan. So basically I will be sending you out a box hopefully by the end of next week. I am very happy to contribute and cant wait till you see my contribution.....

Penny:c9

Hi Kathryn,

Guess what?! I am so excited because I have been working long and hard on this NICU afghan. So basically I will be sending you out a box hopefully by the end of next week. I am very happy to contribute and cant wait till you see my contribution.....

Penny:c9

I can't wait either Penny! I'll let you know when it arrives, thank you!:hug

Is it okay if we put tags on our ghans that we send? I didn't know if the NICU allowed that (or if you prefer to leave them anonymous). I have one preemie ghan finished, and I'm currently working on a RR. (It's my stash busting project...for some reason, I have lots of Caron SS yarn, and I hate the stuff, but it makes for really soft ghans!)

Is it okay if we put tags on our ghans that we send? I didn't know if the NICU allowed that (or if you prefer to leave them anonymous). I have one preemie ghan finished, and I'm currently working on a RR. (It's my stash busting project...for some reason, I have lots of Caron SS yarn, and I hate the stuff, but it makes for really soft ghans!)

I think tags are a great idea!

When my MOMS Club did our 1st donation for our NICU project we had a reception and blanket show at the local library. Most of them were novice crocheters and we wanted to show off and celebrate all their hard work. We printed tags we pinned on each blanket saying "Made by..." or "Donated by...". We left those on when we took them to the hospital.

We also have fabric tags we stitch on one corner which read "Love and Comfort To You, Remembering Rowan Project, MOMS Club of Camas, WA" and our Butterfly logo a friend designed for us.

The Quilt my daughter received in the NICU had a tag that said, "Love and Comfort to You from MaryLou, Lullaby Quilts, Beaverton, OR" (which inspired our tags). I still wish I could thank her. :hug

I think tags are a great idea!

The Quilt my daughter received in the NICU had a tag that said, "Love and Comfort to You from MaryLou, Lullaby Quilts, Beaverton, OR" (which inspired our tags). I still wish I could thank her. :hug

Laurinda,

Here is a link that can get you closer to finding the lady that made your daugther's quilt for Lullaby Quilts. This link is affiliated with them in some way and may be able to put you in touch with the actual group:

www.lcsnw.org/washcounty/rsvp.html

I love playing detective :)

So many wonderful baby 'ghans coming in already. :manyheart And quilts, lovely handmade quilts!

I love the idea of a small tag. Now you need to give this charity project an "official" name so we can add it to our tags. No pressure!

I'm plugging away here. I'm slightly behind my goal, I've lost some of my mojo this last month. Summer is on the way, and that is my prime time for small baby 'ghans as it gets too hot to make anything big.

I was amazed to read that your charity hit so close to home. What are the odds that someone you work with would know someone who has benefited from your charity? What a small world.

Keep crocheting everyone. I believe Kathryn has set a goal of reaching 300 blankets this year. If anyone can do it, it's all of us together here at Crochetville. :hook If you can find it in your heart to make even one, it brings Kathryn close to her goal! :cheer

I think we'll hit 300 this year. We came so close last year. Now that the painting and kitchen refinish is done at my house, I'll be cranking them out!

As far as a name for us.... I'm not incorporating, or developing an actual charity.. I"m just the driver to deliver the wonderful goods from everyone here... but, if people want a name, we can come up with one. Suggestions? Handmade Hugs?

PJ, thanks. When I searched a couple years ago, the link I could find online was to someone else who had posted looking for them. Glad they finally have an internet presence. Thanks! :hug

• 5 weeks later...

I have some made. It's already May and I haven't even sent one box to you yet!! I've been busy making baby blankets for people having babies.

I need to get on this project too!!

Pam - I know that when you do send a box, it will be what I think of as a "clown car box of afghans." - there are always so many from you - the box seems bottomless!

I've been working on mine again. I got off to a slow start this year, but I've found my mojo again thankfully!

Look how our number just grew! I got a box yesterday - huge box filled with wonderful softness. The ghans you see here are so pretty... bright, vibrant colors to bring cheer to the families of these sick babies, and 2 ghans of more soothing colors to help calm the babies that have a hard time resting. These all will be so treasured.

post-2886-135897656944_thumb.jpg

post-2886-135897656949_thumb.jpg

Hi Kathryn ~ Wow so many beautiful blankets!... I have 2 premie size blankies for you. Please PM your mailing info when you have a chance. I probably won't be able to get to the post office before this coming Monday. Thank you! :)

Archived