2011 - 5th Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking for a NICU dontation. My son is making baby hats, he has 4 preemie ones made so far and I would like to dontate to the afghan's for the infants. I am a Public Health Nurse and I have made afghans in the past for the mothers I visit, the preemies after they come home. We would be more than pleased to contribute.

Penny:c9

Thank you Penny!

Sorry to all of you for my absence the last few days... we've had computer issues (I'm on my work computer right now), but that should be fixed today. I have a wonderful box of goodies that I need to photograph and get up in the thread tonight!

Melindawitchcy sent these to me last week and has been very patient waiting for me to get this picture up! We moved around some furniture at my house and were without the computer for a bit.

These TWENTY-EIGHT afghans take up my kitchen table that seats 6 people! There are ten afghans for newborns and 18 for the preemies. They are all bright and colorful and will be so treasured.

The year is off to a good start!

post-2886-135897622293_thumb.jpg

I need an address to send some things I am currently working on for the NICU. Also I am wondering if we have until November or December to work on these items? My son is working on the baby hats and hes so funny because every time he makes one he tries it on my nieces baby doll and oooohs and ahhhhs at it stating, "Awww look at this one mom, wont that look cute on those tiny babies" .....so this is really touching his heart to do those infant hats.

Penny

Penny, I'll PM you my address. I have always delivered the ghans the week after Thanksgiving. So, consider Thanksgiving Day as the last day to have something in my hands. However, if you send something in December, you will have just started off the 2012 drive!

How wonderful about your son - it's wonderful that he's such a compassionate child. How old is he?

Penny, I'll PM you my address. I have always delivered the ghans the week after Thanksgiving. So, consider Thanksgiving Day as the last day to have something in my hands. However, if you send something in December, you will have just started off the 2012 drive!

How wonderful about your son - it's wonderful that he's such a compassionate child. How old is he?

He is 12 :-) I do feel fortunate that he is so compassionate as well, he is one of those sensitive kind of kids. He is always thinking of someone else.

Penny:c9

Hi Penny

I just happened to see your post -- I havent joined into this area,but have been thinking about it and happened to see your request for the baby star afghan .

Here is one -- not sure if it is the one you are searching for :

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/heartfeltangels/littlestarafghan.html

I'll see if I can find a place online that gives preemie sizes for baby ghans .

Here is a site with lots of patterns for preemie ghans and some have sizes .

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html#Afghans

Hi Penny

I just happened to see your post -- I havent joined into this area,but have been thinking about it and happened to see your request for the baby star afghan .

Here is one -- not sure if it is the one you are searching for :

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/heartfeltangels/littlestarafghan.html

I'll see if I can find a place online that gives preemie sizes for baby ghans .

Here is a site with lots of patterns for preemie ghans and some have sizes .

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html#Afghans

Julie,

Thanks so much for the star afghan pattern, that looks perfect for a preemie!:c9

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I want to apologize for not getting pictures up here in the thread. I have two boxes at home waiting to be opened. However, these last few weeks, we've started some home improvements that have left the house an utter disaster area. We've rearranged furniture - bought some new furniture, painted the interior of the house and are now refinishing our kitchen cabinets.

All of this remodeling has left my house dusty and dirty. I value the work you all send me far too much to expose it to what is in the air and on the ground at my house. I hope you all understand.

As soon as we get things in order, I promise to get pictures up. Please know that it's not that I don't appreciate what you have sent, rather that I value it too much to let it be treated with anything other than reverence.

Embrace the madness and don't worry about us.

Just when you can't take one more day of remodeling, it will be done. And that will be the perfect time to open the awaiting boxes. You will be able to sit, relax, grab a cuppa and photograph the new additions. Seems like a neat way to unwind after all the hard work.

I am plugging away here. I am shooting for one a month. I don't want to commit to too much, but I think it's do-able.

I found a Dot Matthews pattern here on the 'Ville, "The Basketweave". That was a new one for me this year and it was a quick crochet. Right now I'm working on a "Classic Coverlet".

Hope everyone is enjoying their crochet. The weather has been perfect for it lately. :hook

I'll have to check out Dot's pattern - always looking for something new (even if I do always go back to my favorite RR).

Looks like the end is in sight here... even though there is still a table set up for refinishing cabinet doors, we just came back from buying drawer pulls and cabinet nobs.. so, it can't be that far off.. can it?

How wonderful this is. Although I am new to the forum I would love to contribute an afghan. I'll get started on it as soon as I can get to the store for a yarn run.

Welcome to the 'ville! I'm sure you will love it here. :hook

So I just finished my 5th blankie. I have 3 preemie edgery doo'd fleece and 2 crocheted. Started 2 more, a tunisian and a ripple using this pattern

I'm loving this stash busting for a GREAT cause!

On a side note I got an awesome coupon from Joann's for $5 off any regular priced item, I couldn't pass it up. They didn't have the Caron One Pounders on sale so I got a pound of lavendar blue yarn for $3 ... all for the babies.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a box to send but I know things are a little crazy there. Let me know a good time to get it in the mail....

Send it anytime. I'm actually getting ready to open the boxes I have. My DH finished our kitchen cabinets and painting... he needs to do our hall cabinets and he's replacing doors right now - but those are down the hall and away from where I take pictures. We got the house vaccummed and cleaned this weekend - so it's currently "afghan friendly" at the moment. If the box arrives once he's started on the cabinets (not sure when he's doing that), I"ll just keep the box closed up till he is done.

Archived