2011 - 5th Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

This is the 5th year that I am coming to all of you generous people to ask for help. In 2006, my son was born and we were suprised to discover a very rare and potentially deadly disorder. The disorder was so rare, that only 5 other people, in the entire world, had had it in the 10 years preceeding his birth.

When my son was 3 days old he was flown by helicopter to Oakland Children's Hospital where the amazing and caring staff saved his life and tended to the entire family.

My son was born in November and spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. We thought he would be there for Christmas - and if it's possible to make your life's most terrifying moment worse - the thought of him there at Christmas added to my pain. Thankfully, when Nathan was 13 days old, he came home.

The thing that got me through my darkest moments was the kindness of people I will never meet. Knowing that someone was thinking of the babies - of my son - of me - gave me strength. I would like to pass that strength onto the families of babies who are at the hospital now.

My effort is on the NICU babies since that is where my son was - however, the hospital cares for children from Extreme Preemie - to 18 years old. There is a need for anything that you might want to contribute.

I am asking for donations of afghans for the babies. The smallest baby is only slightly larger than a Barbie Doll - so anything for them should be a lighter weight yarn. The largest NICU baby is up to a year old - so, any sized afghan that you would make for a one year old baby is appropriate.

Afghans with lots of holes in them can get caught in the many wires the baby might be in.. the smaller the baby - figure more wires - so less holes.

Hats are wonderful - booties are wonderful - EVERYTHING is needed and appreciated. While most of the NICU babies are saved, some are not - if you would like to make burial gowns, I can take them too.

Any yarn is good... figure the more easily washed, the better.

If you are moved to make something for an older child - I can take that too. My mother always goes with me on delivery day, and she contributes hats and scarves for the older kids.

I can take any item from you at any time during the year. I always deliver the week after Thanksgiving, and the first items are given out by Santa on Christmas day. The rest are used throughout the year by the nurses and the hospital chaplain. Some afghans will be given to wrap babies as they pass away in their parents' arms - and then given to the parents to take home so they have a treasured memory of their baby.

I am greatful to all of you who have helped me in the years past, and who think of helping this year. In 2010, we brought 280 afghans to the NICU. That's almost enough for an entire year worth of the children that the NICU treats. I'm told they service between 300 and 400 babies in the NICU in a given year. My goal for this year's collection is 300 - I think we can do it!

So far, this year, we have collected:

Afghans: 225

Hats: 58

sweaters: 1

Hair doo dads - 23

Booties - 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not get a chance last year with life getting in the way, but I will be happy to send a few to you this year and I hope you do make reach the 300++++ mark. Thank you for doing this and making a little one know that they are wrapped in love while getting better and stronger to go home.

I just added up what the donations have totaled for the last 4 years. So far, 637 afghans have been brought to the NICU. If we make it to 363 this year, that would make our total donations for all 5 years 1000 afghans!

That's alot - but maybe we can get close!

Would any amigurum animals be of any use? Maybe for older children? My daughter loves all the stuffies I make for her so maybe a little one would too?

Absolutely! If they can't use it in the NICU (and as long as the eyes are safe, I bet they can use it there), they can certainly use it in the rest of the hospital with the children over 1 up to 18!

Absolutely! If they can't use it in the NICU (and as long as the eyes are safe, I bet they can use it there), they can certainly use it in the rest of the hospital with the children over 1 up to 18!

Awesome! I will definitly have some for you soon!

Pam - I'll look back through my previous threads. The first year was small - I didn't start the post till September that year- so maybe not the first year - but every year since!

I'm trying to look too. I only got to March of 2007 and haven't seen anything yet.

Count me in again this year, I already have two made

Thanks! You all have me beat. I lost my mojo after delivering the afghans in November. I haven't picked up my hook since. However, I bought yarn yesterday - so, I better get a move on!

I'm back too. Will seal up the box by the weekend and get it in the mail (ends to weave in). Took a break and worked on some knitting projects but they are much too slow with fine yarn and small needles.

Pam, your first post I found was July 24, 2008. So, that means you have contributed to 3 years and this is your 4th!

:cheer:clap:c9

Thanks for finding that Kathryn.

I'm looking forward to making blankets for this project!

Archived