Let it Snow 2011 (Snowflake CAL and Share)

jrnylst

Do you all make the same snowflake each week? Or do you make whatever strikes your individual fancy?

I am just now starting to work with thread and I know my family and friends would love to have some snowflakes come Christmas ;)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these are not blocked properly i will do that when i stiffen all flakes in november but i want to show you all a photo of the 3 flakes i have made so far this year

[attach]33047[/attach]

post-2845-135897614819_thumb.jpg

Thank You Ladies! I think I might block sooner than expected. I've weaved the ends a few stitches but don't want to cut until I'm ready to block so the glue will hold it better. I think I'll wait and post future pics in groups so maybe once a month or something that way I don't bog down the thread... :loco

bigfunfam...jrnylst makes flakes every Monday for us to use (bless her!) but you can make any pattern you choose.

debsydoo...fantastic! :cheer

Thank You! And it will be your snowflakes I will be starting with...:clap

One more question before I jump in... when you open the HUGE ball of thread, do you start with the outside end? With yarn you pull from the middle but I'm thinking with thread it's the opposite. And does it stay on the ball good or will I have a mess once the plastic is removed? :think

sorry that was 2 questions...:loco

You've probably figured this out by now since you've already finished a beautiful flake, but you start from the outside with thread. It's so tightly wound, I don't think it would come out of the inside without a fight.

I haven't had a problem with cotton thread coming off the spool, but bamboo or rayon, holy moly!!! I keep the spool I'm working from in a bag with a single button closure, and I keep the bag closed (has openings on both sides of the button). The strand comes out, and the spool rolls and unwinds but doesn't jump out of the bag the way yarn balls sometimes do.

weave in end when there is so much open work?

I don't cut off the ends of mostly chain snowflakes until after they are stiffened. I do try to weave the ends through a chain or two if I can do it invisibly. I just try to make sure it is buried enough that it won't stick out once I do cut it. Once you stiffen a snowflake, the end won't come loose if you cut close to the knot. At least I've never had that problem.

these are not blocked properly i will do that when i stiffen all flakes in november but i want to show you all a photo of the 3 flakes i have made so far this year

[attach]33047[/attach]

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

I don't cut off the ends of mostly chain snowflakes until after they are stiffened. I do try to weave the ends through a chain or two if I can do it invisibly. I just try to make sure it is buried enough that it won't stick out once I do cut it. Once you stiffen a snowflake, the end won't come loose if you cut close to the knot. At least I've never had that problem.

ahh - so you don't try to weave in like with a yarn project (just maybe through a few chains). Cut close to the knot after stiffening. I'm happy to hear this, means I don't have to do anything until then. Yay! I hate weaving in ends.

Snowcatcher - on your blog I also made "Another Snowflake" and I was confused on joining. Understood end of round 2 (sl st in sc of final sl st of round 1).

End of round 3 and round 4 - sl st in final sl st of round 2, same for end of round 4 - sl st in final sl st of round 3.

sl st in sl st? Do you mean I'm actually doing sl st in the same place as I did for round 2?

I'm new at making snowflakes, as you can tell.

Snowcatcher - on your blog I also made "Another Snowflake" and I was confused on joining. Understood end of round 2 (sl st in sc of final sl st of round 1).

End of round 3 and round 4 - sl st in final sl st of round 2, same for end of round 4 - sl st in final sl st of round 3.

sl st in sl st? Do you mean I'm actually doing sl st in the same place as I did for round 2?

I'm new at making snowflakes, as you can tell.

Hi, Bailey! I hope you enjoy making snowflakes!

I apologize for my daftness, but I need to know which snowflake. I don't know which one, and I can't tell by the name or the lines of the pattern you've quoted. But I'll try to help if I know which flake you're referring to.

Hi, Bailey! I hope you enjoy making snowflakes!

I apologize for my daftness, but I need to know which snowflake. I don't know which one, and I can't tell by the name or the lines of the pattern you've quoted. But I'll try to help if I know which flake you're referring to.

oh sorry, I guess I'm the one, not you, who named it Another Snowflake!

It is:

30 August 2010 Petite Snowflake

oh sorry, I guess I'm the one, not you, who named it Another Snowflake!

It is:

30 August 2010 Petite Snowflake

Hi again, Bailey. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I don't always have access to the forum.

I just read over the pattern, and I think it's correct as written. I know it sounds wierd, but you are slip stitching into the slip stitches of the previous rounds.

And welcome to "flaking," as it was coined by another reader this week. I hope you enjoy it enough to hang out and share photos!

I've been messing around with thread for a few weeks now, so tomorrow I'm off to get smaller thread and have a go at some snow flakes:cheer

Welcome! Glad to have you!

Hi again, Bailey. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I don't always have access to the forum.

I just read over the pattern, and I think it's correct as written. I know it sounds wierd, but you are slip stitching into the slip stitches of the previous rounds.

And welcome to "flaking," as it was coined by another reader this week. I hope you enjoy it enough to hang out and share photos!

oh I didn't mean I thought the pattern was incorrect. I meant I (being a newbie) wasn't sure what you meant - do you mean go into the same "hole" as the previous round ss - or do you mean I ss under the top threads of the previous round ss.

I'm sorry for being so dense. I'll get better at reading snowflake patterns, I promise.

oh I didn't mean I thought the pattern was incorrect. I meant I (being a newbie) wasn't sure what you meant - do you mean go into the same "hole" as the previous round ss - or do you mean I ss under the top threads of the previous round ss.

I'm sorry for being so dense. I'll get better at reading snowflake patterns, I promise.

No worries! I do make mistakes, unfortunately, and I am oh, so grateful when anyone points them out for me! By the time I finish a flake, I've done most steps 12-18 times, so my brain has them memorized, even if my eyes don't see the right instructions! I am thankful for all my snowflake-loving proofreaders!!!

I will try to get a picture today to show you the sl st on the pattern you are asking about. I go into the middle of the sl st to try to make it as invisible as possible, but you probably could do it either way you have said and get the same results.

That is so pretty! I made a different one for this week. How do you think that would turn out with regular thread? I think I'll print that off and use it for next week :)

Thank you so much! You are amazing, designing a new one every week. I'm doing good just to get one made, lol.

I made it in thread today while listening to reading lessons because I just couldn't resist, lol. It comes out so tiny and cute!

What size hook and yarn did you use? And how big is it point to point? :)

jrnylst they look great! Love the clear one best! :cheer

Archived