How Many WIPs Do You Have Going???

Hi all:hi,

Okay, I've got to ask. I know many people are excellent multi-taskers--heck, contemporary life just wouldn't work if we weren't. But lately, I've been wondering if I have a bad case of CADD (Crochet ADD). There's nothing like the feeling of weaving in that last end (except maybe finally watching your gift-recipient use/put it on, or wearing it yourself for the first time). But lately, I find the rush of STARTING a project just as exhilarating.

Well, as a result of my need to feed my New Project addiction, I seem to have more WIPs (Works in Progress) than FOs lately (what DOES the "O" in "FO" stand for, "object"????). Just as I get "this close" to finishing a project, I find myself starting a new one.

When I first started to crochet and when I returned to it when my twins got older, I usually didn't start a new project 'til I finished the one I was working on. Rarely did I have more than two going at once. I don't even want to admit how many WIPs I have going now. I don't have NFP (Never Finishing Project) syndrome--at least not yet :) (I do eventually finish them). But I'm wondering what the "average" number of WIPs is for C-villagers, or if I need an intervention :worried.

--Lee

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three on the go.

I have an afghan that I'm amking for my sister and it's the first really big project I've ever made so I'm resigned to the fact that I won't be able to work on it constantly until it's finished.

I also have 2 pairs of handwarmers (see my blog for a pic) that I'm making for a friend and my mum.

Neither of these projects are particularly interesting but I'm refusing to do anything else until I'm finished them or I'll never get them done ;)

I used to sew and I have bags and bags of patterns and fabric. I'm trying not to have the same thing happen with yarn, but I've only been crocheting for 6 months this time around so it could still happen :blush

Dare I say "none"? *ducks rotten tomatoes* I HAVE been crocheting (just posted three doily pics in finished thread items forum) but with a big crochet website and its knitting sister, I don't have time to crochet ALL the time. I'm on the computer a lot for business (both websites and work) a lot of the time. (Carpal tunnel here I come? :think)

At present I have about 10 due to getting a couple of large orders for hats, scarves, etc. I usually have in the neighborhood of 5 going. That is just for the crocheting and knitting. Then there is the unfinished xstitch and other projects. Then, I also do decorated envelopes and that is an ongoing ufo. Guess I really have enough to keep me busy for the rest of a lifetime without ever going to the store again but who can resist another new project LOL:lol :hook:yay

I think I lost count :help

I have to admit I too have lost count!! Are you sure we can ask each other how many wips we have lol!!! The more I visit here(and its practically morning , noon and evening) I find the need to start a new project!

Yesterday when I looking for the one motif that I had completed when I signed for the ThreadCal, I found a couple of doilies in near stage of completion and one of them my own creation:eek!!!! So I have brought them down to my bedroom in the hopes that I would complete them and post a note under the UFO cal!!!

I also get high when I am leafing through the magic crochets and decorative crochets and start planning on what i could make next!!!!

I think there is no hope for me :devil

So what i am trying to say here is no way am I admitting to how many wips I have ....

hugs

Vims:yay

edited to say I didn't find that one floral piece I was looking for!!

I have three baby blankets in progress, two shell patterns and one teddy bear pattern, two full size afaghans, 4 dollies and a hand full of dollies that need to have the string weaved in. :hook When I am making several small dollies or snow flakes, I wait till I have 5 or more and then sit at night and watch TV with my hubby and weave in the threads.:hug

Plus.....8 pages of Christmas to finish scrapbooking and I need to make a couple of birthday cards.

I'm in deep - as I was starting our packing of our old house to complete the mass exodus by Wednesday (YIKES) I came across not 1 but 2 really pretty aran afghans. Hmmm.....Not sure who they were intended for but they need to be added to the list.

I've lost count. These are all projects for me. If they were for someone else, they would have been done long ago.

1. Sylvia Cosh Sweater

2. Guardian Angel Afghan

3. 11 color shrug based on Mrs. Who's schematics

4. Doily for the doily swap.

5. Scarf hanger (with clothes hanger base)

6. Frog bookmark

7. Dragonfly fridgie/magnet/pin

Somehow I think there are more but my mind is on finishing this doily today!

I have four currently...never had this before. Usually it's do a project; finish it; block it; then to the next.

I'm working on a queen size bedspread. I've set a minimum # of squares to do each week in order to at least have the squares complete in 2 yrs....why oh why did I ever think I could do this!!

I'm working on a doily during lunch hours at work. It's suppose to be about 38 inches if worked in #10 thread with the needle they recommend. That's too big for me, so I'm doing it in #20 with a #13 (may be #12) hook. It's looking good so far.

Have an unusual patter from a 1950's book that I've admired for years. Decided to try it (it's in #30 thread). I've frogged it so many times...but I'm determined to finish it...just needed to lay it down to clear my head.

Almost finished with the Dahlia doily that's out there free. Found a minor error in it last night that to correct would require frogging about half the doily...I'm down to the last 3 rounds. I decided I'll continue on, block it and then see how it looks. I was so disheartened when I realized what I had done but couldn't get myself to the point of frogging it all out and starting over!! Never done this before! May be getting too OLD to do this!!

Honestly? I don't know. When I just made a list of the projects I can think of off hand there are 10. I've been trying to focus on finishing them before starting something new because I really don't want a double digit number for my WIPs - lol! It's hard though, I keep seeing new things I want to try! :)

I only have one, the 63 Squares Afghan. Occasionally, I will do another small project (like a hook case) if I am positive that I can finish it in a day or two. I do have a couple of big projects in the queue, waiting to be started, but I have promised myself to work on one item at a time until it is completed.

Enough that I've committed to myself that I will not work on anything else until I finish (1) the housewarming afghan for my friend and (2) a baby afghan that's currently at the 75% stage; then (3) my daughter's bedjacket (currently about 60%); THEN as a reward I can start a new project. Or maybe I'll be feeling flush with victory and will decide to finish one of the um, *mumble*around6or7orso*mumble* WIPs that will still be hanging around. HAHAHA yeah right. I have baaaaad crochet ADD, but if I keep it in check it keeps me from getting deadly bored with a project and totally abandoning it.

I have three right now, four if you count the one I am working on. I have a filet christmas runner ( two thirds done) , a prayer shawl ( almost finished just need to do a few more rows and the fringe, which I hate to do) , a green afghan ( too hot right now, but it is two thirds done as well, and currently a rose lapghan which is half done. I just found out my friend's daughter is pregnant so I will be starting a layette for her soon to be child as well as work on snowflakes for all my relatives and co-workers!

Wendyb532

Ummmm......too many to count? :blush I really have no idea; there are at least 5 just in my living room "crochet chest," plus my poor neglected Cathedral Window afghan, plus a couple of doilies, plus two or three sweaters and a few things I have no idea what they're going to be when finished! That's not counting the ones that have been stuffed on the shelves and may never again see a crochet hook!!!! :blush

All in all, I'd wager a guess around 25-30 WIPs and UFOs. :2eek

I only have one, the 63 Squares Afghan. Occasionally, I will do another small project (like a hook case) if I am positive that I can finish it in a day or two.

That's how most of my WIPs became WIPs :heehee. I had an afghan going and in the beginning, started only small projects I could finish in a day or two, such as book thongs, scarves, etc. Then those "other quickie projects" became a little bigger, like a pillow or poncho, and soon the "quickies" just seemed to multiply and grow like rabbits :rabbit. I finished the afghan that spawned the WIPs (and then many of the WIPs), but before I knew it, my WIPs had taken over my crochet corner, which then needed to be relocated to a closet. I've promised myself not to start another afghan until my WIPs are under control, but the cooler weather (and more hectic schedule, i.e. less crochet time :cry) is just around the corner ( :eek nooooooo, I want more summer!!!), and I've got to get started on the afghans I promised my son and husband. I'm afraid that if I start an afghan now, the WIPs will take over :help.

Is there such a thing as an Afghan-WIP cycle???? :spin

--Lee

PS. I'm relieved that with 10 WIPs I'm not alone out here :).

PS. I'm relieved that with 10 WIPs I'm not alone out here :).

Me too! :lol I really, really want to get some of mine finished though - I feel guilty (and I probably should ;)) every time I start something new!

Ummmm......too many to count? :blush I really have no idea; there are at least 5 just in my living room "crochet chest," plus my poor neglected Cathedral Window afghan, plus a couple of doilies, plus two or three sweaters and a few things I have no idea what they're going to be when finished! That's not counting the ones that have been stuffed on the shelves and may never again see a crochet hook!!!! :blush

All in all, I'd wager a guess around 25-30 WIPs and UFOs. :2eek

Thank you, thank you! (and to all who are sharing) I'm feeling much better now. :whewI was thinking that I need to admit that I'm powerless over my WIP problem, and turn it over to my Higher Power.

I am always wanting to start a new one but I try to keep WIP to about 5. Right now I have 3 or 4 going. An afghan, a bag & a surprise for my secret sistah. The bag should have been an FO by now but I just don't care for the stitch very much. It is switching from sc to dc one after another, turn & then do it in reverse (dc,sc). It drives me batty lol.

Archived