Great Dane Sweater patterns?

zeropixie

Question

We have a Great Dane that could use some sweaters this winter. Has anyone ever made one for a dog this big? All the patterns I have found only go up to a large, you know for a Lab or similar no way can a Dane wear something that small. I have tried using a sweatshirt but it just does not work. Any help would be useful. :) :) Thanks.

22 answers to this question

I worked out a pattern for a very tiny chihuahua last year that is ultimately able to be made as large as you would want it for any dog. I don't have the pattern written down as far as different sizes but I'd be happy to share it with anyone that is interested :) It's actually adjustable as well so would fit a size range most likely :)

OK, if we are posting pics of our Great Danes then I have to chime in. Not a good pic of his face, but it shows how big he is....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeres Buddy!

buddy.jpg

(yes the counter is at standard height)

that is too funny about your Evy! my little ones stick their fingers in josh (the dog)'s nose too!:think perfect size for their little fingers, i guess :lol

OH, the TAILS!! that thing is a lethal weapon!! my 3 year old has learned to walk by josh with his hands covering his face :lol:lol:lol

awww, your maggie sounds like a sweetie - and at 28 inches - how cute! i just measured my josh, he is 38" from floor to shoulder:P

Thanks for all the sugestions, I really like the idea for a granny square coat that would be alot easier.

I can agree that Danes are very patient. When my daughter Evy started crawling to dog never bothered her and then when she started walking the dog went out of her way not to knock her over although we had to be careful of than darn tail (should be called a whip) The dog is sooo sweet she would be sleeping and my Evy would toddle over and start playing with her ears and lips, lifting her eyelids and sticking her fingers in the dogs nose Maggie (the dog) would just lay there after awhile she would get up and move. She also has a blanket and a pillow that she insists on taking everywere with her, how are people supposed to take her guard dog duties seriously when she's standing at the edge of the lawn with a blaket in her mouth :lol The only negitave that I have is her size, in a small kitchen it can seem like there are three toddlers under foot :) Maggie is a runt too she is only 28 inches tall at her shoulders and about 125 pounds, I don't know how y'all with bigger ones do it.

Thanks again.

I totally agree with Rebecca on the patience of Danes. Our Leo grew up with my son, they were just two months apart in age (though they didn't meet till they were each just over a year old) and Leo was SUPER patient with B. He let B ride him, they'd lay on the bed together and B would use Leo as a body pillow or just lean back on him (picture a big black Dane laying where pillows should be and a two yr old using him as a pillow rofl) and not only was he gentle and patient with B, but for such a huge dog, he never once knocked things over in the house (a 2 br mobile home, single wide no less and we had two Danes, a Boxer and a Dalmation in there) or broke anything. Neither of the Danes did (the other was an old guy, but just as sweet an patient with B) it was the other two dogs who knocked things around and broke stuff and who were less than gentle with B.

elizabeth is SOO right! (i just love her cuppy!) for anyone considering a dane baby and questioning their patience and gentleness.....

patience.jpg

look at my baby:manyheart putting up with our catten (not quite a cat, but no longer a kitten) attacking his happy tail:P

i'll be back with measurements of him

You could make a sweater out of granny squares and just keep making enough until you get it to the right size. You can see here how I made one for my bratty little girl, Kaylee:

kaylee018.jpg

(Hey, Drew, you want measurements for a Chinese shar pei, and English coonhound, and a chow-German shepherd mix? :) In all seriousness, my pei and coonhound do need to wear sweaters, and pei are differently shaped than most dogs.)

Everybody else's babies are so cute! I love danes. Indy met one on a walk once, and I'm pretty sure he didn't believe me it was a dog. :)

i am sure Rebecca will agree.. they are wondderful dogs and great pets.. especially with kids.. and other animals.. i was hesistant at first for getting such a big dog but i dont have one bit of regret about it . Cupcake is a runt .. not saying he is a small dog but he only weighs about 120.. and that is small for a dane.. he is an old man .. 7 and a half.. i love him very much !

Oh man he is goregous too.....you know you ladies make me want another baby.

They all three look so content! Bravo Moms! Drat, I must fight this urge. :(

Oh man, Rebecca he is gorgeous! I miss my great dane....I hope to adopt another one day! But with 12 doggies already, well you get the pic!

i also have a dane :manyheart and plan to do some polar fleece stuff for him this winter. for the same reasons as elizabeth - it's lightweight and warm... also somewhat water resistant and washes/dries easily in my machine

my baby is the biggest wimp when the weather gets chilly - he has a blanket that he lays under and will drag his bed to the fireplace :lol

DSC01101.jpg

here he is last winter... he's grown by about 80 pounds since this was taken:eek

I have sort of a silly suggestion, BUT why not buy a pattern (sewing) and use it as a template. Cut it out and crochet according to its shape, LAy it on ur template often to assure the right shaping.

They do have great dane sizes in sewing. And Joanns will have a sale Aug 27th for 99 cents each.

Sorry not of more help! Good luck!:)

Archived