12 inch Square of the Month CAL 2011

twinklesnow

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://smoothfoxlover.blogspot.com/2010/10/smoothfoxs-diagonal-sitch-box-square.html

It's right here. Later today I am going to be working on the decreasing rows... Im having a little difficulty figuring it out, cause the directions dont make much sence but I am going try it anywho... Im not sure the actual size but Im adding extra rows to make it 12 inches.

I just finished a lapghan with that corner to corner pattern a few weeks ago. I made it with RH Peruvian print, because I had always wanted to try the yarn, but I didn't like the way it turned out. It's way to stripey for my taste. It would have been better with wider black bands, but I was determined to use up ALL the striped yarn so it wouldn't be hanging around in the stash. I'll send it on to the hospice in the next group and maybe someone will like it, but it doesn't seem a very nice thing to do to people who are already very sick. I'm not sure this will help - LOL.

I'll make some squares each month, but I won't really shine at this until the summer. I tend to make one piece afghans during the winter. I don't want to pay for A/C and then sit with an afghan on my lap! I'm going to try the mum pattern soon, but I need to set my printer up before I can print out the pattern.

post-39480-135897609668_thumb.jpg

i think that is QUITE lovely. im sure someone in hospice will also. sorry you did all the work for it not to be to yours. maybe you can do another one and it will be :)

sandy

I just finished a lapghan with that corner to corner pattern a few weeks ago. I made it with RH Peruvian print, because I had always wanted to try the yarn, but I didn't like the way it turned out. It's way to stripey for my taste. It would have been better with wider black bands, but I was determined to use up ALL the striped yarn so it wouldn't be hanging around in the stash. I'll send it on to the hospice in the next group and maybe someone will like it, but it doesn't seem a very nice thing to do to people who are already very sick. I'm not sure this will help - LOL.

I'll make some squares each month, but I won't really shine at this until the summer. I tend to make one piece afghans during the winter. I don't want to pay for A/C and then sit with an afghan on my lap! I'm going to try the mum pattern soon, but I need to set my printer up before I can print out the pattern.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, it's better in person than in this photo, but just not my cup of tea. I like that pattern though, and I will soon be starting another with RH Aspen print and Caron One Pound Off White and Lace. I saw a photo of one done with those colors somewhere and it was really nice.

I've decided to do my 12" squares in One Pound Jonquil that I think is one of the prettiest yellows around. I may border them in white or lavender. I went through patterns and found I already have the mum square pattern downloaded. So I'll try it out soon.

How in the world did I miss this thread? :think I am SO in on this one! I love doing different squares and then putting it all together to see how beautiful it turns out! Will you post a border or will that be up to each individual?

Can't wait to get started on my 2 squares! :cheer Also, when will you post the January's squares? The beginning of the month?

Oh this is gonna be fun!

OK, so I am working on that first square, Bright and Cheery, and I am on round 7 and it just isn't working for me. :no The instructions read to [*dc in next 2 dc, (cross st in cross st, ch 1) 5 times, cross st in next cross st, dc in next 2 dc* etc.

The highlighted portion is my current problem. From round 6, I only have 4 cross stitches. How can I now cross stitch in five cross stitches plus one (for a total of six)??? :shrug

Also, it then says to dc in next 2 dc and I have 3 dc from round 6 before the trc. :think

Can anyone help???

I started the mum square yesterday and like it. I have about three rounds to go. I got distracted doing other things and never got back to it. I need to shift some furniture around today and after that I'm sure I'll want to sit down and I can finish it up. I haven't measured but it looks like it's going to be larger than 12 inches with the hook and yarn I'm using, but that's ok. Up to 14" will work for the projects I do.

Christie, I haven't tried the other one yet, so I can't help you out there.

OK, so I am working on that first square, Bright and Cheery, and I am on round 7 and it just isn't working for me. :no The instructions read to [*dc in next 2 dc, (cross st in cross st, ch 1) 5 times, cross st in next cross st, dc in next 2 dc* etc.

The highlighted portion is my current problem. From round 6, I only have 4 cross stitches. How can I now cross stitch in five cross stitches plus one (for a total of six)??? :shrug

Also, it then says to dc in next 2 dc and I have 3 dc from round 6 before the trc. :think

Can anyone help???

When I did it I only had 4 as well. I actually think the pattern has some major boo-boo's in it. I just did the 4 and kinda winged a couple things. Definitely NOT a well written pattern.

Ok...finished my squares a bit ago. Here are the pictures...think I'm doing all of them in white. I got a new tote bag for Christmas (kitties on it :)) and think this is what I will keep this project in.

Let me just say...I loved the Mum square but the second one has some mistakes in it and I ended up just winging it! Oh and on the Mum square I had to add another round to get 12".

post-11313-135897609908_thumb.jpg

post-11313-135897609912_thumb.jpg

Deb, those look great! It was a little hard to see what the pattern really looked like in the variegated sample.

Thanks for the info on the second square. Now I'll be prepared for some creative pattern modification. I haven't gotten any crocheting done today. I've been busy with this and that, but maybe later tonight before bed.

I'm thinking I may use the mum pattern with just one or two other patterns for the yellow lapghan. I'll probably do the other one in white. For a long time I've wanted to make a lapghan with white and lavender or orchid. This would be a good opportunity. So I'll be putting these squares toward different projects.

Oh goody, more players!

I'm glad you posted Krafty, I'm only on about round 4 or 5, the game came on I had to stop. Now I'll know to wing round 7.

I learned the box stitch yesterday and made a snuggle from it. Yay more snuggles!

So are you ladies using scrap yarn for this and hoping that it will turn out pretty in the end? Or are you coordinating your colors to start with. Also, are we supposed to make both squares or just one?

I want to start but I really want the colors to blend nicely so I'm debating whether or not I should try to pick my colors out and buy them. Why is it that the scrap in my stash seem to all clash with each other???

So are you ladies using scrap yarn for this and hoping that it will turn out pretty in the end? Or are you coordinating your colors to start with. Also, are we supposed to make both squares or just one?

I want to start but I really want the colors to blend nicely so I'm debating whether or not I should try to pick my colors out and buy them. Why is it that the scrap in my stash seem to all clash with each other???

:lolI thought it was just my scraps that clashed! I've two bags full of scraps that I hardly ever use because of that very reason.

I am just doing mine in all white. Not sure who it will go to and I figured with white it will match anyones decor! :devil

Archived