Weave ends as you go?

Faithy

Question

Ok so I am starting a granny square afghan and I have been reading lots of posts saying how annoying weaving all the ends in at the end is. SOOO can i just do them as I go?

18 answers to this question

I'll weave as I go if it's a large project. For a 4 round square I would just do it at the end. If you're doing a solid piece ghan then I'll work about 6-8 inches and then weave all the ends to that point instead of saving them all for the end.

It's an awful feeling to finally finish a huge project and then you turn it over and still have hours of work to complete it.

Leaving a really long tail on the last round is great for sewing the squares together later.

I'm going to try leaving the last one really long like you guys have suggested. It sounds like an excellent idea, I'll let you know how it goes.

For granny squares, I weave as I go. For most other things, I don't.

I've also had to undo things that were already woven, and wound up cutting the yarn in several places because I'm so good at weaving! :lol

One method I like to use if I'm not joining as I go, is to leave the last string long - very long. And then when I join the squares I use that end string on each square to do the joining. I'm NOT a fan of the whip stitch unless I'm using that method. I don't like pulling really long pieces of yarn through each stitch and then getting close to the end and realizing I'm still short for that row. :P If I leave a good long tail on each motif, I can join a little at a time. Same amount of weaving in the ends - the tail would've had to be woven in, anyway. Of course that really only works if you're using a common color for the last round of squares and didn't want your join to be a contrasting color.

Have fun! :2snowman

every time I start a project I intend on weaving everything in as I go.....

it never happens. lol

then when its done, I end up getting grumpy at all the ends and just put it away. then months later I'll go back, weave it all in and pass it along to whoever it was for.

Me too...I HATE weaving ends in, so I tend to put it off. I'm working on a very large afghan with many color changes, and I have so many stinking ends to weave in! Probably not the best thing to do for someone like me!

every time I start a project I intend on weaving everything in as I go.....

it never happens. lol

then when its done, I end up getting grumpy at all the ends and just put it away. then months later I'll go back, weave it all in and pass it along to whoever it was for.

I never, ever weave in ends as I go. It doesn't really bother me all that much to weave them in at the end, because at that point, it's all I have to do before being done. In fact, I am working on a granny square afghan right now, each square with a different color each row. Lots and lots of ends. I guess it depends on the person, but you certainly can weave them in as you go or when you're done. :)

Those are very pretty squares. I also usually weave as I go, but if I'm using scrapes and I'm not sure if I'll have enough of the color I want to join (or how I'm going to join), I'll leave a long tail on the last round to use to sew them together.

Another vote for it - just be sure the pattern and colors are as you want them. It's much harder undo when the ends are already woven. This is the voice of experience. But definitely as-you-go is best way.

Having had that same experience, I agree with this! if there is a possibility you may need to rip back, don't weave in.

So far I am weaving as I go. Here are the 2 squares I did today. I think I will add some more black to the edge of the one with the thin edge.

post-44424-135897608832_thumb.jpg

post-44424-135897608837_thumb.jpg

Another vote for it - just be sure the pattern and colors are as you want them. It's much harder undo when the ends are already woven. This is the voice of experience. But definitely as-you-go is best way.

Edited to add: I also leave an extra long tail on the last round - the length of two side + some - and use that for sewing them together. That way one end is already attached and there only the ending to weave in after the sqaures are joined.

When I work with granny squares, I always weave them as I go. I did one afghan where I didn't and it was very tiresome to finish. ... Best wishes with your project! :)

Archived