Dry Hands?

Faithy

Do your hands get dry from the yarn or is it just me? If so what do you do about it? I put lotion on but then I wonder if it will come off on the yarn, or if it is bad for the yarn. What do you all think?

I have terribly dry skin to start with, and my two favorite hobbies, crochet and reading, do dry my fingers out even more. Shea butter or another moisturizer that really soaks in to the skin is the best to use when crocheting. While some purists would say your hands should be bare, I figure I'm going to wash the items I make with acrylic yarn anyway; and wool had lanolin from nature, so it's better to have happy hands then ones that ache from dryness.

winter is always a bad time of year for dry skin for me, and using wood to heat doesn't help as that dries out the air. The turtle tank helps put some moisture back in the air since I have to put water in it all the time :D

I use hand lotion that soaks in pretty fast

Hi:)

I use a hand lotion that soaks in fast and does not come off

My hands get very dry from crocheting and the winter adds to it..you can find several lotions at the store that say quick absorbs..non greasy

I had the same problem with the dry hands, but we got a vaporizer, house gets really dry this time of year, and we have a newborn baby and that helps with his breathing so no more dry hands, and breathing issue for all of us really is better

I have on very dry hand...the one that holds the yarn. I went to my friend's Arbonne party. It is a home skincare line that is all natural. I tried the FC5 hand lotion...Amazing it soaks right in smells delightful and works. Oh yeah and it doesnt affect the yarn at all becasue it is all natural and no petroleum. I tend to get skin so dry that it cracks and bleeds this stuff heals it up in a few applications. It costs about $8 a bottle but lasts forever..I got a 2 ounce sample tube that lasted about three months.

I was using some almond milk lotion from avon, but that is the one I could smell on the yarn later so I got some Yes to Carrots hand and elbow cream from Walgreen's and that seems to absorb faster and help my hands longer.

I used to use Udder Cream as well, it lasts forever and is great for your feet and hands a night, not sure why I stopped using it, lol

So for the rest of you, what lotion are you using now??

I got some "Gloves in a Bottle" stuff while on a local yarn hop a couple months ago. It seemed to really help (because yeah, my hands get horribly dry, especially when I'm working with wool) without rubbing off onto the yarn!

I am using Glycerin as a moisturuzer when I get out of the shower and it works wonders. I have heard a 50/50 mix ( water glycerin) in a spray bottle is wonderful. I am going to give this a try.

I have heard of the gloves in a bottle, and my grandma used to use it for lots of stuff. I may have to try to get some of that!

The Avon silicone glove was a lifesaver when my brother was a messy little kid, um decades ago. He had just started to self-feed and always got spaghetti sauce from his fingers up to his shoulders, and into his hair. The acid in the tomato sauce made him break out until mom started to slather him in the cream first.

I've got severe psoriasis on my hands (cracked and bleeding from finger tips to wrists).

I had a reaction to Avon Silicone (which sucks because I sell it), so now I use Watkins Petro Carbo Salve. its the only thing that doesn't burn and make it worse.

I also wear cotton gloves about 90%of the time.

The Avon silicone glove was a lifesaver when my brother was a messy little kid, um decades ago. He had just started to self-feed and always got spaghetti sauce from his fingers up to his shoulders, and into his hair. The acid in the tomato sauce made him break out until mom started to slather him in the cream first.

Thats an awesome use!!

LOVE that stuff been using it for 9 years. My daughter cant though she had a reaction to it. Both my kids have very sensitive skin. My face is lol certain make ups and other things will break mine out.

FUNNY thing is with my face i can use oil of olay *been using it since i was 14* but the make up from oil of olay with the ribbon of moisturizer through it "burned" my face.

Its weird the reactions we have to some stuff lol

My hands are constantly dry and cracking (whether I've been crocheting or not) and I can't seem to find one lotion that just heals everything! (I guess I'm kind of looking for a magic remedy). Gold Bond Ultimate lotion seems to work the best for me, but I have to reapply pretty frequently just because my hands are THAT dry.

Edit: I wanted to add that a co-worker bought me a Burts Bees hand repair kit and in it was a jar of almond milk beeswax hand creme, and it is AMAZING! I didn't know my hands were capable of being this soft!

• 2 weeks later...

I use country apple bath and body works cream (not the regular lotion) I love the scent so I don't mind it if makes the yarn smell and I've never noticed any bad effects to the yarn from using it. Now that its discontinued and I'm almost out of my last bottle I have to find something else. I'm going to check around for udder cream though I have heard of it before just never used it.

Hand lotion with Aloe is the best. Also If you cover your hands with lotion and put white gloves on when sleeping your hands are brand new in the morning. (works on feet too) I see someone wrote about "Avon" products, I want to add "Mary Kay" has whats called Satin Hands.

Archived