papersmiles

Geez, I recognize that

It's a Christmas miracle. The doily wanted to be back with you so it jumped into a box to be donated to a store it knew you shopped.

Now it's home where it belongs, so maybe it wasn't the owner who didn't like the doily, it was the doily who didn't like the owner.

:lol Now THAT is a wonderful thought!!!!!!

Once I found a lot of doilies in a yard sale, because an elderly lady died and the family was selling the house. It's sad to think that they didn't want a memento of granny, something to pass down :(. My mom has doilies from her grandmother, which I hope to inherit some day.

Ellie 13

It could have been at Goodwill because it just didn't fit the recipient's decorating scheme. Not everyone wants to decorate with hand crocheted lace, no matter how beautiful they may even think it is. Perhaps she was hoping it would find a good home where it would be well-appreciated. I would not read too much into finding it there. In the meantime, you got something back which you obviously like very much, papersmiles. (Even if you had to pay for it twice. ;)) Enjoy it.

Edited by HomekeepingGran

It's a Christmas miracle. The doily wanted to be back with you so it jumped into a box to be donated to a store it knew you shopped.

Now it's home where it belongs, so maybe it wasn't the owner who didn't like the doily, it was the doily who didn't like the owner.

The doily is now where it is loved and appreciated.

I think it's wonderful that it wound up in a thrift store. Let me tell you, when you finally find something you've been looking for for years or that special hand-crocheted ornament that someone else didn't want, you treasure it and send a silent thank you to whoever was kind enough to give it a second chance.

It should be celebrated that someone who WILL appreciate it and all the work that went into it can be the final owner instead.

I would have loved to find that doily at a thrift store. It would have been a find that I would have cherished.

I agree with Carla. I think thread embroidery is beautiful and I almost gasp when I see some of the gorgeous pieces posted here. That said, they would not fit in my house at all, which I would probably have to describe a mildly Star Trekky bohemian. I don't decorate for Christmas now, but when I did, I loved my tree - it was all silver balls and white lights. My friends called it "austere"- LOL. I thought it was perfect. A crocheted ornament, however beautiful, would have looked like it fell on the tree from an alternate universe.

I know how much work goes into handmade items, but after a life of crocheting, I don't have a single crocheted piece in the house, unless it's just waiting to go somewhere else. I prefer a quilt on the bed, have a lap quilt I use in the recliner, don't wear crocheted items, and don't decorate with them -- or anything else really. Sometimes when I especially like a lapghan I've made, I think of keeping it, but ask myself why I need it and what I would do with it. It always moves on. I only crochet for charity. I love crocheting, but the pleasure is completely in the making.

Sometimes I am given decorative things, and I really do appreciate them and the thoughtfulness of the person giving it to me, but I also usually wonder "Whatever will I do with this?" I think it was wonderful that the person didn't just toss it, but took the trouble to make it available to someone else if, for whatever reason, they could not use it themselves.

On the other hand, I understand too, that it is disconcerting to find our handwork, and apparently our thoughtfulness, disregarded.

Sorry to hear that it wound up in a thrift store...but so glad it at least made its way back to you. It's so sad when people fail to realize the time that goes into a handmade item.

Now that makes me feel dumb. When shopping in stores and I see wearable clothing that is crocheted I say I can make that and it would be better than by a machine........ I wanna cry!

At first I was a little angry that my gift was thought so little of. Then I realized that we do live in a "throw-away society" and I just have to live with that. The best part is that the doily has returned home.

My philosophy about the handmade gifts that I give to people has always been "Once it leaves my hands it is the recipient's to do with as they please." Yet, I would much prefer that I am not privy to the fact that they assign no value to it. I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Actually you were in the right place at the right time!!! You brought the "gift" home and it is happily placed among the other friends on the tree. I say it needs to be hung all year long.

Your story brought tears to my eyes...; your feelings were hurt and I can relate...the upside is i truly believe an Angel put it there for you to see ...to take home and give it love and companionship.....Some people cannot appreciate the work and more importantly the love put into a handmade gift specially at Christmas time...

My thoughts also of you sitting and making over 60! ornaments..your certainly gave with all your Heart...Best wishes to You!:)

Edited by Red67
sp ck

I am always a little sad when I see posts like this. I completely understand the feeling of working very hard to make something for someone and having it completely disregarded. But my feelings would be just as hurt at that reaction to something that I bought from a store for a person. Every gift I give is given after a great deal of thought and planning. That being said it is a gift. Something that the other person is free to do what they like with.

I love handmade items but just like "storebought" items there are some things that wouldn't fit into my decorating style (or lack thereof) and so I probably would do the same thing. Donate them or pass them on to someone that I think will appreciate it. I would expect the same thing from someone that I gave a gift too. I wouldn't want anyone to feel badly about not wanting to keep something or feel obligated to keep it just in case I ever mentioned it or came by. I think it's better to pass it on someway than to trash it or simply put in away in a box to never see the light of day. Just because someone doesn't keep something does not mean that they did not appreciate the love and hardwork that went into it. I guess that's just something that my mother and grandmother passed down to me, they are both incredible crafters but they make things and give them to people because they want to. It brings them (and me) happiness to make things and that is the real gift.

I'm glad you were able to bring your creation home.