Hobby Lobby - I Love This Yarn substitute?

blue_soda025

I have a pattern for a hat that calls for I Love This Yarn by Hobby Lobby but unfortunately they don't seem to sell those around here in Canada. What would be a good substitute for this yarn? I've actually just made this hat with some other worsted weight yarn that might've actually been a tad too heavy (even though the gauge on the label made it sound lighter than the Hobby Lobby yarn..!) but it resulted in making the hat too stiff for my liking *sigh*, so I'm focused on trying to find a softer yarn.

I was thinking of using Caron Simply Soft, but the gauge (size H-8, 16 sc = 4") is just a bit smaller than Hobby Lobby's (size I-9, 12 sc = 4"). So I am worried that that yarn will make the hat turn out to be too small, or would it not affect it too much if I use a bigger hook? At the same time I'm afraid that using a bigger hook will make it too "hole-y." The pattern calls for a J hook. Also, I'm really not good with this gauge stuff.. :P

I think the yarn that I have found to be closest to ILTY is maybe Bernat Super Value - I think another one that might be close is Red Heart Soft, but much fewer color choices. I really like Caron Simply Soft but it is limper than ILTY

You can buy ILTY online if you want to consider that option - I assume they would deliver to Canada but don't know that for sure.

i think TLC Essentials http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&CategoryID=12&ProductID=1974&RootCatCode=01000 is very similar to ILTY.

other things that would probably work are Plymouth Encore or Lion Brand Wool-ease, both are acrylic and wool.

I think Simply Soft is smaller than ILTY and agree it's quite limp. using SS and a bigger hook would probably result in a really open sttich pattern.

if the pattern has other sizes, you could try following a smaller size with the worsted you have and a larger hook.

I actually made the hat with Bernat Super Value and it came out too stiff and chunky which is weird.. At least that's what I thought when I compared my hat with the samples in the pictures -- their hat looked a lot limper than mine. :think

I'll give TLC Essentials a try and see how it turns out. I actually did consider ordering ILTY but they don't ship outside the US. : (

what about Vanna's choice yarn or Micheals loops and threads yarn

I think either of those would be an equal substitute. I think the Simply Soft might be a little too thin (how it gets away as a WW is beyond me) and RHSS is just a touch too thick.

I actually made the hat with Bernat Super Value and it came out too stiff and chunky which is weird.. At least that's what I thought when I compared my hat with the samples in the pictures -- their hat looked a lot limper than mine. :think

I'll give TLC Essentials a try and see how it turns out. I actually did consider ordering ILTY but they don't ship outside the US. : (

does the pattern give you a stitch gauge for the hat? Was your gauge the same?

does the pattern give you a stitch gauge for the hat? Was your gauge the same?

It did not give a gauge, it just said to use ILTY so I tried to use a similar yarn. The gauge of the Bernat Super Value is even smaller than ILTY though so if anything, shouldn't my hat come out smaller/flimsier? Yet it came out looking chunkier than the sample photos. But it's actually not too bad now that I look at my hat more. Just came out chunkier than I expected, I guess.

• 3 years later...

I see that this is an old topic but I was looking for the same answer--an equivalent to the Hobby Lobby yarn.  I went to Len's Mill here in Guelph and couldn't find TLC Essentials.  I may go up to Michael's and see what they have.

The site that I found that I thought would be nice for 2014 to get started for next Christmas is this one:  She makes hats 

Archived