55¢ Boye Hook

Very cool! Did you buy them originally, or did you inherit them, or buy them secondhand?

I have a steel hook with "10 cents" stamped on it---with the cents sign of course, not the word written out. I think it was my grandmother's, I know I got it from my mom.

I recently got my hands on one of those. It is a K hook with 39 cents stamped on it. It's also bigger than the 6.5 mm K hook that I already had. A good friend was cleaning out her grandparents house and came across the hooks. It had been her grandmothers. Since there were two, she gave one to me. I have no idea how old they are.

Kathy, I don't remember buying them so they must have come from my mom though I remember her doing more knitting than crocheting.

Oh that's so neat! I love knowing that I am using the same hooks my mom and grandma used :manyheart

I recently got my hands on one of those. It is a K hook with 39 cents stamped on it. It's also bigger than the 6.5 mm K hook that I already had. A good friend was cleaning out her grandparents house and came across the hooks. It had been her grandmothers. Since there were two, she gave one to me. I have no idea how old they are.

Very sweet to have a vintage hook from your friend's family:)

Those are awesome :)

I have an ancient steel hook that I adopted at a thrift store. no price (or size for that matter) stamped into it that I can find. But it has a fancy "turned" end. Wish I could figure out how old it is. I do have a question...how do you make it nice again, or is it possible? this hook looks like it got wet and stayed wet,or something. it's kinda rough and discolored in spots--not really good for crocheting with. (and it's tiny, too)

They are probably from the seventies. I have a couple that were marked 25 and 35 cents and that's when I received them. Been crocheting a long time....

:manyheart

I have a steel thread hook like that! It's a Boye hook, too. It's a #7, and whatever year it's from, it says "Boye" on it and also stamped right on it is 35 cents! Can you imagine? I should look thru the rest of my hooks to see if there are any other "oldies" among them.

I have a size G Boye with 35 cents stamped on it. It's the first hook I ever owned. My grandmother bought it for me when she taught me to crochet, 1966 or thereabouts.

I have two at 10 cents, two at 15 cents, and one at 40 cents. These would have come from my grandmothers, one passed away in '67 and the other in '73. These are all Boyes. I do have some that aren't price marked...not sure of the brands.

I have a Boye H marked 29 cents and a Gem H marked 25 cents. They are identical except the Gem is very slightly longer and they are different colors.

It's interesting how many old hooks crop up.

So glad others are posting their finds. I love knowing that the hooks have been around so long and hopefully used and well loved. Thanks everyone for posting what you have in your collection. I'm going to have to dig through more of mom's stuff and see what I can find.

I have a lot of these. There was a thrift store by me that use to get them in all the time! I ended up with a bunch and love it. They were only $1 there and micheals had them for $2, so I got them from the thrift store. Unforunately that thrift store closed. I rarely find them at any other thrift store.

But I love them. I thought they were older then the 60s or 70s, but if not, that's fine. I enjoy using them!

They are probably from the seventies. I have a couple that were marked 25 and 35 cents and that's when I received them. Been crocheting a long time....

:manyheart

This sounds about right. Crochet hook manufacturer's started stamping hooks with prices starting after World War II. Prior to the war, hooks were 5 cents after they started at 10 cents and went up from there. I haven't been able to find out exactly when they changed from price to price.

Those are awesome :)

I have an ancient steel hook that I adopted at a thrift store. no price (or size for that matter) stamped into it that I can find. But it has a fancy "turned" end. Wish I could figure out how old it is. I do have a question...how do you make it nice again, or is it possible? this hook looks like it got wet and stayed wet,or something. it's kinda rough and discolored in spots--not really good for crocheting with. (and it's tiny, too)

I wrote some information on cleaning steel hooks in this thread http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24111 .

Your hook probably came from England and probably dates from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Archived