2011 "Do Your Own Thing" KAL - All are welcome.

wiz3283

I have a few knit projects that I am working on and was wondering if anybody else was working on knit projects they needed motivation to complete. If so, let me know. We can do a KAL to keep us going. Anybody interested?

EDITED JAN 1, 2011:

Since it looks like there was some interest in doing a KAL I decided to start this link for us. This KAL will be for all skill levels and there is no pressure to knit a certain project or finish in a certain amount of time. I just thought it would be fun for us to have a place to share our knitted projects and to cheer each other on. If you are anything like me, I get bored easily and probably have at least 1/2 a dozen knit projects on my needles just screaming to be completed or frogged. (I wont mention all the crochet ones I have too.) So if you need some motivation to complete a project or maybe just try something new, come join us for ideas, motivation, conversation or just plain fun. :yay

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I don't "KNIT" the normal way (with 2 needles) I am all thumbs when i comes to 2 needles.. but I just bought a set of Knifty Knitters.. The hat looms and a square loom.. so I been making Items from those. I have 6 hats compleate. and working on 2 more.

Rite now I'm making a bunch of christmas hats. to try and sell.. Hubby got laid off work eariler then we thought and the bonus money we were supose to get is now not gonna happen. soooo 'm scrambling to make hats to sell so I can buy christmas gifts for the kid

other then that most my projects are all crochet.. wich reminds me. I realy need to get back on them or 'll never had 2 afgans done by chrstmas LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I am making scarves and hats for a couple of little grandsons. One set is finished and I just started the other child's set. Simple 2X2 rib for both hats and scarves — mindless enough for good movie knitting. I will probably get them off in the mail before New Year's if my hands hold up. Then I need a hat in a neutral color for me. After that I need to return to a lace scarf which has taken far too long. Especially the lace is something I am not eager to do at the moment although it is probably over halfway along already.

What are you doing, Tammy?

I think I have a love/hate thing going for knitting socks. I tell myself I WANT to knit socks but honestly, I don't think I enjoy knitting them all that much. This is a big disappointment since I have cherished a dream of being a sock knitter. I keep wondering if it is because I am not that proficient in them and if I would just knit several pairs it would all smooth out for me and be more fun. What do the rest of you think?

Right now I am working on making a Monk's Travel Satchel. I have most of the gusset done and need about 2 more inches on the back. I still have the front to make and then need to assemble and line. I just got my double points and want to try socks next I think.

Here is the link to the Monk's bag I am making. http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/14015.aspx

Tammy, I have never understood the concept of knitting bags and not felting them. It's a beautiful pattern, your Monk's Bag, but isn't it going to stretch unmercifully in use? Or is this actually felted and I can't tell that from the description?

Hi Carla,

It is not felted but I suppose you could if you wanted felt it. I am making mine in Cotton and to keep its shape I am planning to do a quilted lining instead of knitting the interior pockets. That should help it keep its shape. I will let you know how it all works out in the end.

Hi Carla,

It is not felted but I suppose you could if you wanted felt it. I am making mine in Cotton and to keep its shape I am planning to do a quilted lining instead of knitting the interior pockets. That should help it keep its shape. I will let you know how it all works out in the end.

Your lining will take care of it, I'm sure.

I finished the two hat/scarf sets for my grandsons and sent them off in the mail. I took some rather bad pictures of the sets but am hoping my daughter will accede to my request for pics of the little boys wearing their new accessories. So I'm waiting a bit before posting my own pictures to see if I get cuter ones of Josiah and John!

After that I started a hat for me. I think it's going to be a little big at the brim and will need some elastic to help it fit right. I have a small head so this is not a big surprise.

I've been working on some infant hats. Seem to have collected a fair amount of sock yarn this past year as I love the color changes. I crocheted socks before but my goal for 2011 is to learn to do socks on double pointed needles. Wish me luck!

I just finished my 1st "in-the-round" project. I am totally hooked! I love the method. It was a simple pattern on Ravelry called Tamarind Cowl. Now I want to find a beret pattern to do in-the-round to go with it.

My personal laptop fried it's motherboard. I can't post pics to here or Ravelry from my work computer. It sucks.

Bought the dress for my daughter's outdoor Sept 2011 wedding today. Now to find a nice light airy shawl pattern as the dress is sleeveless. Would prefer knitted to crochet for this project.

I don't know your comfort level for lace, but Knitty has tons of free knitted shawl patterns. Many are fairly elaborate but here and there are some simpler ones. The link takes you to the current issue but you can do a search and find shawls in the archives.

— Oh, and I am thinking right away of a pretty little shawlette which is popular and very easy: Citron. I haven't made this but I've seen in white with some pearly beads knitted into it and it was simply gorgeous. It can be made larger; no doubt once you get to the edge you would have caught the rhythm of the increases and could add more rows. Even very simple patterns like Citron look very special in lace yarn with an appropriate needle.

Bought the dress for my daughter's outdoor Sept 2011 wedding today. Now to find a nice light airy shawl pattern as the dress is sleeveless. Would prefer knitted to crochet for this project.

I have always liked this one.http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTido.html

Just finishing up on my sisters afghan and then back to my monk's tote and a

few other knitting projects waiting on my needles. Anybody interested in a Do you own thing Kal to keep us motivated? You could knit anything you want to and we can keep each other motivated. If there is enough interest let me know.

I have always liked this one.http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTido.html

Just finishing up on my sisters afghan and then back to my monk's tote and a

few other knitting projects waiting on my needles. Anybody interested in a Do you own thing Kal to keep us motivated? You could knit anything you want to and we can keep each other motivated. If there is enough interest let me know.

I think a "do your own thing KAL" sounds like fun. If you proficient knitters don't mind a newbie joining, I am all for it.

I see small projects in my future, knit-wise, as it is slow going for me. I attempted a Honey Cowl but tried to knit from the hank and I probably don't need to tell anyone how that ended up. I did discover there are people that actually LIKE to untangle yarn, but only AFTER I did very, very bad things to the poor yarn before throwing it in the bin. :blush

So I will jump on the bandwagon and do a project I know I will complete and that is a pair of plain vanilla socks. Preferably bright, fun, obnoxious socks. :lol

I started a sweater for me (again) yesterday. I bought this nice deep green yarn a few years ago and although I have knitted, knitted and knitted some more with it, and on sweaters, it's turned back into balls of yarn again. I chose another pattern and have my fingers crossed that this time I will actually get this yarn made into a lovely sweater. Honestly, by this time I am fairly sick of the yarn but don't feel I can buy more for a different sweater until I get this one knitted up.

I make no promises about finishing, given my dismal record on this yarn, but a KAL might help. (To answer Tammy's original question. Sorry to be so long getting there, Tammy.)

HomekeepingGran and wiz3283...thank you for the links. I've been searching for patterns and visiting a lot of online yarn sites. DD says I need to buy my shoes first before planning the shawl. As I hate shoe shopping and will put that off as long as I can, the shawl wouldn't get made in time.

Since it looks like we have a bit of interest in this I am going to change the title of this link to "Do your own thing KAL" and I will edit the first post. No pressure here to finish anything and anyone can join at any time. It's just going to be a place for us to share the knit projects we are working on and cheer each other on. All skill levels are welcome.

HomekeepingGran and wiz3283...thank you for the links. I've been searching for patterns and visiting a lot of online yarn sites. DD says I need to buy my shoes first before planning the shawl. As I hate shoe shopping and will put that off as long as I can, the shawl wouldn't get made in time.

I should have sent you to the directory at Knitting Pattern Central. It has links to places other than just Knitty. Also, for inexpensive but lovely laceweight yarn you might look at KnitPicks laces. I love their Shimmer line and have some gorgeous white Shimmer for a lace shawl to be knitted later. Elann has some pretty yarns very inexpensively, too. I think you have to "join" but it's free and you are under no obligation to buy anything. Besides, they also have some lovely free patterns for people who join.

Happy New Year Everybody !

Hope you are all safe and warm. I finally finished the granny ghan I was working on for my sister and now its time to get some knitting done. Since the Monk's bag is for me I am working on it between projects I need to get finished. My batteries are charging on my camera so I can take some pics of the projects I need to finish or decide to frog.

My craft room is a reck as we were planning to move but since that did not pan out I need to at least get it a bit more organized so I can find thing again.

Happy Knitting everyone!

:D

Ah, so this is officially IT? Hooray! Thanks, Tammy! A cool KAL! I am so in. Please, folks, encourage me through this sweater. I want to have a pretty green sweater and move on to something else. :blush I just minutes ago finished the ribbing on the back section. It was Twisted Rib stitch and frankly, not much fun. Should go faster now.

Oh, my sweater is the St. Denis Cardigan by Veronik Avery and is free on the Classic Elite site. Yarn is Ella Rae Classic worsted wool in a deep green. To my utter surprise I ended up with the needle size the pattern calls for. I've learned to start swatching two sizes smaller, but that didn't work this time.

Tammy, what do you have going and what planned, besides your intermittent Monk Bag?

Yeah Carla! You can do it.

I have scarves, a few doilies and debating on socks or a sweater I have been eyeing for a long time. Nothing special yet but I would really like to get at least one doily done. They are so beautiful but I knit like a snail so it takes a long time to complete my knitted projects. I LOVE to knit and learn new things so who knows what I will do next. I have been wanting to try intarsia or fair isle but I am still intimidated.

Yeah Carla! You can do it.

I have scarves, a few doilies and debating on socks or a sweater I have been eyeing for a long time. Nothing special yet but I would really like to get at least one doily done. They are so beautiful but I knit like a snail so it takes a long time to complete my knitted projects. I LOVE to knit and learn new things so who knows what I will do next. I have been wanting to try intarsia or fair isle but I am still intimidated.

Thanks, Tammy. And you can do your projects, too. Aren't those knitted doilies gorgeous? I've played (swatched, mainly) in fair isle and it is not that hard. You do have to work very loosely and learn how to anchor a stitch if there are too many stitches between colors. Not hard. Fair isle works better with wool though, because of the "sticky" factor of wool yarns (ie. the little woolly hairs cling to one another and can even lock together if you go so far as to felt). Never tried intarsia, but hey, people learn it every day. You are a wonderful knitter and can too, I'm sure.

I would go ahead and post the pics of my grandson's hats and scarves but I don't know where my husband has hidden the digital camera. When he gets home, maybe.

Archived