JulieKay

2011 Combo Challenge

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Boxes are so fun to get in the mail Donna! Opening them is like shopping all over!

Hello all. There has been alot of posting since I last checked in. I woke up yesterday with a toothache and have an appointment this afternoon. Right before the holidays. Other than work, I have been a slug.

I've seen some really nice snowflakes. Hopefully I can get mine finished up next week. Tomorrow is my last day before the holidays. We are off until Jan 3 so I am hoping to have plenty of crochet and reading time. I believe I might be getting a Kindle for Christmas so I will have to investigate to see what interesting reading material is out there. Does anyone know if Amazon is the only place to get eBooks for Kindle?

Have a great day.

Joanne - I wish it were cold here, at least colder. I'm not into tundra, but it's bounced way up again. My computer says it's 79*. I'll probably have to turn on the A/C again tonight to sleep comfortably. Bah, humbug!

I did go to Joanne's - we have little dinky one here - and they did not have #10 thread in white. I don't think I could see #20. I'll venture out to Hobby Lobby to look for it, but not until after Christmas.

Jennifer, I hope you get the Kindle. Mine is, hands down, my best friend! There are lots of other places besides Amazon, especially if you like classics or older literature. I use manybooks.net and feedbooks.com. You can download in .azw (the Amazon) format or .mobi. You can also download from the Gutenburg project. There are also others, but these are the ones I use.

There is a great blog dailycheapreads.com that links to Amazon and posts books from free to $5.00. They post many titles a day. It pays to check this daily, because sometimes titles are offered free or for a dollar or two for only a day or very limited time. E-book pricing is rather bizarre.

Another useful site is ereaderiq.com. It's an advanced search of Amazon that in addition to the usual keywords, etc, you can specify price ranges and exclude all the public domain titles if you want. They also have a listing of free titles.

Hi Jennifer

I hope Santa brings you a Kindle for Christmas ! I love mine --- it has been a great investment and one of the coolest gadgets I have ever seen .

I always get my books on Amazon,so am not familiar with getting them other places, but I see Donna has given you a good list of places to look . We'll be waiting to hear if you get one and how you like it .

Morning ladies !

Donna--- glad you got some new yarn to try out ,plus lots of days off to play with it ! Show us a photo when you get done,so we can see what you make .

Also, good job on the books !

Howdy Joanne --- you will soon get some extra days off too,wont you ?

I have a 3 day weekend this week and next!!! Off on both Christmas eve and New Years Eve. We're all hoping for an early dismissal on the 23rd, but not counting on it!!!

Oh, how exciting that you are getting a Kindle Jennifer! I love my Nook and have gotten many free books. Still trying to figure out how to borrow books from the library. And today at work we had a Secret Santa and I got a $20.00 gift card for B&N!!! So excited. I'm going to see how many books I can find for $20.00!!!!!

Donna- those links are great. I've used inkmesh.com and booksontheknob.blogspot.com which has free books for both Kindle and Nook.

Have a good night everyone!

Thanks for all the links Donna and Joanne. I'm pretty sure I'll be busy checking them out soon.

Can you believe Christmas is only 4 days away. I still have some shopping and ALL my wrapping to do. YIKES. How did I get so lazy.

I survived the dentist and will end up getting a root canal next week. They gave me some antibiotics and pain meds and I have taken both. Feeling pretty groggy and will probably be going to sleep soon.

Jennifer - rest and get to feeling better soon. It's extra bad to be sick over holidays. Take care of yourself. Oh, and don't operate machinery or attempt any intricate patterns while you're on pain meds!

Joanne

Enjoy your 2 long weekends coming up !! ( I know you will )

Jennifer

Sorry to hear about your tooth problems this close to the holiday - hopefully the pain meds will keep it quiet til you can go in next week and get it taken care of .

Hey everyone,

Just doing a quick check since I haven't been here in a while. Just busy and I still haven't started my snowflakes or a new book yet :eek

Oh well, off to work on my graph ghan :D

Hello again. I ended up working 12 hours, so I just got home. I had a really quiet day at work today.

Morning all

Marisa

No problem on not getting the challenges done yet-- I know you are trying hard to get the afghan completed in time,so it comes first,since you are on a time scale with it .

We'll be around whenever you get time .

Cindy

Good to see you,and glad work was quiet. The good part of 12 hours is a bigger paycheck ,so that's always nice to see .

To everyone else,

I actually read a WHOLE book yesterday.Havent done that in AGES,but it was so good.

A memoir called Driving With Dead People ,by Monica Holloway . Most of it was humorous-- about a girl growing up in a really dysfunctional family. Not that the topic is funny,because it is NOT, but the way she told most of the story, she made lots of funny comments about things,but then when she hits adulthood and the really big,horrid secrets come out ,it is a real tearjerker . I like reading books like that, that teach me about LIFE and how people are able to deal with life issues and get through them .

I'd give this one a 5 stars ,easily .

Good morning!

Wow Julie- I can't even remember the last time I read a whole book in one day!! I would think it was probably when I was 16 and was laid up in bed for the whole summer with mono and then had my tonsils out! That was a LONG time ago!!!

The book sounds very interesting and must have been for you to devour it in one day!

Jennifer- Hope your tooth feels better and I'm sure the antibiotics and pain meds will help. Good luck with the root canal next week!

Marisa- Cheering you on as you work on finishing the graph'ghan!

I haven' read but more than a few pages these last few days- working on finishing up projects/gifts for Christmas! I'm looking forward to my 3 days off for sure!

Have a good day everyone!!! Off to get ready for paradise!

Jennifer, I hope the tooth doesn't bother from now till next week.

Julie that book sounds really good.

I'm glad I have thursday off. I have lots to do before Christmas that will make use of that time.

Good morning everyone. No reading or crocheting here yesterday.

I am in the middle of "4:50 from Paddington", which is one I've read before. It was also published as "What Mrs. McGillicudy Saw". The author is Agatha Christie.

Julie, if it is not to late, I would love to be included in this CAL. I my not get here every month, but I can promise totry.

Paula

Good morning everyone. No reading or crocheting here yesterday.

I am in the middle of "4:50 from Paddington", which is one I've read before. It was also published as "What Mrs. McGillicudy Saw". The author is Agatha Christie.

I've got it as 'What Mrs McGillicudy Saw' - its a good one!

Agatha Christie is one of my favorites.

Julie, if it is not to late, I would love to be included in this CAL. I my not get here every month, but I can promise totry.

Paula

I'm not Julie, but you're more than welcome!:hug

You can choose to participate in any of the challenges you'd like to, no pressure to do all of them.

BBL!

Welcome, Crochet_Gram.

I've got it as 'What Mrs McGillicudy Saw' - its a good one!

Agatha Christie is one of my favorites.

She's one of mine too.

Hi Paula !

Of course,as Judy said, you are welcome ! Not too late to sign up,and no pressure in this group to complete everything. You do what you can or want ,then that is fine .

I'll put you on the list page 1,so your name will be clickable and you can record your progress there to keep track easier .

It's a friendly group,so I think you will like it .

Cindy and other Christie fans --

I went through a spell where that is all I read - her books,and she wrote quite a pile of them . That was when our kids were little so it's been a long time ago and can't remember the plot of hardly any but I liked them all .

Julie, I actually think that part of the appeal of Christie is that her characters are just that...characters, and they re-appear in other books. Her endings can be somewhat predictable after you've read a few of her books, but she plays fair with her readers and all the clues to the mystery are there, I just don't pick up on about 2/3 of them and I misinterpret the rest.

Cindy

Yes,she was very good at describing her main characters so you could picture them . I am about as good at solving mystery stories as I am at jigsaw puzzles,which is no good at all. I like to try,but never guess right ,so I'm always surprised at the end .

Did you ever read the Miss Pollifax mysteries ? I read all of them before way back when,too,and remember really enjoying them,beause there seemd a little humor tossed into them . I can't remember who wrote them,but I really liked them .