Craft booth manager problems -- advice needed on dealing with a situation

OK, I've come across a problem and I'd like your input, feedback, and advice. This is a bit long, and a bit confusing since I don't know all the proper terms, but bear with me.

In October I got an exciting deal to open a craft booth in a physical store. This would be my first time selling my items, so I was excited. They were going to be new to town, and they said they were going opening on 1.Nov. Being the good person I am, when I signed the 6 month contract, I paid the first month and deposit ahead of time. That really just the way I am. I like things paid early.

Now, they didn't open on 1.Nov. Instead, they opened on 12.Nov. and said they were prorating November's rent. I asked if I could apply that to December, and they said, "Yes".

A month's rent is $60, and they charged $30 for Nov. So, I was $30 up.

December comes up and I pay my rent early (today, in fact) for $30. I was even smart enough to include a photocopy of the receipt for the November's rent as a reminder that I already paid up extra.

I get an email later that day from the person in charge stating in a rather snobby tone that she was only prorating November, and I owe an additional $30.

Now, I've wasted half a day on the phone trying to find free legal advice on this matter. $30 is a lot when you don't have a real job and live on financial aid. (Two weeks worth of groceries, in fact.) Most of them won't touch the case unless it is in the thousands of dollars, but I still want to know what I can do to protect myself. Answer: make sure you get everything in writing, and yes, email counts. Would be better if it was snail-mail though.

Now, the part that I want your advice about is what would you do in my situation?

Since I have the option, I'm seriously tempted to give my 30 days notice and quit. (That is what the contract asks for, no sub-leaser, which surprises me...) Would you stick it out for the full 6 months?

Really, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

I can, but it is like speaking to a wall. She doesn't actually listen. The "store manager" doesn't have the authority to do anything without the "owner's" permission.

So, either way, I feel like no one is hearing when I talk to them on the phone, email, or even in person.

In person is one I haven't tried yet on the situation. Mostly because it just came up today, but I shall try both Friday when I go in to pick up my shelves (making them more stable and less likely to fall), and Saturday when I'm in for work.

I'm really hoping this gets all squared away soon. I *HATE* drama and problems. It makes me a nervous wreck.

Maybe you were the only one who paid the full month for November in advance.

If everyone else paid the $30 prorated amount for November, they may have forgotten you paid $60 in November, and that $30 of that payment should have been applied toward your December booth rent.

Or perhaps they thought they had issued you a refund?

Just send a copy of your receipt for the original payment, and that should be enough to get everything straightened out.

Sadly, it didn't. At least, not that I know of. I did put a copy of the receipt -- I keep all originals for my own safety -- in with the check to remind them. And they still chose to ignore that bit.

I'm hoping it was overlooked and they will be reasonable when I talk to them in person Friday (if one of them is there) or Saturday, again, if one of them shows up.

1. They admitted they pro-rated the rent for November.

2. You have a receipt showing you paid the full amount.

3. Request a refund of your overpayment for November.

4. Give it back as the rest of your payment for December.

Honestly, if they can't sort out a simple bookkeeping issue like this, you may have ongoing problems with them, so brace yourself and keep track of everything.

Archived