patterns that combine felting and regular crochet techniques

annemariedeville

Hi there!

I just have a question about a pattern I used recently for a tote purse that combined the technique of felting and the use of regular crochet.

The pattern contained a crocheted wool top portion where the straps were to go (also the felted portion), then it proceeded into the body of the bag, a beautiful striped portion using regular worsted weight acrylic yarn. Bag was then to be felted in washer where only top part of course would felt. Well, the felted part on top came out tiny, too tiny, and caused the rest of the bag to crinkle, not looking the way the purse was to supposed to! Hmmm, what should I have done? I followed felting and crocheting techniques exactly. I removed the wool portion, seamed the top of the bag, and plan to try the wool again. Maybe not keep it in washer so long next time?

Thank you!! :)

Felting is not an exact science. Even if you've made a test swatch; the next batch in the washer isn't going to be exactly the same temperature, amount of friction, etc. All I can suggest is watch it closely and stop the process when it's as 'done' as you want it.

Archived