Crocheting during a movie?

I'm going to see Harry Potter tonight, but I have a hard time sitting still through a whole movie, even if it's a good one. I was thinking of taking some yarn with me. Do you think that's too weird? I feel a little funny about it!

Don't worry about what other people think when it comes to crocheting. They might think it's weird, but that shouldn't matter.

The only concern I would have it being abel to see while in a movie theater. Using lighted crochet hooks would disturb those around you.

The lighting may be an issue, but I will do something simple so I don't have to look at it much. Honestly, even if my project doesn't come out well, I can live with that. Just need something to keep me occupied.

Don't worry, I would never consider using one in a theater, but... they make lighted crochet hooks?? Neat!!

The lighting may be an issue, but I will do something simple so I don't have to look at it much. Honestly, even if my project doesn't come out well, I can live with that. Just need something to keep me occupied.

Don't worry, I would never consider using one in a theater, but... they make lighted crochet hooks?? Neat!!

Sure do! http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Lite-Hooks-Size-4-5mm/dp/B000SKHR6W

They sell them in most craft stores that carry yarn/hooks, too.

There is a lot of dark scenes in this movie. It may be very hard to see. But a lighted hook may be distracting from other people. I know I've been distracted when someone has light up tennis shoes and they walk down the aisle.

It is a good movie but it is 2 and a half hours long.

:manyheart

I have crocheted in theaters many times. I have also used the lighted hooks when I needed to but I always made sure that I was in a empty row or far to one side of the theater where no one else was so that I would not bother them. If it is a simple project and you can do it by touch that is the least distracting to other people. I think as long as you are respectful of those around you go for it.

I can't sit still watching a long movie either...due to back and leg problems. I would love to crochet while watching a movie, but I find that I don't do well in the dark. The only way I can keep myself occupied so that I can sit reasonably still, is to have a big bowl of popcorn to munch on. My son is going to take me to see Harry Potter, the Weekend after Thanksgiving.....A kind of mother/son day. He is 31 and has his own house, but he never forgets about his mom :manyheart

If you can't sit still, stay home and crochet. Wait for the film to be on DVD or cable.

If you MUST go , sit between two people in your own group.

I would not want to sit next to someone who was busy with a project, it would distract me too much.

If you can't sit still, stay home and crochet. Wait for the film to be on DVD or cable.

If you MUST go , sit between two people in your own group.

I would not want to sit next to someone who was busy with a project, it would distract me too much.

this is pretty much what i was going to say. if i were sitting next to a person crocheting or knitting, their constant hand and arm movements would be distracting to me.

I have taken yarn to the movies before but have never actually pulled it out to work on anything. I say go for it & see how it works out....better to have it & decide not to than to not have it & wonder. :hook

if you can't sit still, stay home and crochet. Wait for the film to be on dvd or cable.

If you must go , sit between two people in your own group.

ditto!

Sorry but that's a bit rude. I am very careful not to disturb people and I was not sitting right by anyone except the person I was with. I have ADHD and that is why I have trouble paying attention to something for that length of time. I guess that means I shouldn't go to the movies according to you!

Basically, you can't hear tone in text.

I don't think anyone meant to be malicious. You were asking for opinions and you received them. Sometimes when someone else has a different opinion we may perceive it as being rude when it was not intended to be. People are going to do their best to be honest. And that will involve views from both sides of the spectrum.

I too cannot sit still during any movie. I always take my lighted hook and cotton and just make basic dishcloths. I have never heard that i bother anyone...beleive me in our town they would say someting. The only people i bother are my kids they are mortified...but then again they are teenagers and everything i do mortifies them. I say bring it there are a few slow spots in the movie..not many mind but a few when you may need it

Sorry but that's a bit rude. I am very careful not to disturb people and I was not sitting right by anyone except the person I was with. I have ADHD and that is why I have trouble paying attention to something for that length of time. I guess that means I shouldn't go to the movies according to you!

I stand by what I said and others on this thread agree with me.

I wasn't going to respond again to this but, I am totaly owning up to my agreement to ratdog's post....I often think twice about paying $10 to see a movie because rarely do I go to a move where there aren't people either checking their cell phones, talking, fidgiting, kicking the back of my seat, etc....I'm sorry if you find this rude, but you did ask for opinons...we just stated ours....

I wasn't going to respond again to this but, I am totaly owning up to my agreement to ratdog's post....I often think twice about paying $10 to see a movie because rarely do I go to a move where there aren't people either checking their cell phones, talking, fidgiting, kicking the back of my seat, etc....I'm sorry if you find this rude, but you did ask for opinons...we just stated ours....

Yeah, me too. If somebody wants to do 2 things at once, the theater is not the place for that. In the privacy of our own homes, we can turn on the dvd, pick up the crocheting, and multitask away.

And a major factor for me---watching on dvd makes those bathroom breaks so much easier;)

i do it all the time with blankets and scarves, but its a pattern i can literally do with my eyes closed lol................and have.

its easiest with a repetitive pattern that does not require any counting or yarn changing, you can do it! I worked on a blanket during TANGLED last week, just make sure you start it at home so you can see what you are doing.

AND like the other ladies said i wouldnt sit next to someone you dont know pick a corner where no one else is sitting:) just because there is always a grinch.

I crochet in theaters because sometimes my kids want to see movies i have NO desire to see, so instead of wasting that time, i use it wisely. Given all the talking, crying babies, and cell phone usage in movies, i sincerely doubt you would bother anyone, ESPECIALLY since i would think people who are there to see it would be too busy concentrating on the movie to pay attention to what other people are QUIETLY doing, but there is always that one person that if you sat a mile away from them they would complain. ;)

Archived