Is there an L hook?

babypoohsmom

Color me baffled.

I bought some Vanna's Choice yarn (black, grey color way) to make a beanie hat for a friend for her to give to a male family member. Finished it, tried it on, perfect. Had husband try it on - too small. Male family member in question is 250+ lbs, so it turned into a do over. I had been using a J hook and decided to go up 2 sizes. Looked for an L. How do I not have an L? So on my last WalMart run until January (won't go during crazy Christmas shopping times), I darted to the back for an L hook. No L hook there. No missing slots, no L's in the value packs! Is there no such thing as an L hook? What do we have against the letter "L"??

Help? And what size should I use with this yarn. I crochet rather tightly!!

Denise

I don't think I've ever seen a Boye hook in size L.

Susan Bates makes a clear plastic size L and a silvalume size L.

Red Heart makes Crystalites in size L.

Brittany makes a birch wood hook in size L.

ChiaoGoo makes bamboo regular and Tunisian hooks in size L.

The Denise company makes a size L plastic interchangeable Tunisian hook.

A HA! So they are out there. Well, I think Joann's and Michael's have Bates, so I'll hold out. If not, I will try the yarn shop. I am determined to make this hat the correct size. Thanks Amy and sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I just saw the other forum for hooks and supplies. Duh!

Yeah, they're out there, you just have to try hard to find them sometimes. The "elusive" L hook. If you can't find any locally, there are lots of online sources for these.

Oh, don't worry about not posting it in the Hooks folder. I moved it over there for you right after I answered you. :)

I have 2 - a bamboo & a plastic. I bought the plastic one at WalMart a long time ago & the bamboo in a yarn store. A. C. Moore has a bamboo L size online but I can't say for sure if I've seen it in the store. Try to get a bamboo hook if you can. So much nicer to work with.

I have to agree here. Vanna's choice is too thin of a yarn to work with an L hook.

You could try working a child size hat with 2 strands and an L or M hook. That may come out to the right size. Either that or find a different pattern.

Hmm, I haven't started back up but the yarn does look thin for that big hook I found. I am not an expert at modifying patterns, but adding an increase row shouldn't be rocket science, right? I may be back for help....

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Color me baffled.

I bought some Vanna's Choice yarn (black, grey color way) to make a beanie hat for a friend for her to give to a male family member. Finished it, tried it on, perfect. Had husband try it on - too small. Male family member in question is 250+ lbs, so it turned into a do over. I had been using a J hook and decided to go up 2 sizes. Looked for an L. How do I not have an L? So on my last WalMart run until January (won't go during crazy Christmas shopping times), I darted to the back for an L hook. No L hook there. No missing slots, no L's in the value packs! Is there no such thing as an L hook? What do we have against the letter "L"??

Help? And what size should I use with this yarn. I crochet rather tightly!!

Denise

I have it's rare I bought one just last year.

Archived