Photographing thread crochet (close up)

tangleweeds

I've been wanting to blog some step-by-step photo demos of Irish crochet motifs from turn-of-the-(20th)-century patterns, but I'm having trouble getting photos with good stitch definition. Our camera manual says it requires special adjustments to photograph a light item (i.e. thread) against a dark/contrasting background, but doesn't tell me how to adjust (grrr...).

So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips on getting better close-up photographs of thread crochet. I need clearer stitch definition than what I've been getting, which would be fine for showing off a finished doily, but isn't really clear enough to distinguish individual stitches.

The camera has ISO, aperture, and shutter speed adjustments, but I'm a little vague on how to work all this stuff anymore (my college 35mm photography class was almost 30 years ago). But bet I would pick it up again relatively quickly, since I remember it all being logical enough. The camera is a Canon PowerShot A630, if anyone has experience with similar models.

I have gotten some pretty good photos of things done in size 10 thread. you can see an example on my photobucket http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/kathy-and-slick/?action=view&current=100_4081.jpg

you can see the sttiches, but that's probably not as much of a close-up as you want. but if it helps, i used a Kodak camera with automatic settings. I used the macro setting for extreme close-up, turned off the flash, and that pic was taken on a winter day with natural light from a window about a foot from where the flake was. Then in my iPhoto program i cropped and zoomed in on it.

But for tutorials showing individual stitches, what about using larger thread to show the sttiches?

sorry i have to use a photobucket link, my iphoto is not working and i can't directly upload a photo unless i go into finder and track it down

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a Canon PowerShot A470. Mine has different settings to choose from to accomodate the setting you are in: Daytime, Night time, Indoors etc.

When I'm not crocheting, I'm busy trying to learn ways of making better photographs. It's really been a challenge for me. I've also been playing with a photo editing program that is based on using various brushes, layers, curves, etc. to the photo (like PhotoShop for example.) I have a lot to learn, but I've finally started to truly grasp the concept of how this type of editing works.

If you use a Macro setting to take your photots, your "shake" icon is probably going to appear. Mine does. My book said that if you are going to take Macro shots, the best thing to do is to have a tripod so that the image comes out super clean.

Here's a link that will take you to a webpage that will allow you download a PDF for the Canon Powershot A630.

http://www.nodevice.com/user_manual/canon/digital_cameras2/powershot_a630.html

Archived