Military Emblem

arabrabd

Question

I am looking for any kind of pattern for the Marines. I thought I saw a pattern or a link on here once. I bookmarked it and our computer crashed. Lost all of our bookmarks. Hopefully our son will graduate from Bootcamp next month, I would like to crochet a pillow with the emblem (sp) on it. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank-you!

18 answers to this question

I

I don't think the Marines would have a problem with her making a chart herself and making an afghan. I do think they would have a problem with anyone distributing a pattern of the emblem without permission of the Marines.

I made a US Navy pillow for my FIL. This was made with RedHeart and an I hook. There's not a whole lot of room for detail in a pillow. I had a couple requests for the pattern but I wouldn't share it.

post-10150-135897603027_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the answers, I want to make this for my husband, not to sell..........he just turned 72 and is not in great health, he loved the time he served in the marines and I want to make it for him for Christmas. The one posted by RoseRed is just what I am looking for, just do not know how to go about getting the directions etc. Thanks

Basically, you'd need to create a chart for it yourself.

There are potential infringement issues if someone were to send you a chart without the permission of the Marines. I wouldn't want our site or any of our members to get in trouble with the Marines for copyright infringement.

They might decide to confiscate everyone's yarn and give it a nice burial at sea! :lol Just kidding about that, but we do need to respect the trademark issues involved.

Thanks for all the answers, I want to make this for my husband, not to sell..........he just turned 72 and is not in great health, he loved the time he served in the marines and I want to make it for him for Christmas. The one posted by RoseRed is just what I am looking for, just do not know how to go about getting the directions etc. Thanks

wow I didn't plan on creating a big discussionn on this subject. I appreciate all the help I could get .... Sorry if I was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

We just love to talk here - it's amazing how the simplest question can turn into a rocking thread full of ideas and chatter. Nothing to be sorry about.

Besides - the next person that comes along and wonders now has a thread that can be found with the search engine to help with their questions.

If somebody was willing to make it in sock/fingering weight yarn, you'd have a lot more room for detail on a pillow.

But I agree, worsted weight doesn't give much room for detail.

Good point - never would've thought about using a finer yarn. The 4ply ww is good on my hands so that's what I generally try to stick with.

I made a US Navy pillow for my FIL. This was made with RedHeart and an I hook. There's not a whole lot of room for detail in a pillow. I had a couple requests for the pattern but I wouldn't share it.

If somebody was willing to make it in sock/fingering weight yarn, you'd have a lot more room for detail on a pillow.

But I agree, worsted weight doesn't give much room for detail.

wow I didn't plan on creating a big discussionn on this subject. I appreciate all the help I could get. I had read the USMC, license and copywrite rules. I thought that as long as you don't sell for money (which steals from them) and use for personal use, it is ok to use their logos and emblems. This is for my son's personal use. Sorry if I was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

The graph ghan is beautiful. Alot of love went into that.

If you can create a graph pattern for yourself, that most likely falls under acceptable use by the Marines.

However, anyone who wanted to distribute a pattern would still need to go through the Marines for permission. Giving a pattern away for free could also be seen as stealing from the Marines, as they might have preferred the pattern be sold so they could get that revenue to support the programs they provide to the Marines currently serving. That's why we can't allow sharing of links to unlicensed patterns.

We are sorry we can't help you find what you were looking for, but maybe you can create a graph yourself.

[ATTACH]31314[/ATTACH]

Wow that is just beautiful Rose :cheer My son is in the Navy I'm a little partial to anything Navy :lol

wow I didn't plan on creating a big discussionn on this subject. I appreciate all the help I could get. I had read the USMC, license and copywrite rules. I thought that as long as you don't sell for money (which steals from them) and use for personal use, it is ok to use their logos and emblems. This is for my son's personal use. Sorry if I was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

The graph ghan is beautiful. Alot of love went into that.

I was just looking thru the graph ghan cal and found this gorgeous ghan

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1880315&postcount=565

It is very well-done!

I'm not sure if the OP created her own pattern for that or if she used a pattern someone else made. If there is an officially licensed pattern somewhere, that link can be posted. If there's a pattern out there that isn't licensed or doesn't state it's being distributed with permission of the USMC, then we can't allow links to it (via post, private message, or email to other members).

That paragraph in full:

To me - it reads that Marines can use the emblems and slogans for personal use and handmade items. Most of the page reads about commercial sales.

The emblem (globe w/ eagle on top) may be too detailed for a pillow.

I think it means that tattoos,handmade items, the names of their boats, and other things are all considered personal items.

I don't think the Marines would have a problem with her making a chart herself and making an afghan. I do think they would have a problem with anyone distributing a pattern of the emblem without permission of the Marines.

That paragraph in full:

What about fair use? I was told military insignia were fair use.

"Fair use" is a principle of copyright law that allows for the limited unauthorized use of another's original copyrighted work for the purposes of criticism, commentary, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Commercial sales are not included in fair use. In the trademark law context, “fair use” contemplates the use of another party’s trademark that is not considered to be a “trademark use,” where the use does not function as a brand or identifier of source. While some instances of use of military insignia (such as in the background, or some other incidental use) might qualify as “fair use,” each such use must be reviewed in order to determine if it is a fair use, or a trademark use (requiring a license).

In the context of “fair use,” many Marines have used USMC insignia and slogans (such as the EGA, “The Few, The Proud,” etc.) on personal items such as tattoos, handmade items, the names of their boats, etc. As we do not consider these to be “trademark uses,” we don’t consider them as requiring a license, nor could or would we prohibit such uses if we wanted to.

To me - it reads that Marines can use the emblems and slogans for personal use and handmade items. Most of the page reads about commercial sales.

The emblem (globe w/ eagle on top) may be too detailed for a pillow.

I'm not offering legal advice, just copying the part that seems to apply to what you're asking. It wouldn't hurt to give the Trademark Licensing Office a quick call to verify, but you might be alright to graph out the emblem if it's just going to be a personal item for your son.

Yes, it sounds like it would be okay for someone to create a graph for their own personal use, but they wouldn't be able to give copies of that graph to anyone else.

Taken from the link that Amy posted:

"In the context of “fair use,” many Marines have used USMC insignia and slogans (such as the EGA, “The Few, The Proud,” etc.) on personal items such as tattoos, handmade items, the names of their boats, etc. As we do not consider these to be “trademark uses,” we don’t consider them as requiring a license, nor could or would we prohibit such uses if we wanted to. "

I'm not offering legal advice, just copying the part that seems to apply to what you're asking. It wouldn't hurt to give the Trademark Licensing Office a quick call to verify, but you might be alright to graph out the emblem if it's just going to be a personal item for your son.

The Marine logo is subject to copyright and/or trademark protection, which means a designer/publisher would have to have permission from the Marines in order to distribute a pattern.

We can only allow links to officially licensed patterns.

Here is a link to the Marine Corps' logo licensing information page.

Archived