Chiscrochetcrazy

Suggestion [more than 40 posts for wish list/swaps?]

I guess I'll add my two cents: I think 100 posts is reasonable, especially if it's limited to non-welcome, non-OT posts. I do think that three months might be a bit long, but one month seems a little short. Two months, though, now that sounds about right.

Also, thanks to all of the mods/admins who deal with this stuff all of the time. You gals are awesome!

Wow, I've missed a lot today!

First of all, I feel like the points for swaps things just isn't a good idea, because I personally have no desire to make things for anyone. I won't participate in any of the bookmark/dishcloth/scarf swaps, whatever, but that doesn't mean that I'm not a good swapper in other swaps, like secret pals or the yarn swaps.

I'm not sure how I feel about increasing the post count... Not to be "holier than thou" but I know that I have been active at this board and swapping at this board longer than some members who have three times my post count. Nothing against them for posting - but what I'm saying is I would rather see a time limit attached than the post count increased. There are alot of members who come here regularly that just don't post that often...

I feel like a combination of the two, post count and time limit, is good for Crochetville... I know that it's not a fool-proof way to weed out the weirdos, but then again, nothing is. I do know that I wouldn't feel comfortable that my information was available to someone who wasn't as serious about this board as I am.

I didn't join this board to get in swaps & didn't even know about them when I joined so I didn't wait with baited breath to get 40 posts so I could do them. I wanted to talk about a common hobby.Why is it such a awful thing to have people wait to be included in some things.I would expect to have to earn some trust from people I just met.

Exactly.

A couple of you are hitting a sore spot - as one of those people who DOES post a lot, and welcomes all the newcomers (or I try to), and does try to respond to all the new show and tells - I don't do it for post count. I do it because I know what it feels like to not get responses, I have the time to do it, and I *like* to do it. Just wanted to point that out. Posting a lot isn't necessarily an indicator that I don't have anything useful or constructive to say. I just talk too much.

Thank you for saying that.

I too, do the same thing.

So in that there were quailty post and not just a race to get X amount. Meaning someone that have been around 3 months posting when they felt the need and didn't just post "great" ,"good", "nice work". The base thoguht is if you are willing to develope a "relationship" over a 3 month period there is no reason you should be able to make quaility post of say 100 in that time.

I didn't 'race' to get any amount of posts. I do however post "how beautiful" and the like in some posts because either it hadn't had many posts or I really like it but don't want others to feel less than because I don't beam as much over their projects.

Also some of us (a lot) came from the ezboard and we got to bring our post count with us which does make us look like post hounds on here. LOL

Yes you might have to wait a month or two, but if you want to commit to a swap, can't you (not you personally) commit to waiting a month or so.

Unless I misunderstand that, then actually no I can't wait.

I don't do swaps or wishlists now because our money situation. I've also not done any because I've been swamped with other stuff and recently with a broke finger. I've got birthdays and holidays all year long and those need seen to first.

However I could at any given time become comfortable enough to do one, or have a little time open to join in.

If I want to do a particular swap, how is it fair to tell me to wait and therefore miss out altogether.

Did that make sense? lol

I didn't join this board to get in swaps & didn't even know about them when I joined so I didn't wait with baited breath to get 40 posts so I could do them. I wanted to talk about a common hobby.Why is it such a awful thing to have people wait to be included in some things.I would expect to have to earn some trust from people I just met.

Same here. I didn't join to swap. I joined to talk about crocheting.

I'd prefer to see the number go to 100 rather than 40 plus having the time thing added. I'm okay with the welcome board not counting towards post count. However I think the OT one should continue to count. It's not all happy birthday, a lot of it is support and friendly get to know each other chatter. You get to know each other more from that than from commenting on each other's work, in my opinion, so why shouldn't that count.

Much as I hate having one more board, maybe add another subboard just for the birthdays and then have them not count. If possible.

Maybe not have the Q&A boards count. It takes nothing to go through those and reply "blue" "my mom" etc. Just a thought. ;)

hey I'm awake :lol ok barely...

I personally would not send a RAOK out to anyone on the hall of shame list. Even if I had went out and bought something, the minute someones name went to the hall of shame, I would find a new home for that item. If their name were removed later, then I would feel comfortable sending them a raok again. Thats just how I personally would handle it, yeah I'm a bit of a b*@%h i know this, but if someone flakes out on a swap, then they shouldn't be rewarded. The idea of the swap levels doesn't appeal to me, sure there are a TON of swaps that go on. I don't always have the money to participate, so since I'm not financially able to partciapate very often, I would have a very low level on the suggested "swap rating". Also requesting that your name only be given to someone with a particular rating or higher (swap rating that is, not a village level) on a RAOK list, sort of defeats the purpose of it being a random act of kindness, in theory its a good idea, but in schematics, its a little harsh. Perhaps my (and Crochet smartcat's) idea is a little harsh as well, but thats why its just ideas. I'm sure the moderators will give great thought before they do anything at all, just like they posted a poll and asked us all before they moved us from ezboard to here. If you think about it, with this being a free board, waiting the required amount of time, and getting the required amount of posts isn't much to ask. I have been a member of non crochet related boards, to where you had to be a paid member to particpate in any secret santa, or gift exchange. (and I am NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT suggesting that we start paying to be a member) we currently have: Members: 1,793 I remember over at ezboard, I got excited when it turned to like 500 or so?? perhaps it was 300?? so we are growing FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST and we need to change our format a bit to keep up, we are on fast tract to having population to not just be a village but a full blown city!! :lol Ok I've got to go and eat and get ready for work, but lets keep thinking about this. :think Sherry

PS: I do like the idea of taking the count meter off of birthdays and welcomes.....think of it this way, we should be posting there regardless if it counts or not, :blush I should be posting more there, but useally by time I roll around its the next day and one more welcome or happy birthday seems lost in the list...I'll do better though :hug

Time for my two cents. Short of standing over each and every swapper with a knitting needle ready to jab them if they flake out and cheat their partner, I don't see a 100% foolproof way to guarantee each person follows up on their obligation. A 1000 poster could just as easily fall out as a low poster. Perhaps in order to participate in a swap the new swapee should first be invited to help with a 'make up' package for someone who has been shortchanged. I know several non-swappers have already offered to do just that. It still doesn't mean a person won't later drop out, but it does show their heart is in the commitment to a swap.

Kathy

Just to add my 2 cents worth.

When I joined, I knew nothing of the swaps and such. I joined because I had just learned to crochet and I wanted to talk to others who crocheted and see their work. I've been on several craft boards and honestly, this one is the bestest ever!

I'm not a huge poster. But, I tend to read just about everything. I compulsively visit this board a bazillion times a day. In fact, I just got back from the Grand Teton National Monument and the first thing I did was check the board! It took me a while to reach even 40 posts.

I am currently particpating in my first swaps. Blue Squares (all done, just waiting till I can mail it, as I'm not supposed to till 8/20), Dishcloth (also done with all 10, just looking for a box to mail them in) and Autumn Secret Pals (again, looking for a box to send my first surprise off ). I'm a very fast crocheter, but getting to the post office is another matter!

Personally, I think the time factor is more secure than posts. When I decided to, I reached 40 posts in 2 days. But, this was after being a member for 2 months.

I never even thought about the safety issue (naive, aren't I?). I've not had a stalker come after me, but the Crochet Fairy has found me and left me fun things. Do I need to worry now? I'm not sure, but I don't feel like I need too.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. I think keeping the Hall of Shame, putting a time requirement of 2 months and keeping the 40 posts is a good way to help insure good swappers and safety for all.

A dedicated Stalker is going to bypass all this easily, but he/she/it would be dedicated enough to bypass whatever was in place. In that case, the only other option is to stop this, close the place down and be miserable. I prefer to not let someone ruin my fun, because then they win.

Oi..I think this is the longest post I've ever posted! Maybe we should get points for our longwinded posts. (JUST KIDDING!)

To those that started this board, THANK YOU!, to those who run this board, THANK YOU! May the Chocolate Fairy's car break down at your house on a hot day, and may she ask you to store her chocolate for her.

Thank you to everyone on this board.

I have read the discussion and have a few thoughts to add.

I am relatively new to this board. I was one that read all the posts and added a hello, or great job here and there. I made my 40 posts in a matter of days.

I like the idea of increasing the posts to 100 or so, and having some boards not count for a total. I don't think this would deter anyone from saying welcome, great job, or happy birthday. I know I would still do it, because that is how I am. Since I am new to crochet, sometimes it is challenging to help out others, so I post if I have a question or if I really have something to add. With this said, I would be happy to wait longer to get to a villager rating, as it would be a great way to learn new things and really get to know people.

I don't really care for the idea of having a rating for swaps. I would like to have it separated into direct and indirect swaps, especially for those that do not like to have their addresses given out. I haven't done a swap yet, mostly because I don't think I am good enough for it yet, but I would do a RAOK or a SP, because it isn't all related to my crochet ability and I can pick and do something that I can make really well.

I also know what my "life" responsibilities are and although I have wanted to join some of the activities, I also know what time I can commit to them now. I wouldn't sign up if I didn't have time or the money to do it.

Just my 2 cents. I hope that this will help the conversation. Thank you for listening (reading) my opinion.

Well, I read EACH & EVERY POST in this thread, so now, I guess I'll comment.

I am one of "those" people who posted my brains out the first few days after I joined Crochetville. Not because I wanted to join swaps. (I just joined my first one, the doily swap, and my doily will be mailed by the 20th!) I posted a LOT because I am a friendly person and I talk a LOT. I was curious and wanted to have access to reading about all that was going on, I've never been involved in any swaps of any kind and I was curious to know what it's all about. Also, I was anxious to "meet" people here and make some new friends.

You see, due to some health issues, I don't go out much and I'm pretty limited in my social life these days. In fact, not to be a downer, but I recently had a little bout with depression. I am telling this now, because I want it to be known that this group was so helpful to me. You all really helped, without even knowing it. :day I was absolutely thrilled when I found this place, as I know many of you were, too. I love Crochet and this group is the best! I guess my eagerness to participate may have been misunderstood:blush and I'm a bit embarrassed about that! I had no ill intent, I did not then, nor do I now wish to offend anyone.:ohdear

I understand some people's reluctance to have their information handed out to strangers. :( Unfortunately, there are some creeps out there.

I've been thinking that maybe one way of avoiding problems with people not keeping their commitments would be to make a rule that if a person has not participated in swaps before, they must mail their item first, before their partner does. Then, once the partner receives the item, the seasoned swapper would mail theirs out. It seems to me that in that instance if someone falls short on their commitment, they will not benefit from their partner's hard work without reciprocating. The person who did not send their swap could then have a little time to make good on their commitment and they could be placed on a "no swaps for you" list for a designated period .....Yes, life does happen and people have unexpected things come up, people sometimes get sick, etc..but, if they are well intentioned, they should be able to fulfill their commitment, given more time. :hook (That's it for my 2 cents.)

By the way, those of you who :flowerare moderators, have my sincere thanks and admiration. I think it's wonderful that you do this. You bring happiness to a lot of people. And for someone whose had challenges, this place can really make the difference between a good day and a bad one. :D

I'm not sure if this would help, but another message board (Slickdeals.net) that seems to use vBulletin has something called rep points. I've never admined a message board, but maybe this would eliminate any long-term additional work for mods? I'm really not all that familiar with them though.

Speaking of mods, I too would like to thank Donna and the other mods for their continual efforts. You guys do a great job!

What are reputation points and what are those green boxes under my username?

Every user starts with 10 reputation points. You can give other users rep points if you feel that the post has been helpful. Reputation points can only be given in the deal, freebie or help forums. The best way to accumulate rep points is by posting a good deal.

You can view the last 5 reputation points you have received in your usercp. The ones with green boxes count towards your score, while the gray ones are not. The points that count usually come from seasoned users.

Negative rep points are not allowed due to abuse but certain privileged users are able to give negative rep.

While you're not allowed to give negative points, you're still rating each other and in my opinion it comes down to kind of a popularity contest and those never ever work on message boards.

Besides it still doesn't guarantee someone will be a good swapper, not that anything does really.

I've read all the posts on this thread, so I feel that I can add my thoughts, too.

I like the time added to help ensure committment in swaps. I know that I'm personally guilty of discovering a new hobby, jumping in with both feet, only two discover a month down the road that it doesn't thrill me as much as I thought it would. I'm not saying that there's anyone else like that here, but there might be, and waiting a few months to participate wouldn't be asking too much, I don't think.

Even with more seasoned crocheters who have just found the board, I think that people would understand that it's important to show committment to the community (and Crochetville is a community, even though it's online!)

I don't think this should neccessarily apply to RAOKs, though, because that's totally voluntary on the sender's part. If you don't want to RAOK someone who has only been a member for 10 days but has the requisite number of posts, then you don't have to.

I love the Hall of Shame idea. I've always thought that public shaming was a very good deterrent. I will be thrilled if the list remains empty, but you can be sure that I will check it before I RAOK so much as a postcard. I don't think that's harsh, I think it's an easy way to encourage people to use politeness and common sense.

I wouldn't mind the "three months as a member" suggestion. It seems like a good way to make sure you know people better first before they can participate in swaps.

As for the "increasing number of posts" thing, I happen to think 100 posts is a little extreme. I personally do not post on every thread I read, even though I read nearly everything on this forum. I only post when I have questions or suggestions or am really, really impressed with someone's project. I don't post on threads where I can't really contribute anything. I'm sure I can't be the only one like this. Also, I am only able to post as much as I do because I have high-speed internet and can sign on to the forum at work. What about people who have slow internet, or are not able to come online as much? What about people who only have time to go online on the weekends? 100 posts to them would be a very long time. That being said, I do think 75 posts is reasonable.

Maybe we could do something like, "3 months or 75 posts, whichever takes longer."

When I reached 40 posts, I didn't go out and try to join every single swap, RAOK, etc. that was available on this forum. I still haven't joined any of those because I don't feel like I have the time to commit to them. My point here is that people who have good intentions about joining Crochetville are going to behave responsibly, and the people who (possibly) joined with not-so-good-intentions will still behave irresponsibly no matter what restrictions you put on them.

here is a suggestion also.. I know that when i first joined.. i wanted to do EVERYTHING.. and i bit off alittle more than i could chew ....

my suggestion as well as the time thing.. I think the time and post requirement is a very good one .. and not counting the "hi" "happy birthday " posts is a good idea.. but also..

when the person does reach the required time and posts.. limit them to ONE at first... say secret pal.. then as that one ends and it has gone well let them do two... say secret pal and one random swap .. if those go well .. then i would say they had proved themselves and you can let them do as they please..

in that .. it shows they are willing to stick around and show they will be (most likely) a good swap participant..

That sounds pretty reasonable, if the moderators over that area of the board are willing to do so. It is so easy to commit yourself to something, esp. on the internet, because it somehow doesn't seem "real". :eek

For those who have posted about making the 40 post quota quickly, I did not mean it to sound like everyone who makes the 40 posts quickly, are doing so just to join the swaps :hug I am very sorry if it seemed that way.

:morcoffee Sherry

I wouldn't mind the "three months as a member" suggestion. It seems like a good way to make sure you know people better first before they can participate in swaps.

As for the "increasing number of posts" thing, I happen to think 100 posts is a little extreme. I personally do not post on every thread I read, even though I read nearly everything on this forum. I only post when I have questions or suggestions or am really, really impressed with someone's project. I don't post on threads where I can't really contribute anything. I'm sure I can't be the only one like this. Also, I am only able to post as much as I do because I have high-speed internet and can sign on to the forum at work. What about people who have slow internet, or are not able to come online as much? What about people who only have time to go online on the weekends? 100 posts to them would be a very long time. That being said, I do think 75 posts is reasonable.

Maybe we could do something like, "3 months or 75 posts, whichever takes longer."

When I reached 40 posts, I didn't go out and try to join every single swap, RAOK, etc. that was available on this forum. I still haven't joined any of those because I don't feel like I have the time to commit to them. My point here is that people who have good intentions about joining Crochetville are going to behave responsibly, and the people who (possibly) joined with not-so-good-intentions will still behave irresponsibly no matter what restrictions you put on them.

Ditto. I joined just a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it here and although I don't post on everything I read almost all of it. I know I have good intentions and plan on sticking around here for a long time even if I don't post all the time. So, whatever is decided is fine but I hope you don't decide on the number of posts. I guess I just have to get over my shyness:) :)

Ditto. I joined just a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it here and although I don't post on everything I read almost all of it. I know I have good intentions and plan on sticking around here for a long time even if I don't post all the time. So, whatever is decided is fine but I hope you don't decide on the number of posts. I guess I just have to get over my shyness:) :)

psst think of it this way, noone here knows you so you can be as vocal or flamboyant as you want :lol I am WAY more outspoken on the 'net than I am in real life. :hug Welcome to the board! These gals and guys really know how to make you feel comfortable!!