Chiscrochetcrazy

Suggestion [more than 40 posts for wish list/swaps?]

To clearify I wasnt saying "happy birthdays" as such arent quaility post, but dont ya think "HI" is just too easy to reach if only number of post are a requirement? And I was in no way suggestting rating post. When I said quailty I only meant those that are more than a welcome. Its nice to praise someone for a job well done and granted these praises are not more than a couple of words but are indeed quailty post.

By setting the welcome forum as not coutning then it will do away with those easy post as a count. Oh well.... knew better than to say anything. :( Slinking off now!:blush

Absolutely! It has definietly happened. If I'm correct, the idea that this thread was started with was the fact that some people do not feel comfortable with their personal info going out to somebody who can register and rack up 40 posts in a day or two. For the swaps, that personal info might not be as much of an issue because you do not know who you will be paried up with. But for the wish list, once you are in, you can request anybody's info.

Exactly ;) I started to see this post become all about swaps and it wasn't intended to be !! I have not done a swap yet now a crocheted toy swap that would be for me :lol

I thought the whole idea of this thread was to get ideas of a workable solution to keep people from being let down in the major swaps (IE secret pal).
Actually I believe the idea that this thread was started with was the fact that some people do not feel comfortable with their personal info going out to somebody who can register and rack up 40 posts in a day or two. It has evolved into something more, but that is fine. These are all things that need to be discussed.

While it is indeed very disappointing to be let down in a major swap like Secret Pals, not everybody participates or wants to participate in Secret Pals. For those who prefer a simple dishcloth or scarf swap, being let down in those swaps can be very disappointing, too.

I can't give you an answer regarding the point system right now. We need more discussion on it and also input from the other admins.

If you don't complete a certain swap then you are knocked down a peg or two, not that much different from being put on the hall of shame.
That is part of my reluctance. If it is not that different, then why invest so much time and effort into a system that could be more easily and quickly done with the Hall of Shame? I'm not ruling it out, I just want more discussion of the pros and cons.

I think this system shows more of a reliability factor than a length of time or number of posts, neither of which really show how committed you are to swapping. I honestly think I can find 4-5 swaps to participate in before getting a secret pal and knowing that my secret pal has done the same has a little more confidence tied to it.
Yes, it would be more reliable than number of posts or length of time, but I already said that number of posts/length of time did not guarantee a good swapper. It is more geared towards people being comfortable sharing their personal info with somebody they feel they know a little better and has stuck around longer.

To clearify I wasnt saying "happy birthdays" as such arent quaility post, but dont ya think "HI" is just too easy to reach if only number of post are a requirement? And I was in no way suggestting rating post. When I said quailty I only meant those that are more than a welcome. Its nice to praise someone for a job well done and granted these praises are not more than a couple of words but are indeed quailty post.

By setting the welcome forum as not coutning then it will do away with those easy post as a count. Oh well.... knew better than to say anything. :( Slinking off now!:blush

You didn't mention rating posts, I did, when I asked you to clarify! Because I was not sure what you meant. It is all my fault! :blush:lol

:oops I haven't done a swap yet so this wasn't meant to be only about swaps. I don't want someone who just hopped in here for a day getting all my personal info :eek Yes it applies to swaps as well certainly.

Alright everyone! We're trying to solve a problem like adults so lets not all go getting our feelings hurt an' gettin' all riled up :hook

I absolutly HAVE to get out of here and start dinner but I wanted to say;

This place still ROCKS.

I have to get out of here, too. Dinner calls!

I have been trying like crazy to keep up with all the questions here. I hope I have answered everybody. Gotta go, but I will be back later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crochet smartcat

If you don't complete a certain swap then you are knocked down a peg or two, not that much different from being put on the hall of shame.

That is part of my reluctance. If it is not that different, then why invest so much time and effort into a system that could be more easily and quickly done with the Hall of Shame? I'm not ruling it out, I just want more discussion of the pros and cons.

The real difference is that the system is just straight record keeping and actually would not be much work, probably less work than some of the other solutions proposed here that the admins and moderators would have to monitor and change board posts. And the difference from the hall of shame would be there is a way to get out of dun territory, and you are showing a reliablity factor. I would feel better about having my address given to someone who has competed a few swaps than someone who has just posted 40 times (not saying that people that post 40 times aren't trustworthy people).

And as it has been pointed out if someone has your city (and alot of us have our city's posted in our profile) and your name, they can find you through the internet these days. If you are paranoid of people having your address, you can always get a po box.

This is not a guarantee for the RAOK list, it is just a way to help keep some of the heartbreak abay on the swaps. Maybe when you submit your name and address for the RAOK, you can specify what level of c'ville person you want your address released to. (IE level 2 swapper, 140 posts, etc) Though I think this may create more headaches for the moderator.

Anyways, I'm rambling and will quit now.

cajunwhacko: I think they should have different levels of swaps, and each swap counts for x number of points, and then you get points for each swap you successfully complete and have to have x to get into the upper level swaps aka secret pals

cajunwhacko: it'd make some more work, but I'd be willing to help if needbe (once I"m better)

cajunwhacko: all you'd really have to do is keep a running tally for each person, and they wouldn't add that many points/swaps whatever that often for that many people

cajunwhacko: because the way I figure it, having your partner in a bookmark swap (for example) not follow through is a lot less painful than a secret pal

cajunwhacko: it still sucks but not as bad

cajunwhacko: like, bookmarks, ornaments, etc, first tier, doilies maybe second tier, secret swaps third

cajunwhacko: socks or slippers would go second, etc

cajunwhacko: and that way it gives people the chance to try out a swap without having to commit to something big first

cajunwhacko: and they can try one out without committing and failing at something big

cajunwhacko: and if they fall through, you either take points away or start them at zero again or something

cajunwhacko: I'd have to look at the list of swaps more, but based on level of work involved/intensity they'd be put in their different categories... like 2 points bottom tier, 5 pts second tier, 10 points top tier

cajunwhacko: or 2, 10, 15 or something, so it's like 5 tea/bookmark swaps for a sock swap, then two of those for a secret pal, and you have to keep following through or you lose points and drop down again

cajunwhacko: you'd at least have to drop down one tier so you had to build back up with lower swaps to regain the privilege

cajunwhacko: and with the way some people do swaps, it wouldn't take so long to work up to secret pals

cajunwhacko: but they'd have to keep following through

cajunwhacko: no matter how many they're doing

cajunwhacko: with this way instead of putting "bad swapper" under usernames, they can put, villager, level 3 swapper, level 1 swapper, or tier 1 tier 2

cajunwhacko: that doesn't have as harsh a connotation as bad swapper but you know how involved they are with the swaps, and if someone drops down believe me people will notice

I like the way this system sounds, but have a few questions. What about those who don't make doilies or socks. Would their access to participating in SP be denied? Some things that might be considered "lower tier" might be things I've never made, or not interested in making. (did I say this so that it made sense?)

I just wouldn't want to be stuck on a "lower tier" because I don't make certain things.:hook

So then a person who has hundreds of posts are the good people and the ones with a few are the bad people....hmmmmmmmm

I like the way this system sounds, but have a few questions. What about those who don't make doilies or socks. Would their access to participating in SP be denied? Some things that might be considered "lower tier" might be things I've never made, or not interested in making. (did I say this so that it made sense?)

I just wouldn't want to be stuck on a "lower tier" because I don't make certain things.:hook

There are soo many things that are swapped, that I think everyone could find things to do. There are hat, scarf, yarn, bookmark, and soo many more. I really don't think that anyone would have trouble finding swaps to participate in. Yes you might have to wait a month or two, but if you want to commit to a swap, can't you (not you personally) commit to waiting a month or so. I think it could be worked out in a way acceptable to most people (I won't say everyone, cause someone wise once said you can't please everyone all the time).

You certainly cannot know who's good or bad from how many post someone has or for that matter how many swaps they've done. The reason for the number is if someone's up to no good they probably wouldn't bother to post that much. I think it should be a number & a length of time together.

So then a person who has hundreds of posts are the good people and the ones with a few are the bad people....hmmmmmmmm
No, no! :P I already said that's not true. I think it's just the idea that if somebody is new, you don't know who they are, anything about them. While a person's number of posts or amount of time registered at the board doesn't translate to goodness or badness, it does make people more comfortable on some level. It is our nature as human beings.

If the whole thread was started because someone was concerned with her information being given to someone who might have ill intent toward her, what would stop someone who was here for a year with thousands of posts from being a psycho or going into some weird stalker mode?

It seems odd to assume the best of anyone at all if you're going to assume the worst of people who only just found out about this place or doesn't have countless hours of internet time to be chatty.

I don't think post count should have anything to do with anything, or for that matter, time limit.

If someone bails on a swap, she should get negative feedback and not be allowed to be in any more swaps until she makes it right.

As for the RAOK, you only post to the wish list if you want something. Right? Maybe it's just a postcard because you like getting mail, but you still want something. So, if you want something, you should be willing to receive it from anyone, not just someone who has been here for a year and has more than a certain amount of posts.

Because like I mentioned above, it seems wrong to assume the worst of someone who may not live on the internet and assume the best of someone who does. Either one of us could be crazy and either one of us could be perfectly nice and responsible.

Come on everybody, remember when you first joined and you couldnt wait to get 40 posts so that you could join in on the fun too? No One was complaining about this then...So why now. Everyone here was new at one time or another :hook

This post raises some great points. I like the idea of more posts AND 3 months membership before able to join swaps, wishlists, etc. Although 100 posts seems a lot, it really isn't and in 3 months, 100 posts can be obtained quite easily. I vote for 100 posts AND 3 months membership, if there is to be a vote.

Regarding Wishlists and who can/can't participate, that's a tough one to keep reigns on. Why couldn't the same rules apply as for swaps? Why not 100 posts/3 month membership? If they are serious about this forum and the group, then it shouldn't be such a hardship. Maybe there could be a list for public viewing for all to see. That way, new members could see the swaps coming up near the end of their 3 month trial and begin working on projects in advance of a swap they are planning on joining. They could get a jump on the projects while waiting.

The real difference is that the system is just straight record keeping and actually would not be much work, probably less work than some of the other solutions proposed here that the admins and moderators would have to monitor and change board posts.

If I hadn't had much experience in this type of thing I would say, yeah, straight record keeping is no problem. But I have and I know that it becomes a pain in the a**. The other solutions -- increasing post count, setting a minimum amount of time registered, making posts in certain forums not count -- are no work at all for the admins. There would be absolutely no monitoring nor changing of posts--I cannot emphasize that enough--we would not tinker around changing stuff that has already been counted. These are simple settings in the admin panel that, for example, calculate the amount of time a person has been registered, or, for another example, do not count posts that anybody has made in a certain forum. We would not be going a back and taking posts away. This would all be from the time the decision is made going forward.

And the difference from the hall of shame would be there is a way to get out of dun territory, and you are showing a reliablity factor.
The Hall of Shame is not permanent. You can get out of it. Just because someone is in the Hall of Shame does not mean their name will be up there forever.

This is not a guarantee for the RAOK list, it is just a way to help keep some of the heartbreak abay on the swaps. Maybe when you submit your name and address for the RAOK, you can specify what level of c'ville person you want your address released to. (IE level 2 swapper, 140 posts, etc) Though I think this may create more headaches for the moderator.
Yeah, this would be a bit much. The RAOK moderators already have a lot to do. That is why we need an automated system to decide who can see the RAOK forum and who can't. While I concede that post count and time registered are not ideal, they are what is available to us without spending hours and hours on lists and points.

Let's not pick nits about why this thread was started. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that feel the same way as Alisha, but haven't said anything. Not only that, but we have been having problems with delinquent swappers for some time and it is good that this discussion has come up. I am NOT saying that having a post/time requirement will stop delinquent swappers. I am saying that all of the things being brought up in this thread needed discussing.

We set the 40 post minimum a long time ago and we are not decreasing it. So end of discussion on that. The question is do we want to add to it. At some forums these decisions would be made by the admins without input from the members. Around here, we do care what you guys think. However, no decision we make will please everybody. That is impossible. So, in the end, somebody is going to be unhappy with the way things are set up. There is no getting around that.

I also wanted to note, for those of you that do not frequent other forums, that it is very common to have to achieve a certain number of posts and/or be registered for a certain amount of time in order to have certain priviledges or to have access to certain forums. It's not something we made up uniquely here at Crochetville.

I didn't join this board to get in swaps & didn't even know about them when I joined so I didn't wait with baited breath to get 40 posts so I could do them. I wanted to talk about a common hobby.Why is it such a awful thing to have people wait to be included in some things.I would expect to have to earn some trust from people I just met.

Let's not pick nits about why this thread was started. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that feel the same way as Alisha, but haven't said anything. Not only that, but we have been having problems with delinquent swappers for some time and it is good that this discussion has come up. I am NOT saying that having a post/time requirement will stop delinquent swappers. I am saying that all of the things being brought up in this thread needed discussing.

We set the 40 post minimum a long time ago and we are not decreasing it. So end of discussion on that. The question is do we want to add to it. At some forums these decisions would be made by the admins without input from the members. Around here, we do care what you guys think. However, no decision we make will please everybody. That is impossible. So, in the end, somebody is going to be unhappy with the way things are set up. There is no getting around that.

Thanks :hug I was beggining to feel like I made a major mistake posting this.

The idea of a certain # of posts (and length of membership) would primarily be a way of maintaining some amount of privacy for members, correct? I think this is a good solution for that purpose.

Joe-Schmoe could join one day, post 40 times and then request any number of names for the Wishlist. If he has 40 posts he gets the info. Asking Joe to be a member for 2/3 months requires commitment and presumes he'll read the posts, respond to posts and become one of our "family" members. This in turn will give other participants a small sense of security that their info is not readily available to just anyone. And we get to know Joe a little in the process.

As far as the swaps go. This would provide that sense of security about your info but also that this person has a sincere interest in the group as a whole and intends to hold up their end of the swap. That they feel there is a responsibility on their part to come through for their friends here.

I don't think this penalizes new members. Once they make it to the specified time this whole system will no longer matter. And besides we're well worth the wait.:)

As far as cutting down on the number of swappers that flake out I don't know how much this will help. I imagine there are as many established members flaking out as new members. I'd like to see a bad swapper kept from participating for a certain amount of time. And for that matter I think they should also have to come through on the swap they fell through with. A bad swapper label is also a good idea. The swapper has to wear it for a set amount of time. Are those things possibly without having to have an admin. continuously monitor each person to make sure that the label comes off at the right time?

This thing is 8 pages! I know I should read them all before submitting, but I read the last few and what Donna said about not everyone being happy about the final decision is true. So how about a poll? One for a minimum number of posts (say, 40 or 75 or 100) another for minimum membership time (one month, three months, etc.) before a person gets priviledges, that way those of us who are dedicated to the site will feel safer. Just a question, though - why the sudden safety issues? I mean, I've been around a couple months and I haven't seen anyone get stupid on the forum. And if you're talking about flakers in the swaps, dedication to the website will be no indicator as to whether or not someone will not come through. That's why I haven't signed up - I can't positively commit myself to sending packages on time although I love this site!

This thing is 8 pages! I know I should read them all before submitting, but I read the last few and what Donna said about not everyone being happy about the final decision is true. So how about a poll? One for a minimum number of posts (say, 40 or 75 or 100) another for minimum membership time (one month, three months, etc.) before a person gets priviledges, that way those of us who are dedicated to the site will feel safer. Just a question, though - why the sudden safety issues? I mean, I've been around a couple months and I haven't seen anyone get stupid on the forum. And if you're talking about flakers in the swaps, dedication to the website will be no indicator as to whether or not someone will not come through. That's why I haven't signed up - I can't positively commit myself to sending packages on time although I love this site!

It's not a sudden concern has been all along just never felt comfortable saying so. Sometimes we take precautions in life that doesn't mean bad things won't happen but we still try to be careful.Would you put your name address phone number and a map to your house with pics of your kids and their names on your blog. Maybe bad things will never happen & then again you can take all the precautions in the world and something could still happen.