Chiscrochetcrazy

Suggestion [more than 40 posts for wish list/swaps?]

I agree, Kari. If people would just contact their swap coordinators and tell them what is going on, it would be so much more acceptable. Usually we hear nothing until the swap is over or nearly over and the partner has not received anything.

If you can be barred from swaps but not wish list and some see that as being unfair how bout a label? Keep membership status, ban from swaps and have below their username (where membership status is) have something like "bad swapper" or something....

Like I said, I'm being harsh, but it is an idea to throw out in the midst.

We potentially could ban people from both swaps and the wish list, it's just that it gets more complicated with the wish list. I know you know this already, but I'll go over it for the sake of everybody just so we all know the logistics...

In order for people to join a swap, they have to be added by the swap coordinator, who can easily look at the list of bad swappers and refuse them. With the wish list, so many people are sending things out at various and unknown times that the banned people could go on receiving things and we would never know it.

Having a "bad swapper" type of subtitle is a possibility. Indeed harsh, but we do need to do something about these swap problems. I'd be interested to hear what others think of this. One question: if we were to institute a "bad swapper" subtitle, would it stay on for a specified period of time, or would there be an alternate way to clear one's name (such as amending for the failed swap)?

I think there's a difference between swapping and the Wishlist. The wishlist is set up purely as a voluntary thing. It's supposed to be for Random Acts of Kindness. I don't think there is any reason (other than protecting members addresses) that a person should be prevented from participating in the Wishlist. The wishlists are supposed to be about the giving not about who is receiving. Do we really want to say "Ok no one is to gift this person with an RAOK because s/he didn't fulfill their obligation to so and so."? There are NO obligations in the Wishlist so I don't think we should prevent participation based on the obligations of other programs.
Very good point, Stacy. This is a big reason we (the admins and mods) decided to keep the swaps and wish lists separate, but it's been a while since we had that discussion, so I forgot to mention it. Thank you for reminding me.

In my past board experiences where previlages were granted to those that have "stuck around"....The number post was secondary to senoirity. So in that there were quailty post and not just a race to get X amount. Meaning someone that have been around 3 months posting when they felt the need and didn't just post "great" ,"good", "nice work". The base thoguht is if you are willing to develope a "relationship" over a 3 month period there is no reason you should be able to make quaility post of say 100 in that time. Not sure about this forum format, but IPB you can set where people get credit for posting. So that they aren't getting credit for saying "hi" in the welcoming area, and in the chatty area. Only those post that are "subject/quaility" post count.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but we can set it so that posts in certain forums do not count towards a person's total post count. Or do you mean that other members would actually rate the posts for quality? We do have the option here of rating threads (it is currently turned off) but not of rating individual posts.

I have to admit that I think the subtitle thing is a little harsh ... BUT I think maybe if you did that, then I think there should be a way of clearing their name.

For me personally, I'd be satisfied with an apology, MAILED to me (not posted, not emailed, but sent in snail mail), with delivery confirmation so that both the coordinators and the shorted swapper would know that they were trying to rectify things. I don't mind the not getting "things;" my issue is with the lack of effort to take responsibility and just say look, I couldn't follow through, I'm sorry. I definitely understand that life happens (and that seems to be a running theme, I think we all do!).

I agree with Stacy about the wishlists. To add to that, IF they are still getting things from it, then the "heaping coals of fire on their head" thing comes to mind, too. I think we're losing sight of why they were implemented in the first place. Besides, IF we do the subtitle thing, anyone who goes to their wish list will see that anyway.

As someone who posts Hi's in the Intro area, says Happy Bday to everyone and posts alot of "goods", "gorgeous", and "great work" posts I'd have to say I don't like having post counts be the deciding factor for swaps. It leads to people pondering the more chatter folks :blush as maybe boosting post counts...

I definatly don't like the rating posts or threads aspect at all... that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms in itself.

About the Bad Swapper label, I think if it was for a specific time... Although ammeding the swap would be a good thing too... I will be interested in seeing others opinions..

Not sure if this is what you mean, but we can set it so that posts in certain forums do not count towards a person's total post count. Or do you mean that other members would actually rate the posts for quality? We do have the option here of rating threads (it is currently turned off) but not of rating individual posts.

Yes your first sentence is what I mean. Because anyone can go through the welcome area and in less that 5 minutes have 40 post. You see? I have been to forums where post that were not worthy were "rolled back" (manually, thru admin C-panel).... but thats a pain in the hiney, too much work.

I definatly don't like the rating posts or threads aspect at all... that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms in itself.
I don't like the idea of having a rating system for threads either, and I don't intend to turn it on because I don't want to create animosity here. Just wanted to clarify what Cordelia meant.

As someone who posts Hi's in the Intro area, says Happy Bday to everyone and posts alot of "goods", "gorgeous", and "great work" posts I'd have to say I don't like having post counts be the deciding factor for swaps. It leads to people pondering the more chatter folks :blush as maybe boosting post counts...
If we did make certain forums not count toward the total post count (say in forums such as Introduce Yourself and OT) then the "hellos" and "happy birthdays" wouldn't count anyway and thus couldn't be viewed as boosting post count. Just a thought.

If we did make certain forums not count toward the total post count (say in forums such as Introduce Yourself and OT) then the "hellos" and "happy birthdays" wouldn't count anyway and thus couldn't be viewed as boosting post count. Just a thought.

I myself, think thats a great idea.

cajunwhacko: I think they should have different levels of swaps, and each swap counts for x number of points, and then you get points for each swap you successfully complete and have to have x to get into the upper level swaps aka secret pals

cajunwhacko: it'd make some more work, but I'd be willing to help if needbe (once I"m better)

cajunwhacko: all you'd really have to do is keep a running tally for each person, and they wouldn't add that many points/swaps whatever that often for that many people

cajunwhacko: because the way I figure it, having your partner in a bookmark swap (for example) not follow through is a lot less painful than a secret pal

cajunwhacko: it still sucks but not as bad

cajunwhacko: like, bookmarks, ornaments, etc, first tier, doilies maybe second tier, secret swaps third

cajunwhacko: socks or slippers would go second, etc

cajunwhacko: and that way it gives people the chance to try out a swap without having to commit to something big first

cajunwhacko: and they can try one out without committing and failing at something big

cajunwhacko: and if they fall through, you either take points away or start them at zero again or something

cajunwhacko: I'd have to look at the list of swaps more, but based on level of work involved/intensity they'd be put in their different categories... like 2 points bottom tier, 5 pts second tier, 10 points top tier

cajunwhacko: or 2, 10, 15 or something, so it's like 5 tea/bookmark swaps for a sock swap, then two of those for a secret pal, and you have to keep following through or you lose points and drop down again

cajunwhacko: you'd at least have to drop down one tier so you had to build back up with lower swaps to regain the privilege

cajunwhacko: and with the way some people do swaps, it wouldn't take so long to work up to secret pals

cajunwhacko: but they'd have to keep following through

cajunwhacko: no matter how many they're doing

cajunwhacko: with this way instead of putting "bad swapper" under usernames, they can put, villager, level 3 swapper, level 1 swapper, or tier 1 tier 2

cajunwhacko: that doesn't have as harsh a connotation as bad swapper but you know how involved they are with the swaps, and if someone drops down believe me people will notice

This is a copy of the conversation we had about this post, but at this point she didn't feel up to posting herself. She did offer to oversee/admin this kind of a system if it is decided that this kind of accounting would work for the swaps, once she is better in a couple of months. She would be able to help get this system up and running and be able to use current swaps for starting totals.

I really like this idea and think if there was a separate admin to just track this, then when a swap is organized the swap coordinator could email the list to the tally coordinator at the beginning and end of the swap. Anyone who signed up without the proper number of points would be sent an email explaining that they have not accumulated enough points to participate in that particular swap. I think this could work if someone not associated with the individual swaps could organize and manage it.

Great Idea Donna

Oiy. I think that sounds like a lot of work - I think *maybe* it might be worthwhile to have someone complete one of the indirect swaps (where you swap through a liason/coordinator, such as dishcloths, squares, ornaments, bookmarks etc) before hitting the direct swaps (where you send directly to a recipient - yarn, doily, SP etc) first, but I think implementing a point system as well as several levels is overkill (personally). At least if someone bails on the indirect swap someone else isn't getting directly shorted.

JMO.

The post count thing - I really don't think is that big a deal. I would be inclined to maybe go to the length of time criterion instead.

I swap here and there and I don't think I like the idea of tiers and being rated based on what swaps I participate in. I mean what if the only swaps I want to participate in are the Secret Pals and I'm a great partner, am I not going to be allowed to because I don't want to swap socks?

I don't think I understand the post rating thing. A person would be allowed into swaps only after they post so many times but those posts cannot include "Hi", "Nice afghan" or "Happy Birthday"'s? What will they include? Who will be checking the posts to make sure they fill the requirements of a quality post?

I agree, the swap point rating system sound like an awful lot of work. I appreciate Anne volunteering to do it, but there is definitely a point where everybody burns out and then somebody else would have to take it over and that would probably be difficult.

Also who is to say that its just the people with the least amount of post that are the ones who dis people in the swaps. Im sure there had to have been someone who did not finish an obligation and they had more than 100 posts?

I think *maybe* it might be worthwhile to have someone complete one of the indirect swaps (where you swap through a liason/coordinator, such as dishcloths, squares, ornaments, bookmarks etc) before hitting the direct swaps (where you send directly to a recipient - yarn, doily, SP etc) first, but I think implementing a point system as well as several levels is overkill (personally). At least if someone bails on the indirect swap someone else isn't getting directly shorted.
This idea does have merit, but there are some issues with it. First, there is not always an indirect swap going on. Also, I know from my personal perspective that I'm not always interested in what is being swapped at a particular time. For example, if the current indirect swap is bookmarks, maybe I hate making bookmarks (that's not true, I love making bookmarks :D just a hypothetical example).

I don't think I understand the post rating thing. A person would be allowed into swaps only after they post so many times but those posts cannot include "Hi", "Nice afghan" or "Happy Birthday"'s? What will they include? Who will be checking the posts to make sure they fill the requirements of a quality post?
We are not going to do a post rating thing. (Eeek, I shouldn't have even brought that up! :sweat) Here is how what we are talking about would work. For each forum, in the admin control panel, the admins can set many, many options. One of those option is: "Count Posts Made in this Forum Towards User Post Counts" -- that can be set ot "yes" or "no." Currently it is set to "yes" for every forum. In certain forums, such as Introcude Yourself or Off Topic Conversations, that option could be set to "no" and none of the posts anybody makes in that forum would be counted towards their User Post Count. There will be no manual rating of posts or threads!! Again, sorry I even mentioned that! I do not want to get people riled up.

lol I just read that too. I was thinking "Aww she's so cute!!! Look at her all giddy because someone sent her yarn."

Also who is to say that its just the people with the least amount of post that are the ones who dis people in the swaps. Im sure there had to have been someone who did not finish an obligation and they had more than 100 posts?
Absolutely! It has definietly happened. If I'm correct, the idea that this thread was started with was the fact that some people do not feel comfortable with their personal info going out to somebody who can register and rack up 40 posts in a day or two. For the swaps, that personal info might not be as much of an issue because you do not know who you will be paried up with. But for the wish list, once you are in, you can request anybody's info.

We are not going to do a post rating thing. (Eeek, I shouldn't have even brought that up! :sweat) Here is how what we are talking about would work. For each forum, in the admin control panel, the admins can set many, many options. One of those option is: "Count Posts Made in this Forum Towards User Post Counts" -- that can be set ot "yes" or "no." Currently it is set to "yes" for every forum. In certain forums, such as Introcude Yourself or Off Topic Conversations, that option could be set to "no" and none of the posts anybody makes in that forum would be counted towards their User Post Count. There will be no manual rating of posts or threads!! Again, sorry I even mentioned that! I do not want to get people riled up.

I'm not riled, lol. I just didn't understand it. Seemed like a lot of work that wouldn't necessarily make that much difference. I'm glad we're not doing it.

Would ya look at me butting my nose in all over the place today, lol! I feel like a Chatty Cathy.

I think length of time is a better marking point than a post count (whether or not you count certain forums). Someone who is more chatty could have 5 or 6 responses in a thread (like this one) while someone else might just contribute one. I think that staying power is a better yard stick than chattiness, personally, lol.

I'm not riled, lol. I just didn't understand it. Seemed like a lot of work that wouldn't necessarily make that much difference. I'm glad we're not doing it.
Oh, good! :whew And although you might not be, somebody else could be and is just not saying it! :P

I really don't think the tier/points system would be that difficult to maintain once it was set up. Those of you who already participate in swaps would not have to start from scratch, this is pertaining to new members or those people who have not participated in swaps before (of whom I am one).

It would be a simple system, you have to do so many indirect swaps to do a direct swap and then so many direct swaps to have a secret pal. I thought the whole idea of this thread was to get ideas of a workable solution to keep people from being let down in the major swaps (IE secret pal).

If you don't complete a certain swap then you are knocked down a peg or two, not that much different from being put on the hall of shame.

I think this system shows more of a reliability factor than a length of time or number of posts, neither of which really show how committed you are to swapping. I honestly think I can find 4-5 swaps to participate in before getting a secret pal and knowing that my secret pal has done the same has a little more confidence tied to it.