Chiscrochetcrazy

Suggestion [more than 40 posts for wish list/swaps?]

Ok I couldn't really find the right spot for this so I put it here. Well I actually put it under the sensitive off topic but it got lost in the mix or ignored who knows :lol

I'm wondering if I'm alone on this but I think I'm not. I personally think 40 post just aren't enough for people to have access to the wishlist and well I've never done swaps but for those too, maybe this is why I'm hesitant to do 1. I think it should be more like 100 or 150 maybe to be able to have access to that area.Less than 40 no way if you come here only to do swaps and get on the wishlist well that's a little odd to me. This is just my opinion but I think having your address available to people is a little weird when someone could post 40 times in a day or 2.Not to mention for swaps they could join get their stuff never to be seen again.Anyway just some thoughts I realize this is probably considered a little harsh to some but it's not meant to be at all.

It wasn't ignored, I saw it. :) Faith voiced similar concerns in that same thread and I posted a short reply here. I was just giving it more thought before I responded in more detail. My first thought is that if somebody really wanted to get in, there is nothing stopping them from making 100 or 150 posts in a day or a few days either. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

If someone makes 100 or 150 posts in a day and then signs up for a swap or wish list ... that'd be a biiiig red flag for me. Heck, it took me several weeks to even reach 40 posts (mostly because I only posted when I actually had something to say; I know, if I had posted a one word congratulations on every Show and Tell post I'd have gotten there instantly). Honestly I think there is no easy answer here. I've heard of at least one instance where someone who has been around for quite a while apparently just bailed in the middle of a swap/exchange, so neither posts nor longevity seems to be a really good indicator. HOWEVER with that said ... I think 100 posts might be better than 40, and a swap coordinator might want to keep a close eye on someone who joined on 8/1, got their 100 posts by 8/2, and immediately signed up for several swaps. Yeah, I know, you guys didn't have enough to do already *ducks and runs*

i've been on here for alittle over 2 months now (i think) and im still trying to reach 40. but then again like said before i dont put one word replys to everything.

its a tough call to make!

i guess a good question to ask yourself is how many people join the swaps, and how many drop out? and of those that drop out, how many have just reached 40 posts or even 100 posts? just some ideas.....

It wasn't ignored, I saw it. :) Faith voiced similar concerns in that same thread and I posted a short reply here. I was just giving it more thought before I responded in more detail. My first thought is that if somebody really wanted to get in, there is nothing stopping them from making 100 or 150 posts in a day or a few days either. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

*ducking* is there any way to limit the boards by length of membership?? such as 40 posts AND 3 months of usage?? Which would both meet the post quota, and be around for a while. I'm not sure how the board works that way (or if thats too long of a time or too short of a time) But it seems like a fair thing to be a member for a certian amount of time, AND post a certian amount of posts (that way you don't have someone join, post one post then wait for their time quota, and you don't have people who join post 40 posts in one day and meet their post quota) I am up way past my bedtime now, so I'm probally rambling so I'll leave yall to think on that, and go catch some ZZZzzzzzzZZZ's since I have to be at work at 10pm and its after noon now :eek

:manyheart Sherry

Well swaps I have no clue about since like I said I've not done one yet ;) As far as the wishlist I was really hesitant to put up a list in the first place and so to me someone who puts up a list the minute they get 40 post is something that kinda makes me scratch my head.I realize any suggestion would be more work for the admins and of course I'm not suggesting that someone who has allready joined or just got their 40 should be kept out. If it were to change then it should be diff for any new members that joined after a change.

Maybe the answer is to base their ability to participate on the number of posts and how long they have been here. Minimum 40 posts and 3 months. That would show that they are here to contribute and participate. I agree that people can accumulate alot of posts in just a couple days by replying to the introductions, b-day wishes, show and tells, etc. and maybe basing it on only posts is not the best way and basing it on how long they have been here isn't tried and true either, cause you could join, and never come back till your 3-month anniversary. I don't think the time should be more than 3 months, because that is penalizing newcomers. Also 100 or more posts might be kind of high for those of us who only post when we have something constructive to add.

You posted exactly what I have been thinking. I have participated in 1 swap and it went very well but I think more than 40 posts is a good idea. :)

Ok I couldn't really find the right spot for this so I put it here. Well I actually put it under the sensitive off topic but it got lost in the mix or ignored who knows :lol

I'm wondering if I'm alone on this but I think I'm not. I personally think 40 post just aren't enough for people to have access to the wishlist and well I've never done swaps but for those too, maybe this is why I'm hesitant to do 1. I think it should be more like 100 or 150 maybe to be able to have access to that area.Less than 40 no way if you come here only to do swaps and get on the wishlist well that's a little odd to me. This is just my opinion but I think having your address available to people is a little weird when someone could post 40 times in a day or 2.Not to mention for swaps they could join get their stuff never to be seen again.Anyway just some thoughts I realize this is probably considered a little harsh to some but it's not meant to be at all.

I'm glad to hear your opinions on this! It is good to have member input on this type of thing, partly because we admins have received quite a bit of flak in the past for being too harsh by making the 40-post minimum. If it comes from the membership, then it is more than the admins just being big meanies. :D

Yes, it would be very easy to add a time component (minimum number of days registered) to the requirements of obtaining Villager status. Those who have already become Villagers would not be affected because they have already received the promotion.

I want to be clear that these requirements would be only for the sake of privacy. That is, ensuring that members have posted a certain amount and been around for a while before they participate (that is, receive others' personal info) in the swaps and wish list. It would not ensure that they would be good swappers or wouldn't bail on a swap. We have found many times over that the amount of participation someone has here at the board does not necessarly indicate whether they are going to be a good swap partner or whether they will flake out or bail.

While I agree that there should be a limit of posts as to who can participate in the swaps I disagree that it should be above 100. I do however really like the aspect of length of membership to the board that way people like me who may not post that much but still log in everyday and still want to do swaps can do so.

I though I might make some people mad for posting it so I was very hesitant glad you like to hear our suggestions Donna :hug I also agree that just because someones been around awhile doesn't mean they won't bail on a swap or that they would be a good Raoker but if they were to bail they'd be called on it and have more to lose since they have been around awhile.The shame factor is much worse when you know the people better.

I though I might make some people mad for posting it so I was very hesitant glad you like to hear our suggestions Donna :hug
I am glad you brought this up. It has been touched on briefly before, but essentially got lost in other discussion.

The shame factor is much worse when you know the people better.
Especially now that we have the Hall of Shame. Before, only the admins and swap organizers knew about people who didn't hold up their end of the bargain. It was clear that it wasn't going to get better unless some drastic measures were taken.

I think Donna and the rest of the gang are doing a really great job here. I agree with Donna that if someone wants to be included in one of the swaps or wish list they can post till their hearts content to get there, this does not mean that they may pose a danger to someone they could just want to be included in all the fun we are having. We all were beginers once.

Ive seen some really nice work people have been showing and they just joined with only a few posts to their name.

Anyone on this internet can gain access to your address. There are maps that if you put in an address it will show exactly where you live and how to get there. I have seen this with my own eyes. I was dumbfounded and couldnt believe it but it is happening.

A suggestion I have is that maybe during swaps and wish lists, etc that all those with 40 to 150 posts only swap with each other. Or during the survey for them there can be a section that you do not wish to swap with someone with less than 150 posts etc...

In regards to off topic posts I feel that there is nothing wrong with people sharing their problems or thoughts. Some people are lonely and have no one else to talk with or dont know where to turn for help or need someones opinion. If people dont like these topics they dont have to read them or reply to them and keeping them from non registered guests is great.

Now mind you this is just an OPINION my :2c:hook

I think that the time component suggestion is a good one. I think 3 months may be a little long; I'd probably aim for 1 or 2.

A couple of you are hitting a sore spot - as one of those people who DOES post a lot, and welcomes all the newcomers (or I try to), and does try to respond to all the new show and tells - I don't do it for post count. I do it because I know what it feels like to not get responses, I have the time to do it, and I *like* to do it. Just wanted to point that out. Posting a lot isn't necessarily an indicator that I don't have anything useful or constructive to say. ;) I just talk too much. :lol

Back to the original topic - I think that 40 posts (I understand your reasons for that number, Donna, and concede that they're reasonable :D) and a 'get to know you' period is good. I'd probably go with 2 months.

Maybe a suggestion for those that duck out on swaps. Maybe a demotion in the villager status. They have to earn back the privilege to view those posts again. If they flake out on the swap and do not complete their end of the swap and do not notify the swap administrator, then they are back on junior villager status for 3 months and 40 posts (insert whatever time length/post level desired), or something like that, in addition to being put on the forum of shame.

And I apologize if I offended anyone by suggesting that those who do post often on the introductions/show & tell, etc did not have anything constructive to say. I was more trying to say that I am the type of person to hang back and only post when I feel I can contribute to the thread.

Yes, it would be very easy to add a time component (minimum number of days registered) to the requirements of obtaining Villager status. Those who have already become Villagers would not be affected because they have already received the promotion.

I want to be clear that these requirements would be only for the sake of privacy. That is, ensuring that members have posted a certain amount and been around for a while before they participate (that is, receive others' personal info) in the swaps and wish list. It would not ensure that they would be good swappers or wouldn't bail on a swap. We have found many times over that the amount of participation someone has here at the board does not necessarly indicate whether they are going to be a good swap partner or whether they will flake out or bail.

I'm glad my suggestion wouldn't have created alot of work :lol and I see I wasn't the only one to suggest it either, so i'm not brain dead from lack of sleep yet (yes I'm still here...its like a moth being attracted to a bug zapper :blush ) I do fully understand that any moderation added to the swaps will not affect the character(sp) of the swap-ee's but I do feel a time length and not just "x amount of posts" is needed. I'm sorry if that upsets anyone, its my opinion and I'm not shy about my opinion. lol :) But if the only reason someone joined in is to do the swaps, then they'll have to abide by the rules. I personally waited quite a while myself to join in the swaps, just because I was new to the neighborhood and I wanted to feel comfortable enough to know what to do and who to ask before I jumped into something I might not be able to do. Anyway I'm REALLY off to bed now, so I'll crawl off my soapbox now and talk to yall later :hug

:manyheartSherry

And I apologize if I offended anyone by suggesting that those who do post often on the introductions/show & tell, etc did not have anything constructive to say. I was more trying to say that I am the type of person to hang back and only post when I feel I can contribute to the thread.

LOL! I tried to add some winking and laughing smileys in - I knew that. It's a little bit of a sore point with me though and just felt the need to stand up for us super chatty ladies. I was partly speaking tongue in cheek, poking a little fun at myself, and trying to make a point at the same time.

IRL - I am more the hang back and wait type. Not sure why I am so "outgoing" on the internet.

I like the idea of having to be a member for a set period of time before you can participate in the swaps.

"a suggestion for those that duck out on swaps. Maybe a demotion in the villager status. They have to earn back the privilege to view those posts again..." I like this idea too.

OK, I had nothing more to say. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.:)

Anyone on this internet can gain access to your address. There are maps that if you put in an address it will show exactly where you live and how to get there. I have seen this with my own eyes. I was dumbfounded and couldnt believe it but it is happening.

How does someone get your address if they don't know your name just your username ? Yes I use that mapping program to find places myself but I still need a name or address. Some of us are concerned about people knowing our address just because some aren't doesn't make it any less a concern for the ones who do. Maybe some think it's a silly concern I don't.

Maybe a suggestion for those that duck out on swaps. Maybe a demotion in the villager status. They have to earn back the privilege to view those posts again. If they flake out on the swap and do not complete their end of the swap and do not notify the swap administrator, then they are back on junior villager status for 3 months and 40 posts (insert whatever time length/post level desired), or something like that, in addition to being put on the forum of shame.
This does have appeal, but there are a couple of problems with it.

(1) Getting Villager status means you can see and participate in both the swaps and the wish list. The way things are set up now, people who bail on swaps are not allowed to participate in other swaps for a while, but they can still be on the wish list.

Taking them off the wish list is slightly more difficult because there is no specified block of time for sending things out like there is with the swaps. Although we could remove their wish list, we would have to contact everybody that had asked for the person's address and tell them they were no longer on the wish list. Sometimes people ask for an address in advance and it could be weeks or possibly even months before they actually use it (I don't know how often this actually happens, but I know for sure it could be true in my case! :lol ). Then if their wish list priviledges were reinstated, we would have to let people know about that, too.

It gets a little complicated, so we decided swaps and the wish list would be considered separately. If anybody has input on this, please feel free to say so. I know it doesn't seem fair that delinquent swappers can still be on the wish list, but we haven't found a good way to deal with it.

(2) Taking away and reinstating Villager status would not be automatic. We'd have to have a list and keep up with how much time has elapsed and who needs to be reinstated. Lots of work.

LOL! I tried to add some winking and laughing smileys in - I knew that. It's a little bit of a sore point with me though and just felt the need to stand up for us super chatty ladies. I was partly speaking tongue in cheek, poking a little fun at myself, and trying to make a point at the same time.

IRL - I am more the hang back and wait type. Not sure why I am so "outgoing" on the internet.

I too love chatting on the Internet :hug I've met some great friends on here and that Includes my Darling Husband :manyheart So if anyone ever feels the need to chat away Im here to listen :cheer

(1) Getting Villager status means you can see and participate in both the swaps and the wish list. The way things are set up now, people who bail on swaps are not allowed to participate in other swaps for a while, but they can still be on the wish list.

(2) Taking away and reinstating Villager status would not be automatic. We'd have to have a list and keep up with how much time has elapsed and who needs to be reinstated. Lots of work.

I wasn't sure, when I suggested the demotion, how much work would be involved in this idea. And I am the last to suggest more work for any of the admins as they do so much already and I am sure like the rest of us, actually do have a life outside of c'ville. LOL.

I think alot of the ideas posted here have been great and this is a great thread to hear everyone's take on this recurring problem.

Can I be harsh for a minute???

If you cannot follow through with a swap obligation then you need to be grown up about it and 'fess up. Extenuating circumstances aside. Goodness knows we ALL know what it's like to have way to much slapped on our plates all the sudden. We also know that sometimes we have to admit we bite off more than we could chew. I think swap cordinaters would be glad for someone to admit that instead of disappearing.

Being the swappee of a couple who have disappeared, had a note been sent saying they couldn't I would have understood.

That all aside....

If you can be barred from swaps but not wish list and some see that as being unfair how bout a label? Keep membership status, ban from swaps and have below their username (where membership status is) have something like "bad swapper" or something....

Like I said, I'm being harsh, but it is an idea to throw out in the midst.

In my past board experiences where previlages were granted to those that have "stuck around"....The number post was secondary to senoirity. So in that there were quailty post and not just a race to get X amount. Meaning someone that have been around 3 months posting when they felt the need and didn't just post "great" ,"good", "nice work". The base thoguht is if you are willing to develope a "relationship" over a 3 month period there is no reason you should be able to make quaility post of say 100 in that time. Not sure about this forum format, but IPB you can set where people get credit for posting. So that they aren't getting credit for saying "hi" in the welcoming area, and in the chatty area. Only those post that are "subject/quaility" post count.

Okay done rambling.....:blush

"I know it doesn't seem fair that delinquent swappers can still be on the wish list, but we haven't found a good way to deal with it." - Donna

I think there's a difference between swapping and the Wishlist. The wishlist is set up purely as a voluntary thing. It's supposed to be for Random Acts of Kindness. I don't think there is any reason (other than protecting members addresses) that a person should be prevented from participating in the Wishlist. The wishlists are supposed to be about the giving not about who is receiving. Do we really want to say "Ok no one is to gift this person with an RAOK because s/he didn't fulfill their obligation to so and so."? There are NO obligations in the Wishlist so I don't think we should prevent participation based on the obligations of other programs.

I do think it's a good idea to limit participation to those who have been members for some length of time.