Owl Hat

wholewheat

This is my first ever written pattern, so bear with me! It is also untested, so if you find any mistakes please let me know!

Crochet Owl Hat

12 months to 24 months

I hook

Worsted weight yarn

2-3 oz of main color (MC)

Small amounts of tan, yellow and black for eyes, "ears" and ties.

Hat

In MC

Chain 3. Does not count as first hdc.

Work 10 hdc into 2nd chain from hook. Join. (10 st)

RND 1: Ch 1. 2 hdc in each st around. Join. (20 st)

RND 2: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the same st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (30 st)

RND 3: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the first 2 st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (40 st)

RND 4: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the first 3 st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (50 st)

RND 5-18: Ch 1. hdc around, Join. (50 st)

Finish off. Sew in tail.

Ear flaps

Join to a st on one side of hat, keeping the seem to the back. Repeat for the second earflap on opposite side.

Ch 1.

Hdc in the next 9 st. (9 st)

RND 1: Ch 1, turn. Hdc decrease in the first 2 st. Hdc in the next 5 st. Hdc decrease in the last 2 st. (7 st)

RND 2: Ch 1, turn. Hdc in each st across. (7 st)

RND 3: Ch 1, turn. Hdc decrease in the first 2 st. Hdc in the next 3 st. Hdc decrease in the last 2 st. (5 st)

RND 4: Ch 1, turn. Hdc in each st across. (5 st)

RND 5: Ch 1, turn. Hdc decrease in the first 2 st. Hdc in the next st. Hdc decrease in the last 2 st. (3 st)

RND 6: Ch 1, turn. Hdc in each st across, finish off. Sew in tail. (3 st)

Border

Join MC in the back of hat, ch 1 and hdc around the entire hat. Join, fasten off and sew in tail.

Eyes

(3 parts)

Make 2 of everything.

In tan

Chain 3.

Work 6 hdc into the 2nd chain from hook. Join. (6 st)

RND 1: Ch 1. 2 hdc in each st around. Join. (12 st)

RND 2: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the same st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (18 st)

RND 3: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the first 2 st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (24 st)

RND 4: Ch 1. *1 hdc in the first 3 st, 2 hdc in the next, repeat around. Join. (35 st)

Finish off. Leave long tail for sewing.

In yellow

Chain 3.

RND 1: Ch 1. 2 hdc in each st around. Join. (12 st)

In black

Chain 3.

Sew the black circles to the center of the yellow circles, then sew them both to the tan circles towards the edge.

Beak

The beak is made from five single crochet stitches which are naturally reduced by not using a turning stitch. I then crocheted once around the triangle to give it a nice finish. Leave a long tail for sewing.

Sew eyes and beak onto the front of the hat, use photo for placement.

"Ears"

Make 2, attatch on opposite sides.

4 pieces of yarn, approximately 2.5"

Fold hat in half, face up.

attach 3 rows down on the fold by pulling half the length through the pole of the stitch. Taking both halves, tie using and over hand knot. Trim length.

Ties

Cut 12 pieces of yarn approximately 20"

Split into groups of 6. Fold in half.

Attach to the 3rd middle chain of the earflaps by pulling the loop of the yarn pieces through the chain and then pulling the ends of the yard through the loop.

Braid each set, keep length even. Tie off. Trim ends.

post-43849-135897599026_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much for the adorable pattern! I have a friend who just loves animal hats & he has a young nephew. I'm sure he'd love me to make the little boy one of these. Wow! You are really imaginative & talented! Keep up the good work.

Just finished one of these it is the cutest thing EVER I am sending to my sister who was rather upset when her son wieghted 11 pounds at birth and was unable to fit the bear hat I made for him ....she is going to be sooooooooo excited when she gets this in the mail

The expression on that beautiful child's face melted my heart, is he thinking "what we kids do for our mums" or "this is mine now, so don't even think of taking it back." I'll go with the latter as I know from my kids and grand-children that once they like a hat it stays there be it a tea-cosy, or a girl guides beret (the same one belonging to my daughter was claimed by her daughter some twenty years on). My daughter's favourite teacosy 'hat' was used by her second child and my grand-sons. So this one you have made is definitely a pass on to my kids hat. It has all the ingredients, unique, nice fit, stylish and cute all rolled into one. And thank you for sharing, great one, hugs Joyce

• 4 weeks later...

Archived