Alnee

Native American afghan

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!!!

I would love to make an afghan for a close family friend. She is part Cherokee and always has the most gorgeous Native American decorations around her house. I thought doing an afghan that would fit into a similiar motive would be a wonderful gift for her. I found two afghans that are similiar to what I am looking for but they are available in sets only on herrschners website and I only need the pattern not the yarn (I already have that part picked out!)... Anyone know of a book with a good pattern in it or a free pattern somewhere? I am trying to avoid doing afghan stitch which it seems like many of the patterns I have looked at require... I just have not been able to get the hang of the stitch.

Here are the two that I was looking at so you can kinda see what I am talking about.

http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Navajo+Afghan+Crochet+Kit.aspx

http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Artful+Aztec+Afghan+Crochet+Kit.aspx

If I could just find the pattern without the kit I would be doing great! LOL

Just caught this post, I have a native American friend, don't think she would be too happy being given a Navajo article as she is not Navajo, maybe your friend is more open minded! Good luck, both designs look lovely, will you post a picture when it is finished?

Sometimes Herrschners sell the patterns by themselves or try EBay great resource for patterns. Try patterns central too they have a lot of free ones.

Just caught this post, I have a native American friend, don't think she would be too happy being given a Navajo article as she is not Navajo, maybe your friend is more open minded! Good luck, both designs look lovely, will you post a picture when it is finished?

I don't think the word Navajo is used in the strict anthropological sense here:lol

More of just a general Native American-inspired design i think;)