Sign in to follow this  
funnymom8

Wintuk yarn???

:yarnI am crocheting a hat with some wintuk yarn that I got from the thrift store. Where can I buy this yarn? Is it still being made? Or something similar? It's so nice and soft, I'm going to miss using it when I run out.:( Right now I have enough to make this slouch hat and some matching texting mitts.:hook

My Joann's clearanced it out a few months ago, but I see it is still available through their website. It could also be purchased online at shop.caron.com. I do not know where to find it other than online.

What you are seeing for sale mention Wintuk is vintage stuff, probably from the 1960s-1970s.  

It's not a specific brand and yarn style, it's a tradename for the raw material (acrylic recipe), like Orlon (both are DuPont).  I think back in the 'better living through chemistry' days it was a big deal to mention it, or maybe that was their agreement with DuPont for a period of time.  Many brand names touted 'Wintuk' material ( I see Sears, KMart, Brunswick, Caron, LIly, Coats & Clark Wintuk goggling around). 

Before Red Heart Super Saver came along, Wintuck and Sayelle were THE acrylic yarns. They were soft but also sturdy. They were modestly priced, but much better quality than a lot of the "store's own brand" types of acrylic that were around at the time. There were a lot of awful acrylics back then.

Edited by Real Deal