Solid Spike Stitch

yvetteg

Question

Ok I admit I am still a newbie to crochet at times and patterns are difficult to comprehend at times for me. I picked up a sampler book called 63 sampler stitches to crochet put out by Leisure arts. It has a lovely white afghan on the front. The reason I picked it up was I wanted to learn some new stitches and wanted to use a few to make scarfs with. So my first one I tried was number 34 Solid Spike Stitch. Either the directions are screwed up or I just am going cross eyed with it. first row is simple

chain 32

Row one is in sixth chain double crochet then chain one skip next chain and in second chain double crochet then chain one repeat till end of the chain. (this one is the easy row)

Row Two ch 2 (counts as first hdc and throughout) turn working around next chain dc one row below *ch 1 skip next dc work around next ch dc in skipped chain below *repeat from * across to last dc. hdc in last dc.

16 sts and 13 chains.

But maybe its me but seems the hdc is missing from second row so you can do the spikes maybe I am crazy

10 answers to this question

I don't have the pattern but to me it reads you do the dcs in the skiped chs in row one starting over the ch which will make them around the ch with the ch 1 in between them. to end with the hdc you do it in the 3rd ch of the beginning ch allowing for the ch one between.

I don't have the pattern but to me it reads you do the dcs in the skiped chs in row one starting over the ch which will make them around the ch with the ch 1 in between them. to end with the hdc you do it in the 3rd ch of the beginning ch allowing for the ch one between.

That's what it sounds like to me too. Try the next row and I bet it will come together. Mary

Yvetteg,

I am a newbie and I have terrible times following patterns. But, I have that same book and I did just try it out. I did get it to work once I understood that you are picking up the stitch on the bottom of the empty box made by the chain 1.

It looks like the end of every other row has two stitches side by side without the chain1, the dc in the box and the hdc at the end makes the height OK.

0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T t

t 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 0

:)

0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T t

T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 T 0 0

:)

0 0 0 0 0 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is my lame attempt at a chart. FIRST, where the smilies are.... slide those to the end of the row, I can't get the o's to stay at the end.

And, I cut it down by half, trying to get the darn o's to stay at the end.

The T's are DC, the t's are hdc. The DC goes through the SC below it.

I hope this helps, I am actually thrilled that I finally got one of the patterns in that book right. (And if I am wrong, no one tell me LOL).

Archived