Ruff-Neck Sweater

CascadeConsumer

Question

I thought I'd take a chance and see if any of the more experienced here might be willing to do some "translation" work here. :)

I came across a really interesting pattern. Well, to me it's captivating... it's from 1916 and is a classic old-style men's sweater. There's a picture of it on the website.

My problem is that the pattern is, well... it's not entirely clear at all. I think it has to do with both antiquated language and the presumption of a level of expertise.

I have a few questions. First off, would anybody be willing to "translate" this into a more clear, detailed pattern using modern conventions?

And also, seeing as it's from 1916, I presume the chances are good that the yarn and hook sizes are name-brand specific. What modern standard sizes do you think would be indicated for this kind of project?

Anyway, this may be asking a lot but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anybody would be willing to give it a shot. Thanks! :D

http://freevintagecrochet.com/print/488

2 answers to this question

I would use a #4 worsted weight yarn and a size G crochet hook. Looks like all sc, blo (back loop only), and flo (front loop only) stitches to me.

Wish I had time to "translate" it for you, but to many things on my plate right now.

Actually, it looks like moss stitch, sort of. Both loops, then back loop. Next row, front loop then both loops.

The main body of directions looks like short row shaping. Definitely doable but would probably require several froggings along the way. LOL

Archived