Hook exploration

webpen

I love crochet hooks and the variety of hooks available. Recently I've purchased several different hooks to experiment with: Addi size H, Susan Bates with wooden handle size J, Jimbo size K, Sistermaide (Etsy) size I. Each hook has it's good qualities and I like each of them, especially the hand made wooden ones. I don't like Boye aluminum but can tolerate Bates aluminum. However when my hand gets tired, I always go back to the Clover soft touch and it's like coming home. Love those hooks.

My new personal favorite is the Tulip Etimo brand. They seem to glide like butter through every yarn I've used them with. They're available through the Caron website.

I have tried a few differnt ones myself. I have a Jimbo hook, which I keep because Jimbo made it, but doesnt seem to fit me(sorry Jimbo), my daughters bought me some plastic ones once, the yarn kept gettin caught on it. I prefer the aluminum ones either Boyle or Bates. I also use pencil grip cushions on the bigger ones for finger comfort.

my "go to" hooks have been boye as long as I have been stitching, until I won one of the etimo hooks here on the 'ville. It has become my new favorite, and it is an h which is the size I use most often.

I was looking at the clover soft touch the last time I was in hobby lobby. At first glance, I thought it was an etimo :think. Maybe I will try that one as well.

I don't care for plastic hooks either, the yarn was actually squeaking and didn't slide well, I can't go back to that,it was painful, lol.

My favorite hooks are the Clover Soft Touch too. I recently bought a Tulip Etimo hook from Ebay (I can't find them in stores) and have been using it, but I think I'll go back to the Clover Soft Touch. If I could have a hook that was a cross between the Clover Soft Touch and the Tulip Etimo, then I'd be content! The Tulip Etimo has a nice grip, but I wish it were wider or larger like the Clover Soft Touch.

My favorite hooks are the Susan Bates Bamboo handle hooks. I find the clover soft touch too short. I use the knife hold when I crochet and wonder if that makes a difference. Do those of you who like the Clover Soft Touch crochet with the overhand (like a knife) or do you hold your hook like a pencil?

What about the Etimo? Is that also a short hook like the Clover Soft Touch?

Thanks!

I love my Turn of the Century hooks. But they are for at home use only.

I use Boye aluminum for other projects that I want to take with me.

(of course I have temporarily misplaced my hook case with all my aluminum hooks in it!)

I have a few hand carved bamboo hooks from SERRV, but they are pointy and catch the yarn.

I have just reciently tried the new Boye hooks for thread with the wooden handles. I use the pencil hold, and they fit perfect in my hand and after a while are warm to the touch.

My hands do not get as tired with these as they do with regular steele hooks.:hook

• 1 month later...
I have just reciently tried the new Boye hooks for thread with the wooden handles. I use the pencil hold, and they fit perfect in my hand and after a while are warm to the touch.

My hands do not get as tired with these as they do with regular steele hooks.:hook

Where did you get the Boye hooks with the handles? I haven't seen them and they aren't listed on their web site.

As a general comment, I haven't met a hook I didn't like. :hook

I meant to say Susan Bates, not Boye. Sorry for the mistake.:hook

• 4 weeks later...

I just got that set of thread hooks that screw on to external handle which makes needle handle like a size g or h for any of the thread sizes, haven't test drove it yet might put a grip on the handle and see how it goes...would love to try out those wooden handled ones they do look really comfortable,and are a set hook , I am not really into all this screw in stuff in hooks or knitting needles lol I am a pencil holder especially with thread. Ain't we the spoiled ones compared to our ancestors whom didn't have all these lovely choices :)

I find that they all have their special uses. Of course my steel hooks for thread, Bates for most yarns, but Boye is best for fuzzy yarns. I had a love affair with my Rose hook (a gift from a great swap partner). And I only found them online, looks like plastic but is metal. My great looking wood hook was also a gift, and I liked it alot too.

I use the knife grip, and hooks have to feel comfortable in the palm of my hand as I use the ring and pinky finger to press the hook to my palm which gives me better movement of the hook. I also depend alot on the thumb rest for a counter balance, so hooks without that are hard for me to use.

Archived