Flower-a-Month Project CAL

textilefusion

The plan is to crochet flowers and leaves that are featured in the book Crochet Bouquet, but you know what?!--if you prefer a different pattern or if you design your own, you are absolutely welcome to join in.

Now (November 2010) is a great time to buy Crochet Bouquet from amazon.com, because it's on sale at $8.22 per copy, plus shipping. That's nearly half-off the cover price.

(You can help Crochetville in the process--when you see an amazon link on Crochetville, follow it to make your purchase.)

This month's featured flower is the Ray Flower, because it is four years old this month. Happy Birthday, dear Ray Flower! :birthday

Find it on pages 31-32 of Crochet Bouquet.

There's also a step-by-step tutorial at http://www.textilefusion.com/bookblog/?p=414

If you have questions or comments or suggestions for the next Flower of the Month, please post! Oh yeah, I just remembered--C'ville folks are never shy about posting. Yay!

post-25577-135897593879_thumb.gif

Thank you! I hope you join.

Nice thing about all the flowers is that you can use scraps and leftover yarns. Also, you can mix different yarns in one flower, as long as they're more-or-less the same weight of yarn.

And of course you can use any colors you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Crocheting flowers is a great way to use up scraps!! Here are ray flowers in both sizes, all made from scraps from my collection (I prefer the sophisticated sound of "collection" over the secretive sound of "stash").

For results that look like the flwer in the book, use yarns that are very similar in weight. For interesting and unpredictable results, mix up yarn sizes.

post-25577-135897599727_thumb.gif

I finished my first one but I'm not happy :grump with the colors that I chose. I'm thinking about making a second one and then crochet them together for a small pot holder. I'll take a picture tomorrow if it is sunny enought to get a good picture. :crocheting

Here is a picture of the flowers.

post-6618-135897600387_thumb.jpg

I hadn't thought about coasters. I crochet loose so my flowers turned out a bit larger than the size in the book even though I used an 'F' hook. For the next flower I may use size 5 pearl cotton.

Do you have a flower picked out for December?

• 2 weeks later...

It's December and time for a new Flower CAL!

This month's CAL is the Popcorn in the Middle, pages 88 and 89 of Crochet Bouquet.

If you have any trouble with this flower, please post here and we'll help.

Here's one I made using three colors. You can customize this flower with one or more colors.

post-25577-135897602937_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can use any weight of thread or yarn to crochet the flowers in Crochet Bouquet.

Here's the Popcorn in the Middle, crocheted in Caron's Country (light worsted weight) and Aunt Lydia's No. 10 crochet cotton.

The difference in size is amazing!

post-25577-135897609226_thumb.gif

• 2 months later...
Luckily flowers don't take very long to crochet!

I know I haven't checked in for awhile, just wanted to say your flowers are looking great! I have been crocheting flowers for baby hats but never find time to take a photo before I give them away!

... but never find time to take a photo before I give them away!

I'm having this same problem lately--not enough time for photos of new projects!

Right now, I'm taking pics of real flowers, which are blooming all over the place here in TX. I love spring!

• 2 weeks later...

The Orchid on pages 61-62 of Crochet Bouquet is our April Flower Crochet-Along. I hope you'll try it!

It is made in 4 pieces: the back three petals all in one piece, the two side petals, and the round petal in front. The petals are not all symmetrical, so you need to pay attention to the pattern.

The Orchid pattern is a great one to play with, because you can mix colors and textures of yarn in the strangest combinations, and there's probably an orchid out there that looks just like what you've crocheted. They are very, very interesting flowers.

I used the lovely ArtYarns merino for the orchid in the picture.

post-25577-135897649257_thumb.gif

Archived