Crocheted Sporran

smileyface56

For Halloween I wanted to wear my Grandpa’s Kilt and go as a Highlander. I couldn’t find his Sporran so I made one. You can even use it as a purse! The pic is of me at work on Halloween in my Grandpa’s Kilt, garters/flashes and a Tam with “fake” hair that matched the Kilt!

Measurements: Overall size is 7 inches wide by 9 inches long.

Back and flap=14 inches by 7 inches.

Front= 7 inches by 7 inches.

Materials: 5mm hook, 3 x 50gm balls of worsted weight yarn, chain (measure your waist and subtract the width of the top of the folded edge) or you can make a belt with yarn or use a regular belt or chain (I used a dog chain for mine and cut the handle off.) and a button or snap for closer, and a yarn needle.

Front:

Chain 4, 5 double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook.

Row 2: ch 2 (counts as first dc), turn, dc in first dc, 2 dc in ea of the next 5 dc. (12 dc in this row)

Row 3: ch 2 (counts as first dc), turn, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc) 5 times. (18 dc in this row)

Row 4: ch 2 (counts as first dc), turn, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in ea of the next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 5 times. (24 dc in this row)

Rows 5 &6: repeat row 4, adding 1dc extra in ea row. Ch1 and turn at end of row 6.(my half circle didn’t turn out even, so I added the following rows, and you may need to add rows to get the right height as well)

Rows 7 to 13: This you will be crocheting across the top and in sc.

Sc all round, fasten off.

Back and flap (made in one piece):

Ch 30, 1 dc in 4th st from hook, 1 dc in next 26 sts (28 dc) ch 1, 4 sc over last dc, ch 1, 1 sc in space after each dc on other side (26 sc) ch 1, 4 sc over 3 ch, ch 1, 1 sc between each dc on other side (26 sc).

Row 2: Ch 2, 1 dc in ch 1, 2 dc in each of 4 sc, 2 dc in ch 1 (12 dc on end), 1 dc in each of next 27 sc, 2 dc in ch 1, 2 dc in each of 4 sc, 2 dc in ch 1, 1 dc in each sc on other side (26 dc) sl st to ch-3.

Row 3: Ch 2. 1 dc in next 2 sps, ** 2 dc in next sp, 1 dc in next sp * repeat from ** 4 times, (18 dc on end), 1 dc in next 27 sps ** repeat between ** and sl st to ch-3.

Row 4: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 3 sps, ** 2 dc in next sp. 1 dc in next 2 sps * repeat from ** 4 times, (24 dc on end), 1 dc in next 27 sps ** repeat from ** and sl st to ch-2.

Rows 5 to 6: Continue in the same manner, adding 6 dc on the ends in each row, having the 2 dc over 2 dc of previous row and sl st to ch-3.

Edge: 1 sc in each dc around. Fasten off.

Finishing:

Place the front piece on the bottom of the wrong side of oval back piece and sew in place.

Tassels: (Make three)

The easiest way I’ve found to make tassels is to wrap yarn around your fingers. Don’t wrap too tight as you have to insert a strand of yarn between your fingers and tie off the loops. Wrap yarn around your fingers 19 times. Then cut a 6 inch length of yarn and slip it between your fingers and the wrapped yarn. Slip yarn off of fingers and tie. Cut another 10 inch length of yarn and wrap around both thicknesses about ½ inch down from top. Wrap around three times, tie in a knot, leaving ends as long as the tassel and feed down through the center using a hook or a needle. Cut the bottom loops and fluff.

Attaching the Tassels:

Lay out the tassels on the front piece, with the two outside ones slightly shorter than the middle one. Use hook or yarn needle to sew the long end thread to the front piece.

Finishing:

Sew the button or snap to the front piece.

Belt or Chain:

“The sporran is typically suspended from a sporran belt which is a narrow belt (separate from the kilt belt) made of leather or chain. This sporran belt is sometimes run through a pair of small loops provided for that purpose on the back of the kilt. Occasionally the sporran is suspended from special leather belt loops which enable the sporran to be hung directly from the kilt belt. This is often done when a chain is used as the chain might otherwise chafe the kilt.”

Tab for the chain or belt: (these instructions are for a chain. If you use a belt, make the tab a little wider than the belt)

You will be making a long narrow tab for the chain to slip thru to hold the Sporran.

-ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each sc across, ch 1 and turn.

Rounds 1-25: sc in each sc across, chain 1 and turn.

At end of round 25: DO NOT FASTEN OFF. Sc all around the tab edge and fasten off.

-To attach the tab: pin to back of Sporran where the flap starts. Sew top of tab all across and fasten off. Repeat for the bottom of tab.

Fasten off and insert chain through the tab and cut off the leash handle and you are done!!!

post-2027-135897593144_thumb.jpg

post-2027-135897593178_thumb.jpg

post-2027-135897593179_thumb.jpg

post-2027-13589759318_thumb.jpg

post-2027-135897593182_thumb.jpg

post-2027-135897593182_thumb.jpg

Archived